V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Loud POP

Old 10-23-2013, 11:40 AM
stececcato

Default Loud POP

So today i removed the silencer off the intake on the v6 and once i put everything together i gave it throttle (around 2.5-3k?) and i heard a LOUD pop coming from the engine and out the intake. also i walked to the back to see the exhaust and it had made a big puddle of water or maybe coolant.. but since i use water instead of coolant i wouldnt know where it comes from.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Probably just a backfire. exhaust have moisture in them.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:17 PM
stececcato

thats the same thing my mechanic said but even when the car is warmed up?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Default Similar question / situation?...

Hi,

I started a thread yesterday in the V6 tech forum and am having a similar issue. Now I just had my Intake Manifold Gaskets replaced like 2 weeks ago approx as well just so you know. Please see below and tell me if this is ANYTHING like what you are experiencing...

So like the title of the thread says, SOMETIMES after I start my car (usually after the car has been warmed up and driven previously in the day) I will be sitting there say putting on my seatbelt or whatever and all of a sudden I hear sort of a loud and deep sounding POP that seems to come from the passenger side of the engine bay. Is this a "miss"?

I have no CEL on and it has me a bit boggled. Like I said, it only happens sometimes so its hard to really get a gauge as to where it is coming from or what it could be,

Does anyone have any idea?

Sound similar?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
stececcato

Well i think we did hear the same "pop" but mine just did it once this morning 5min after i removed the silencer and i was reving it. i will keep a look out once i start driving it again. i took it to a local shop and we reved the engine but it didnt want to do it again just that once.
I also think my car has a misfire but i dont know for certain. the car is at a stop and the engine and the whole car thumps but lighly and it does it sometimes (sometimes worse than before) even when the car is warmed up and on the road.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 PM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stececcato
Well i think we did hear the same "pop" but mine just did it once this morning 5min after i removed the silencer and i was reving it. i will keep a look out once i start driving it again. i took it to a local shop and we reved the engine but it didnt want to do it again just that once.
I also think my car has a misfire but i dont know for certain. the car is at a stop and the engine and the whole car thumps but lighly and it does it sometimes (sometimes worse than before) even when the car is warmed up and on the road.
Hmmm... I wonder if we are experiencing the same situation? My car does not "thump" when at idle but I do experience a light jumping / twitch at times when Im at idle and it actually seems to be worse when the car is warm too...

Stupid question perhaps but what exactly is this "silencer" you speak of that you removed and then put back on?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM
stececcato

on the stock intake, there is the rubber tubing from the throttle body, then the big plastic ball that holds the air filter and after that comes the silencer that is a rubber that extends into the passenger fender where the intake gets its air from.
And the twitch you mentioned sounds a lot like mine, its just another way to explain it. but the twitch goes away from time to time but does do it at least once for a period of time every single day
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

on the stock intake, there is the rubber tubing from the throttle body, then the big plastic ball that holds the air filter and after that comes the silencer that is a rubber that extends into the passenger fender where the intake gets its air from.
And the twitch you mentioned sounds a lot like mine, its just another way to explain it. but the twitch goes away from time to time but does do it at least once for a period of time every single day
Yup... Sure sounds like we have the same symptoms. Thats exactly what mine does too at least once per day.

See the link below for some further info I was given in my thread as well based on this being caused possibly by a backfire in the throttle body...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...ml#post8299612

What do you think?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
stececcato

Yeah i wondered if i had a misfire for some time now but my approach towards this was to take apart the intake and clean it since i also will be replacing the imrc bushings. And at the same time i will be changing sparkplugs since ive already bought them. If that doesnt do it ill replace sparkplugs wires. hopefuly that does it if not im lost.
Also if we did get backfires.. Are backfires a bad thing? or is it something we should not worry about. the car has not done it again since yesterday and i drive it pretty hard to test it.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i wondered if i had a misfire for some time now but my approach towards this was to take apart the intake and clean it since i also will be replacing the imrc bushings. And at the same time i will be changing sparkplugs since ive already bought them. If that doesnt do it ill replace sparkplugs wires. hopefuly that does it if not im lost.
Also if we did get backfires.. Are backfires a bad thing? or is it something we should not worry about. the car has not done it again since yesterday and i drive it pretty hard to test it.
I really wish I knew if this was a "bad" thing or not but I am not the most mechanically inclined individual unfortunately and Id like to know this too. Perhaps if you dont mind, you can ask this same question in my thread and maybe it will get a reply there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud POP