V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Will not go into reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:00 PM
R.A.M.

Default Will not go into reverse.

My 2004 v6 mustang 5 speed standard will not shift into reverse. I tried most of the usual stuff, but I mean it will not go into reverse. If anyone can help I appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

This could be a ton of things, goes into all forward gears fine? Ever have any grinding issues? Are you sitting on a hill? Has the clutch ever been replaced?
Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

try putting into 1st gear first then reverse. T5's are notorious for this. Something to do with the reverse syncros not aligning properly when shifting from any gear other than first to reverse.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:03 PM
R.A.M.

Default 2004 mustang will not go into reverse.

Hi: BabyGT: Thank you for your reply. I need help!
OK: All other gears shift fine no problems at all. no grinding.
Not on a hill, it would not matter. It was working just fine even going into reverse, then it stopped going into reverse. I don't mean sometimes it will go into reverse and sometimes it will. I mean it will not go into reverse ever.
I tried all the suggestion: double clutch, go to first fifth etc. It will not go into reverse. The clutch is the original, has 70,000 miles on it, does not slip.
Whatever happened: It was working fine one day the next it would not work. I am hoping someone out there has had the same problem?
PLESAE HELP!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

if the car is shut off will it go into reverse?
Old 10-08-2014, 08:34 AM
R.A.M.

Hi PNYXPRESS: No it will not go into reverse with the engine turned off.
I even tried parking on a slant: Started the car holding the break put it in first then tried to go into reverse holding pressure on the shift while releasing the break so it would slowly roll backwards hoping this would align the gears if that was the problem; did not work. It is like the shift moves to the point where I shove it into reverse and it stops.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Factory shifter? Nothing aftermarket involving the trans? This might be kinda dumb but pop up the trim around the shifter and make sure something stupid like a pen or anything dumb isn't lodged under there physically stopping you from being able to put it in reverse. Apart from a mis adjusted aftermarket shifter, or something jamming it up, sounds like your trans has crapped out on reverse on you. If you are not sure whether its aftermarket or not take a pic for us and we can tell you.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:46 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Do like BabyGT says and if nothing looks broke or blocking the shifter. I would drain the fluid and look for pieces.

But my guess would be an issue with in the shifter area not a trans issue, cause it should go into gear broke or not when the engine isn't running.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:18 PM
R.A.M.

Thanks Guys: I will pull the cover and check for something blocking the shifter.
Everything is factory on the car. No after market shifter. I will post what I find.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 AM
R.A.M.

I took the cover off: Nothing blocking the shifter. Did not drain the oil yet.

Quick Reply: Will not go into reverse.