V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Dont want to be a poser?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
Our 16yo son, Jack, and I have been working on his project car since he was 14yo. Part of the rebuild included a Cobra bumper and Cobra R hood. Jack avoided the poser issue by not putting any Cobra badges on the car. There's still the correct Mustang in the grill, and the tri-bar ponies on the fenders -

In terms of performance, much of the GT performance upgrades will apply to the V6's as well. So lighter wheels and driveshaft will cut down on rotational weight for more power to the ground. Suspension upgrades are the same as for the GT's (a tubular K-frame up front will shed some weight). There are other things you could remove to save weight, but at the loss of comfort (HVAC system, stripping the interior, etc).
BTW - this is a beautiful car, v6 or not. I'd be proud to own it... Wish I had the funds to fix a few dents and repaint my 97 Cobra...
Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MUSTANGV6DUDE
Im 16 and I have a 1996 v6. I want to put a cobra front bumper on it and hood pins. Would I be a poser if I did that since I have a V6? I also want to make my car into a light weight track car.... And yes I know it's a V6 but I want to make it a good handling track car over the next couple years. What can I do to make it more light weight?
I won't address the Cobra bumper since it's been beaten to death.

Hood pins are a safety feature when you are on the track, and I highly suggest them with an aftermarket hood (if you are racing). I'd leave them off until the point you actually hit the track with the car.

To save weight, start pulling off stuff you don't want. Seats are heavy - lightweight fronts help, rear seat delete helps. Lighter wheels, tubular suspension (which will be needed for better handling anyway). Air Conditioning weights a lot (I realize some aren't willing to go that far). If you really want to shed lbs... pull out the dash and start yanking out ducting for the A/C and heat, lose the radio/speakers/wiring etc... Get out the torch and a scraper and get rid of all the sound deadening material under the carpet and behind the plastic interior trim panals...