V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

How much life is left in her?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Protokiller

Default How much life is left in her?

Hello all, so I recently bought a 1998 dark blue Mustang from a tow yard on a lien sale for $1200 as my first car.

It has 273,000 miles on it and counting, it was the only car I saw all day within my price range that was not completely falling apart.

I was wondering if it was a bad buy and most of you think it's and the end of it's ropes or if you think that if maintained properly it can last a long time to come.

I don't know about the previous owner much but it had an empty oil container in the trunk when I got it so it seems he may have at least been regular on the oil.

The car runs like a dream with no stalling or hesitation and no problems shifting. The car is very quiet with no rattles and the check engine light is not on.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If it runs, just take care of it. This things can run forever and a day.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

welcome to mustang forums!!

just keep up on oil changes and tune ups it should be fine... treat it good it will treat you good back !
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Protokiller

I'm going to take extremely good care of it, this car is like my baby!

I've driven cars before but never had a drivers license, my dad promised me a car at 16 but around that time he lost his job and has not really had one of any kind since and back when I was 16 I was obsessed with Camaro's, Firebirds, and Mustangs.

It is almost like a dream come true to get this car and I have spent lots of time cleaning the inside and have hand washed the outside, I will try to make this car last as long as it can!

I'm 21 years old and already passed the written port of the driving test just got another permit just want a little more experience driving with someone before I take the test.

I can't wait to drive this thing with the radio on with just me in the car with the freedom to go anywhere, I think at that moment I'll actually "feel" like an adult.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Damn I thought my wife was old at 19 when she got her license. 21!? Wow. I got a permit at 14 or 15..been too long hahaha...license at 17.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Your only about 400,000 miles short of the highest mileage car here, just keep taking care on her
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Protokiller

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Damn I thought my wife was old at 19 when she got her license. 21!? Wow. I got a permit at 14 or 15..been too long hahaha...license at 17.
My parents were not the greatest. I had the ability to get a permit whenever and I had one at 18 as well however the entire year I had that permit my parents never had insurance on their van so I didn't want to risk getting pulled over with no insurance even on a learners permit.

They never had insurance in like 3 years despite the fact it was only like $30/mo for them and they could afford it and eventually that van blew up, not that I wanted to drive it without tags and insurance anyway and I finally have an opportunity to drive a car finally if I just get a license and insure my own car in jan.

I walked into the dmv and registered the car and got another permit just need to take the driving part.

If my dad had bought me a car at 16 like he had said I would have got my license then. Once my stepdad had a 1998 GT with ONE payment left that he was leasing but let it go back to the dealer because he had just got a 2005 GT. My parents said they were going to give me that GT if they had payed it off so naturally I have some resentment towards them.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Lol. I got a job and got a car at 17. My dad signed for me. He found it for me even. But wouldn't buy it. I had to buy my own car. It was a 12 year old 1974 Toyota Corolla SR5. Cost me $850. But I had a job and paid it off by the month. I had to buy my own insurance too. I think it was $250 every 3 months. Back then I thought that was great...looking back I guess it was. I have better full coverage now for cheaper hehe...great driving record I suppose. Man thinking about those days just makes me smile. You'll look back one day and smile too. Probably around 32 years old or so
Old 12-01-2012, 12:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Don't worry about what you've come from. At 21 you have a LOT in front of you.
I know it seems like a long ways out, but if you play it smart now - you can have anything you want in a few years.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Protokiller

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Don't worry about what you've come from. At 21 you have a LOT in front of you.
I know it seems like a long ways out, but if you play it smart now - you can have anything you want in a few years.
I've heard that a lot but I guess I just don't see it yet.

I have been going to a community college for two years for Psychology collecting grant money to help me on my way. I've heard the city I go to school in is the 5th worse city in the country to find a job and in my experience that's pretty accurate hah.

With this car there will be enough hours in the day for me to do school and work where before I was having to ride a bus 12 miles each way to school which took an hour each way and prevented me from being able to do both, I'm so excited to try and finally be on my own and get out of my parents house which is full of verbal abuse and finical crisis, don't get my wrong it has its good times, but it's not a healthy environment to be in all the time, besides it's time for me to leave anyway.

I can't believe I typed all of this on a car forum but I guess I just felt like sharing, that and I have some time to kill before my next college class.

Quick Reply: How much life is left in her?