V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

4/10/11 First time at the drag strip with the 01' -=- DriverMod XL has Started!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue07V6
Im itching to turn out the 98 on the strip, the the open rear diff makes for bad tire spin off the line, nevertheless ill prob make an appearance at the local strip after I get some good tires on her. Guess Ill just hold my head up high and run my 17Et with pride.
I got a 18.1 in my Taurus. You must beat that
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

man i was looking through some post and was wondering if the drivermod XL started yet for you lol. Ive never had my car to the drag strip untuned but im sure you can get much better results. at least that gives you a good start, you can probably see a good bump in the times with little effort. as for the pedal, to the gas pedal mod so you dont have to worry about the carpet holding you back
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

We ran again tonight, this time I was the driver so the car was 200lbs heavier (Yeah, I am a big guy. )

Even with the total weight 200lbs more I managed to beat my wifes time, just barely.

I ran a best of 16.320 @ 84.7mph

I will post a scan up soon.
I got to race 13 times tonight, so lots of practice time.

I should also add, this is the first time I have ever raced at the track, EVER!

Even launching on the last yellow I was still getting slow reaction times, .6xxx - .8xxx mostly .8xxx
Old 05-01-2011, 04:04 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Here is the slip for the new time.
I will put Aprils run next to mine, mine is the really dark one.
I played with the tune a little bit and took the shift points down to 5250rpms, this run was done at about 5500rpms though because I manually shifted it for this run.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

You can see on her run it was having the shift point set so high that killed the silver slugs time as she had me beat on everything till the end.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:00 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

do you care about reaction time? i usually dont. it doesnt count for anything unless you are doing some real competition or if you are just trying to pull off a good reaction time for the hell of it.

the car was so consistent both runs though that i dont know how you did it. was the air that much cooler that time? i mean 200 more lbs and a slightly slower 60' is a lot to overcome. did you give the car a tune up at all? gas pedal mod? did you possibly have a full tank of gas when she ran and you had an almost empty? Im stumped lol. Still good stuff! You might be on to something
Old 05-01-2011, 08:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I was leaving the line every time it hit the last Yellow and the best I could do was a 6.952 lol
For us, getting the best reaction is part of the race but we are both rusty. It had been years since I had done a burnout, then I go do 13 in a row that night. lol
We havnt competed yet this year so its just for practice.

We both had just under half a tank when we starded, fueld up with 91. Hers was bought at Sams Club, mine was bought at Conoco. I got to run 13 times though and she ran 5 because of delays. My best time came in on my 9th run and hers on her 4th so by that time I had less fuel than her.

No tune ups (Doesnt need one ) and we both had mid 60's for temps. I started earlier so temps were in the uppers 60's till dusk.

Useing a little ET math for the same car I divided my fasted 1/4 time by my 1/8 mile time then took that number and times it by her 1/8 time.

Had she run with my same shift points she could have ran a 16.18 according to the ET match for like vehicles.

So it really should have been:

16.18 (Hers)
16.32 (Mine)

The only change between the two runs was weight and shift points.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 05-06-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

thats pretty impressive that the shift points matter that much. so youre in third way before you pass the line? because my car shifts into third right before i pass the line, but i also dont have the canned tune

and are you on street tires? if so its best not to do a burnout, go around the water box if possible, at least thats what ive been told and in my experience it has helped a lot. one time i was in the lane after the water box for a good long time because a 17 second cobalt broke somehow and they were making sure nothing was on the track, i did a burnout before hand but the tires must have cooled down a little and i pulled off my best 60' ever, just something to experiment with
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yeah, right before the line I shift to third.
I tried it so I didnt shift till the line and that slowed me down, so allowing it to shift to third the last few dozen feet helped it.

I am running street tires, hard ones too. x_x
I am at the wear bar now on that tire, did 13 too many burn outs... lol
I am not too bothered though, still trying to find my wheels.

I will give that a try next time, just going around the water box.
Next time though I will have the MotoBlues on so the time wont really reflect these times.

My trans would make a high pitched rising whine sound when I went above 5000rpms or so, I kinda liked it. :P About the only mechanical sound in the car right now! lol
Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i wonder what would happen if you shift a little bit earlier than what you are now... i mean like a few dozen feet before those few dozen feel before the line makes me want to go and experiment

Quick Reply: 4/10/11 First time at the drag strip with the 01' -=- DriverMod XL has Started!