V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Cooling Fan Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:36 PM
jstrothe

Default Cooling Fan Problems

Alright,
so my fan will not kick on at all. I have replaced the CCRM (where the radiator fan relay is located), replaced the 30a fuse, the temper sending unit. All of this and the fan still does not kick on when its supposed to.

I have made sure the fan works when connected to a battery.

I also tried the manual switch route. I wired (10gauge wire) a positive wire from the fan to the battery with an inlet fuse(30a) then I wired the negative wire from the fan to the switch. grounded the switch and everything.

The problem is when I turn on the switch the fuse blows every time, even the 30a. A friend of mine suggested that the fan itself was drawing too much power and thus blowing the fuse.

What are my options here? How can I test to see if its just a fan problem or if there is some kind of electrical problem hidden away. Im willng to just go the manual route, but why does my fuse keep blowing? HELP PLEASE!!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

you have a short somewhere, thus the blown fuse
Old 07-03-2015, 06:26 PM
jstrothe

where could i possibly have a short at?
i took the fan motor out and did the manual switch route and it turned on just fine, but when i put the fan shroud back onto the motor and then turned the fan back on the fuse blew.
could a short of another system be the problem?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

did u draw test the fan? if not the fan or the wiring are drawing more than the fuse is rated for, try unplugging the fan and see if the fuse blows still, if not, then the fan is the cause, if it still blows then you have a short. where is it u ask? it could be anywhere from the fuse to the fan connector.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM
Sawfish

Originally Posted by jstrothe
where could i possibly have a short at?
i took the fan motor out and did the manual switch route and it turned on just fine, but when i put the fan shroud back onto the motor and then turned the fan back on the fuse blew.
could a short of another system be the problem?
You probably have a wire that has worn, or burned through. Be sure that something had not fallen out of its harness into an exhaust manifold.