V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

what mods are currently on your car?

Old 12-18-2014, 04:03 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

Default what mods are currently on your car?

I was just trying to remember all I the things ive done over the years to my car, and I thought itd be fun to know what you guys have currently on your car.

ive had my car for 8 years now, 210,000 miles.
As it sits, it has a bbk cold air intake, bbk ceramic headers, flowmaster 10 dual exhaust with custom h pipe.
black 17x9 bullitts
smoked headlights with 10k hids
foglights
mach 1 chin
blacked out stock grill
gt style hood with scoop
painted calipers
painted spoiler, lower valence, center decklid and mustang lettering
black bullitt fuel door
blacked out 3rd brake and side reflectors
led bulbs throughout
shock tower, strut tower and k member braces, rear swaybar

I was constantly buying new parts, went through a few sets off used wheels of craigslist, a cobra r hood and and 99 cobra hood but after I totaled the car last year I just rebuilt the front end and haven't done anything to the car since then
Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Relatively small list,

Cobra R front bumper
Window Tint
Snorkle removal
Tinted tails
Blacked out decklid
Double din pioneer DVD player
10 inch sub
Tubular rear control arms
Oil catch can
Deleted 2 of 4 cats
Full custom exhaust from first cats back, h pipe, resonators, black chrome tips.
Replaced brown top with black top (convertible)
Msd coil pack
Plasti dipped grill and running pony, as well as the 40th Ann badges on fenders

I'm sure I'm missing something.

And funny you mention 99 cobra hood, technically I have the stock 03-04 v6 hood, but its exactly the same as the 99-01 cobra hood.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:32 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

yea i know haha but it came off a cobra n for peope who dont know it matters lol
Old 12-18-2014, 11:08 PM
TfcCDR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BabyGT
I'm sure I'm missing something.
Fuzzy dice?

Moon "hang-ten" gas pedal?

Or a bumper sticker that says "My other car is the UPS truck that brings me all the stuff I put on THIS car" . . ?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:53 AM
Tele-Caster

Default Prepping for Autocross

I'm prepping my car for SCCA Solo...

Wheels and Tires: OEM 15 x 7 alloy shod with 215 / 60 -15 Pirelli P6000's or 235 / 60 - 15 Pirelli P600's.

I have two different wheel and tire sets, but I'm using the OEM wheels because I haven't yet found any aftermarket wheels that are as light, and with the V6 having a torque disadvantage, I don't want to make matters worse with excess rotational mass.

Wheel Spacers: 1/2" on all four wheels

Brakes and Pads: Stock except for Hawk pads.

Anything bigger than stock rotors will require heavier wheels.

Rear Axle: OEM 7.5" with stock 3.27:1 final drive and Auburn Gear limited slip.

Per class rules, I have to run the stock axle and and gear ratio but I can add mechanical limited slip, so I have.

Chassis Stiffening: Maximum Motorsport subframe connectors, custom 2-point strut tower brace, custom 4 point roll bar.

I can't run a triangulated strut brace in the class I've prepped for. SCCA encourages the use of roll bars, so I added one.

Suspension: Custom stock rate coils, 3/4" shorter in front, 1/2" shorter in rear; Tokico shocks and struts; Maximum Motorsports camber plates; stock front anti-sway bar and GT take-off rear.

I can run a Panhard bar and probably will.

Transmission: Auto overhauled by performance trans shop / B&M ratchet shifter

I've previously campaigned manual Mustangs, a manual Porsche, and automatic GM F-bodies. I did okay with the slush-box in the F-bodies back in the day, and the Mustang has a slightly better power to weight ratio than those cars had, so I'm hopeful that my times won't be too embarrassing.

Engine: OEM (including all replacement "tune-up" parts, like coil, plugs, wires, filters -all Motorcraft) except for ECM tuning.

Exhaust: New OEM style catalyst Y pipe, modified by a performance exhaust shop with a fabbed-in collector that more smoothly merges the pair of 2.5" pipes after the catalysts in to a short section of 2.75". That same thing was done on the Dynomax V6-dedicated cat-back system I'm running. It's quiet, there is no drone, no raspiness, and the exhaust doesn't turn to rice at high rpm.

Per class rules, I can do anything I want with the exhaust after the catalysts and could have run divorced duals or some other more common set-up. I wanted to retain the Y pipe design because I think it's there for valid performance and acoustical reasons.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM
SteelerNation82
1st Gear Member

Tele-Caster, would be interesting to see how she performs.

I would agree referencing your comments about the wheels and the weight. I think the 15x7 99-00 style are about 16lbs or so. I think stock 17x8 bullitts or similar OEM wheels are a good 22-24lbs.

Shockingly it seems those Pirelli's are the best thing around in those sizes, I ran a search the other day for 225/60 series in 15" and it's very limited. These were OEM on Fox 5.0 cars and seem to fit 15x7 wheels the best.

Out of curiousity, how do the 235's look mounted on your stock wheels? I may do some suspension upgrades to my '00 while keeping the stock wheels, they could certainly use some more track/rubber though as they sit now (205/65's)
Old 12-24-2014, 06:08 AM
Tele-Caster

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
Tele-Caster, would be interesting to see how she performs.
Me too, but the car handles so well that I think any issues I have are going to be driver-related, rather than an equipment problem. I think my chances of posting competitive times aren't going to be limited by the car as much as by the fact that I haven't done any serious cone-dodging since I splattered my Porsche 924S in to a wall while running it around a road-racing course 8 years ago.

I would agree referencing your comments about the wheels and the weight. I think the 15x7 99-00 style are about 16lbs or so.
Mine weighed two ounces shy of 16 lbs, stripped of valve stem, balance weights, and center cap.

I think stock 17x8 bullitts or similar OEM wheels are a good 22-24lbs.
I think you're right about that, too. I also think that aftermarket clones of Bullits, etc, are heavier than OEM in general and in some cases, significantly so.

Shockingly it seems those Pirelli's are the best thing around in those sizes, I ran a search the other day for 225/60 series in 15" and it's very limited. These were OEM on Fox 5.0 cars and seem to fit 15x7 wheels the best.
Once I decided to keep the 15 X 7's, choice of tire was a no-brainer to me, and I just got what I had used on my Porsche 924S. They're sticky suckers for being as old-school as they are.

Out of curiousity, how do the 235's look mounted on your stock wheels? I may do some suspension upgrades to my '00 while keeping the stock wheels, they could certainly use some more track/rubber though as they sit now (205/65's)
I think they look great. Having wheel spacers helps, too. If "Santa" brings me the new digital camera I asked for, I might have some pics of it on here somewhere in a few days.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:25 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

The starfish rims are just as lights and with them being 17" you have the option of increasing your caliper size later on.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:38 AM
Tele-Caster

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The starfish rims are just as lights and with them being 17" you have the option of increasing your caliper size later on.
I appreciate the tip, but are you absolutely, positively certain that they're really "just as light" as OEM V6 SN-95 / New Edge 15 x 7 alloys?

I've gone to a lot of time and effort actually weighing Mustang wheels and I have yet to find ANY OEM Mustang wheel as light as the 15 X 7 alloys on 94-00 V6's. All of them I've weighed have been five to ten pounds heavier or more per wheel, and the kind of wheels popular on the Mustang aftermarket are generally even heavier yet.

On a street car, 10 extra pounds or more of rotating mass on the drive axle might not matter and it might not matter to me, but the main reason I bought this car in first place was to have something to campaign in a return to autocross.

So I'm probably a whole lot more **** about things like rotating mass and un-sprung weight than other people might be.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:39 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

I have a set that I will weigh and get back to you on the actual weight of one of them. I do know that they are the lightest 17" wheel for our cars though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what mods are currently on your car?