V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Used to have a GT, now getting a v6.. question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Highandry

Default Used to have a GT, now getting a v6.. question

I used to have a 2000 GT, flowmasters and tuned which was really enjoyable to drive, but a jackass in a van decided to run a red light and sent my isabella to her grave...

Just want to know if I can still peel out from traffic lights like my v8 did..
Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Highandry

Also what can I do performance wise... to get it as least as powerful as my v8 was?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yes and no. The V6 has an open diff, so all the power goes to one wheel. However I will say that if you are peeling out at stop lights, consider how much of a jerk you're acting like on a public roadway.

As for power, anything you can do to a V8 you can do to a V6. I'd suggest starting with a lot of reading, set a power goal and a budget.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Highandry

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Yes and no. The V6 has an open diff, so all the power goes to one wheel. However I will say that if you are peeling out at stop lights, consider how much of a jerk you're acting like on a public roadway.

As for power, anything you can do to a V8 you can do to a V6. I'd suggest starting with a lot of reading, set a power goal and a budget.
Well, i'm an **** on the roads, not going to lie about that...

But anyway, so if all the power is attributed to one wheel i guess it'd be harder to control launching it than a v8? Or just extreme wear on one tire..
Old 12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Or buy an 8.8 out of a GT, or a locker for the 7.5 and solve your problem.

Truth is, you are going from slow to slower ...
For the rest, what he said about read, set goals, and budget and get busy.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:06 AM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to be launching from stop lights on a regular basis you should NOT be investing in the T-Lok. Those are way too fragile to handle aggressive driving that frequently. Definitely invest in an 8.8 rear end from a GT.

CAI, exhaust, tune to start... Get a feel for the gains and if you think it's worth investing more money into shoot for some LT headers, under drive pullies, possibly a windstar upper.

Like LilRoush said though, it's all about how much you're willing to spend to squeeze power out of these V6s
Old 12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WoahPony
If you're going to be launching from stop lights on a regular basis you should NOT be investing in the T-Lok. Those are way too fragile to handle aggressive driving that frequently. Definitely invest in an 8.8 rear end from a GT.

CAI, exhaust, tune to start... Get a feel for the gains and if you think it's worth investing more money into shoot for some LT headers, under drive pullies, possibly a windstar upper.

Like LilRoush said though, it's all about how much you're willing to spend to squeeze power out of these V6s
8.8s arent that much better, had issues on a friends stock mach 1, detroit true trac would be much better
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
mustangmike09
2nd Gear Member

Detroit yes on a 31 spline set up, with some 4.56s ( say F it to highway mileage )
Then just do a turbo kit. Dont waste your money on ANYTHING else besides a handheld tuner and turbo kit. After you do that, you have the custom exhaust done, then you can work on HCI.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

99-04 V6 - approx 150-165 rwhp stock
99-04 GT - approx 220-235 rwhp stock

Big difference, the V6 won't feel or perform anything like the GT. This is coming from somebody that owned both. And the V6 will require lots of cash to get it to perform like a GT. In short, if you want the power just get another GT or upgrade to a Mach 1 or Cobra.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
donald g brewer

What year of V-6 are you looking at I have a 2011 3.7 which will hold it's on with any of the stock GT 4.6 300 hp cars.

Quick Reply: Used to have a GT, now getting a v6.. question