Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs > V6 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
stececcato
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang V6 Base
Location: Irving,Texas
Posts: 17
Default Loud POP

So today i removed the silencer off the intake on the v6 and once i put everything together i gave it throttle (around 2.5-3k?) and i heard a LOUD pop coming from the engine and out the intake. also i walked to the back to see the exhaust and it had made a big puddle of water or maybe coolant.. but since i use water instead of coolant i wouldnt know where it comes from.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
stececcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Daehawk
4th Gear Member
 
Daehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang V6
Location: TN
Posts: 1,325
Default

Probably just a backfire. exhaust have moisture in them.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------

2001 Satin Silver Mustang V6
BBK Power Plus 70mm throttle body
Mac cold air intake
MAC long tube headers
MAC off-road H-pipe
MAC true dual exhaust
American Racing 5 spoke
Nexen N3000 255/40ZR17 tires
MAC white face gauges
Cobra front end

My exhaust videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSq9Tr5N_W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GMoohiXdaQ


Daehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
stececcato
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang V6 Base
Location: Irving,Texas
Posts: 17
Default

thats the same thing my mechanic said but even when the car is warmed up?
stececcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2000, Ford Mustang - 3.8L V6 - 5 Speed Manual
Location: Alberta
Posts: 163
Default Similar question / situation?...

Hi,

I started a thread yesterday in the V6 tech forum and am having a similar issue. Now I just had my Intake Manifold Gaskets replaced like 2 weeks ago approx as well just so you know. Please see below and tell me if this is ANYTHING like what you are experiencing...


So like the title of the thread says, SOMETIMES after I start my car (usually after the car has been warmed up and driven previously in the day) I will be sitting there say putting on my seatbelt or whatever and all of a sudden I hear sort of a loud and deep sounding POP that seems to come from the passenger side of the engine bay. Is this a "miss"?

I have no CEL on and it has me a bit boggled. Like I said, it only happens sometimes so its hard to really get a gauge as to where it is coming from or what it could be,

Does anyone have any idea?


Sound similar?
yiannisthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
stececcato
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang V6 Base
Location: Irving,Texas
Posts: 17
Default

Well i think we did hear the same "pop" but mine just did it once this morning 5min after i removed the silencer and i was reving it. i will keep a look out once i start driving it again. i took it to a local shop and we reved the engine but it didnt want to do it again just that once.
I also think my car has a misfire but i dont know for certain. the car is at a stop and the engine and the whole car thumps but lighly and it does it sometimes (sometimes worse than before) even when the car is warmed up and on the road.
stececcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2000, Ford Mustang - 3.8L V6 - 5 Speed Manual
Location: Alberta
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stececcato View Post
Well i think we did hear the same "pop" but mine just did it once this morning 5min after i removed the silencer and i was reving it. i will keep a look out once i start driving it again. i took it to a local shop and we reved the engine but it didnt want to do it again just that once.
I also think my car has a misfire but i dont know for certain. the car is at a stop and the engine and the whole car thumps but lighly and it does it sometimes (sometimes worse than before) even when the car is warmed up and on the road.
Hmmm... I wonder if we are experiencing the same situation? My car does not "thump" when at idle but I do experience a light jumping / twitch at times when Im at idle and it actually seems to be worse when the car is warm too...

Stupid question perhaps but what exactly is this "silencer" you speak of that you removed and then put back on?
yiannisthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
stececcato
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang V6 Base
Location: Irving,Texas
Posts: 17
Default

on the stock intake, there is the rubber tubing from the throttle body, then the big plastic ball that holds the air filter and after that comes the silencer that is a rubber that extends into the passenger fender where the intake gets its air from.
And the twitch you mentioned sounds a lot like mine, its just another way to explain it. but the twitch goes away from time to time but does do it at least once for a period of time every single day
stececcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2000, Ford Mustang - 3.8L V6 - 5 Speed Manual
Location: Alberta
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stececcato View Post
on the stock intake, there is the rubber tubing from the throttle body, then the big plastic ball that holds the air filter and after that comes the silencer that is a rubber that extends into the passenger fender where the intake gets its air from.
And the twitch you mentioned sounds a lot like mine, its just another way to explain it. but the twitch goes away from time to time but does do it at least once for a period of time every single day
Yup... Sure sounds like we have the same symptoms. Thats exactly what mine does too at least once per day.

See the link below for some further info I was given in my thread as well based on this being caused possibly by a backfire in the throttle body...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-19...ml#post8299612

What do you think?
yiannisthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
stececcato
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2002 Mustang V6 Base
Location: Irving,Texas
Posts: 17
Default

Yeah i wondered if i had a misfire for some time now but my approach towards this was to take apart the intake and clean it since i also will be replacing the imrc bushings. And at the same time i will be changing sparkplugs since ive already bought them. If that doesnt do it ill replace sparkplugs wires. hopefuly that does it if not im lost.
Also if we did get backfires.. Are backfires a bad thing? or is it something we should not worry about. the car has not done it again since yesterday and i drive it pretty hard to test it.
stececcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
yiannisthegreek
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2000, Ford Mustang - 3.8L V6 - 5 Speed Manual
Location: Alberta
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stececcato View Post
Yeah i wondered if i had a misfire for some time now but my approach towards this was to take apart the intake and clean it since i also will be replacing the imrc bushings. And at the same time i will be changing sparkplugs since ive already bought them. If that doesnt do it ill replace sparkplugs wires. hopefuly that does it if not im lost.
Also if we did get backfires.. Are backfires a bad thing? or is it something we should not worry about. the car has not done it again since yesterday and i drive it pretty hard to test it.
I really wish I knew if this was a "bad" thing or not but I am not the most mechanically inclined individual unfortunately and Id like to know this too. Perhaps if you dont mind, you can ask this same question in my thread and maybe it will get a reply there?
yiannisthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup