V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Souping Up '98 Mustang Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

First, welcome to the forum!

We just had Thrush Welded Series mufflers installed on my son's 98 coupe. Had them cut into the factory y-pipe after the catalytic converters, and ran 2-1/2" pipe into tapered turndowns at the bumper (no chrome tips). Went with an h-pipe crossover as well. The car has a nicer tone without being obnoxious.

You will want to read the forums for add'l research to see what works and what doesn't.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:59 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

Originally Posted by Blue07V6
TRUE

Bulding a "fast" car requires a lot more engine work that most first time owners are capable of. F/I, top end kit, etc. Depending on your definition of fast. Anything my 5.0 F150 (a rolling box) can outrun isnt fast. 15sec isnt fast. 13sec is fast, and that cant be easily done with the 3.8. It depends on your definition of fast and how much WORK you are willing to put into it.

With an auto a good tune can make a world of difference, ask Jthorn9, he has great results from tuning up the auto. I think "faster" is a better word than "fast"

Personally I wouldnt say a KandN cold air intake does nothing, I think its a very worth while swap, unoless you like swapping in a cheepo factory filter ever couple of months. though not a "go fast" goodie it def is worth adding IMO.

My point is that making a 3.8 into a street car to not be taken lightly requires a lot of know-how and time. And more work than I would do to a daily driver. Im not knocking the cars, mine has been great, but a $2500 1998 3.8 isnt worth spending the time and $$$$ to supercharge, or build.

I have 2 3.8s, one I will build for a 68 hotrod, the other in my 98 will remain very close to stock. BUT they serve 2 very different purposes, one is a hot rod, the other is a cheap realiable daily drive. One I plan to M112 and mild build, the other just drive. I have decided against doing anything magor to my daily driver.

Also (speaking from expirience) I do not find it wise for a newbie to dive headlong into a complex build on their daily driver, IMOP take it simple to start with, learn you car, then take it slow, you can NEVER research too much before you mod. For a daily driver that is both fun and still reliable I (and I practice what I preach) say:
Tune up (I have had great luck from Autolight Platnum plugs)
True duals
K&N filter
Tune

I believe that your money will be MUCH MUCH MUCH more wisely spent making sure everything is maintained, making sure the car has a good set of tires for your driving conditions, making sure the fluids are fresh or still in their life span, and just making basic mods.

Has the car every been tuned up? Tranmission flushed? Coolant flushed? What shape are the tires in? thats more important in a daily driver. Most people choose the SN95 3.8 because its cheap, this said they probably dont have money for expensive mods. YES there are some FAST 3.8s, it can be done, but frankly the car isnt worth dumping a lot of $$$$$ into. Yes you can build a turbo kit yourself and use junkyard parts and friend help to build a nice hotrod, BUT this is totally out of the ability of most newbies. Again, not trying to belittle people just being honest.
My cousin (not a car guy by ANY MEANS) bolted a v1-s trim supercharger to his 91 fox body in about 2 hours with 0 help from me. He called me asked me to come over to help when I woke up the next day and by the time I got to his apartment I just had to help him slip the belt on. Point of this story? If you have a decent set of tools, and common sense then your fine. Previously he hadn't even changed his spark plugs in his other vehicle (4.2 f150) Anybody can install a s/c kit on a 94-04 v6 mustang in a few hours (or a weekend)

13s are "kinda quick" not fast anymore.

Third: Making a 13 or 12 second 3.8 is relatively easy if you do some research. There is a chick "blondiestang" her bf built her a home turbo kit , its an auto and runs mid 12s. Prob not more than 1500-1800$ into that setup. Vortech kits can be found for 1200$, procharger kits 1500$, etc.

My car is/was my daily driver back then, with the vortech, no problems and I never had a single problem. As far as spark plug's the platinum plugs usually suck on these cars.

Edit:
I'm not a "mechanic" either, I'm a "computer nerd" by trade, when I bought my vortech kit back fresh out of high school I hadn't ever changed my oil or spark plugs either my dad did it. But since I didn't want him to know about the supercharger I did it myself in 8 hours.

Last edited by ESG-642T; 07-24-2011 at 05:05 PM.