V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Question on getting a indash touch screen stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Blue GT

Default Question on getting a indash touch screen stereo

Hi, im new to this whole forums thing sorry if did anything wrong on posting this.
Anyways I recently just bought my first car, it's a 2001 v6 mustang convertible converted into a gt clone. The thing I was wondering is whether its a good idea to get a touch screen radio put in since its a convertible I currently just have the stock which doesn't work to good anymore and if its an okay idea to either get one that comes out with a bottom or if there is a removable one to lesson the chances of getting the top cut and the radio stolen or anything like that
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
HellSWAT

Welcome to the forums
I have this installed on my 2004 v6 mustang coupe: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/AVH-P3400BH
Works extremely well on my stock mach 460 sound system.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM
WTRedmond

If you are worried about security of your vehicle, I'd look into getting an alarm with a proximity sensor, as it will warn away anyone that gets too close to your ride, and if they decide to cut their way in, the alarm will go off.

Now, as whether to get a touchscreen or not, that's a decision only you can make, though they are nice to have.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by WTRedmond
If you are worried about security of your vehicle, I'd look into getting an alarm with a proximity sensor, as it will warn away anyone that gets too close to your ride, and if they decide to cut their way in, the alarm will go off.

Now, as whether to get a touchscreen or not, that's a decision only you can make, though they are nice to have.
Ugh, those proximity alarms are ghetto. "Warning, step away from the vehicle, this vehicle is armed with an anti-intrusion system, failure to step away from the vehicle will result in alarm you have 10 seconds to comply"

The best were the ones that actually counted down.
A favorite past time we played with my old car that had it (back in the early 90's) was to see how close you could get to 0 before the alarm went off. Mine didn't actually count down though.

they'd be better if they said and did something like 'Yo ****** f****r, get your fat **** off my hood/bumper/door. If you don't I'm gonna TAZ YOU! You got 2 seconds to move your fat lazy **** off my...oh hell with it, TTZZZZZZZ!!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

If you're worried about it getting broken into, get full coverage. Alarms don't stop anybody and nobody pays attention to them when they go off anyway.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM
WTRedmond

Originally Posted by Derf00
Ugh, those proximity alarms are ghetto. "Warning, step away from the vehicle, this vehicle is armed with an anti-intrusion system, failure to step away from the vehicle will result in alarm you have 10 seconds to comply"

The best were the ones that actually counted down.
A favorite past time we played with my old car that had it (back in the early 90's) was to see how close you could get to 0 before the alarm went off. Mine didn't actually count down though.

they'd be better if they said and did something like 'Yo ****** f****r, get your fat **** off my hood/bumper/door. If you don't I'm gonna TAZ YOU! You got 2 seconds to move your fat lazy **** off my...oh hell with it, TTZZZZZZZ!!!!!
a proximity sensor is not the same thing as a voice alert module, and some voice modules you can program with custom voices. I will agree voice modules can be a bit cheesy, but a proximity sensor is a great deterent, as are security systems, plus with all the two way systems out now, you can get alerts either on your keyfob (if in range) or on your phone (iphone and androids only).
Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM
bluejerry

Not sure if this is a hijack or return to original topic. I have a 12 convertible that I have though about upgrading the head unit to a touch screen.

My question is glare versus security. If some thief wants in they will get in.

Any convertible owners out there with touchscreens in there daily driver who can comment on visibility in daylight with top down?

jerry
Old 07-08-2012, 01:37 PM
HellSWAT

My head unit had a built in anti-glare coating... I'm sure most manufacturer would have the same thing... so don't worry about the glare.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:19 PM
H1ck55ter
2nd Gear Member

and the head units have brightness settings, and get pretty darn bright so even if you didnt have anti glare you would cut through it, the one i have has anti glare, but agian im not in a convertable, but when i drive with the window down and the sun glares in through the window i dont have a problem. they have some kick *** ones out there, mine when i plug in my ipod to it turns into the ipod on the screen, ofcourse with the programing in it dosnt look like apple, but it dose all the things you can do on your ipod trough your unit, happy hunting.