V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Baton Rouge Flood Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
phydela93

Default Baton Rouge Flood Project

Hey guys I'm working a 1999 Ford mustang, it recently got flooded in Louisiana. (No Salt water) Creeks and Bayou water that's about it. Needless to say I had Ford take a look at it, and they said no damage from flood, but it did need some work. From being a pretty good mechanic myself I opted to do the work myself. I got all the water out of the motor, transmission, rear end, brakes and so on and on. I'm one step from firing it up, but my last piece was trying to figure out if it got a half of foot of water inside the car did it fry the ecm. Now to mention the car had no battery in it what so ever, and the water was only inside the car a day or so before I opened it up and drained the water out, and let everything dry out for a few days. With that being said is the ecm bad or good? What is the symptoms of a bad ecm?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Actually chances are the ECM is OK, they are sealed up pretty good and it has had plenty of time to dry out. The only way to know if the ECM is good without taking it to a diagnostic dealer, is to fire it up. If it runs, good, if not, bad. There are plenty of other wiring issues with a flooded car that could rear their ugly head other than the ECM. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 PM
phydela93

Thanks I was going to fry it up as soon as I got a reply, I wasn't sure about I replace the cars wiring harness just not the ecm yet. I was wondering what to do about it. I knew I would have to put it in the shop to have the keys reprogrammed to the new ecm. So I was going to try first, so thanks I'll appreciate it. I'll try it out when I get home from work this afternoon.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Thanks I was going to fry it up as soon as I got a reply
What a bad typo that was ...hope it does better than that
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 PM
phydela93

Haha my bad stupid auto correct, no I tried, it just floods out come to find out we believe the injectors are stuck open, I pulled the intake manifold off but haven't pulled the fuel rail off yet. I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I had a 2004 GTO that got swamped in a puddle deeper than I realized. I blew the motor due to water ingestion. The real problem surfaced a couple of years later. I couldn't keep the battery charged. Also the battery terminals would corrode after only a week even with coatings and grease. I finally traced it to the main wiring harness. It had gotten wet and corrosion was creeping up the wires from below the car. Beware of wiring gremlins in the future.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 AM
phydela93

Alright I appreciate it I'll keep that in mind, I pulled the intake manifold and fuel rail off tonight. Five out of the six injectors were stuck open when I pulled the fuel rail off, so my mechanic friend is cleaning the injector and replacing the o-rings for me. I'll post when I have results from that
Old 03-01-2017, 07:03 PM
phydela93

Injectors cleaned, opening and closing fine. I put the fuel rail back on, along with intake manifold and boom massive gas fire for a moment. Fouled my plugs going to try again tomorrow. If no go from there ecm will be replaced