Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!

The good thing about a smaller turbo is it will spool up faster.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

yeah true, but i have too much exhaust restriction, ill be losing out.. to an extent, everything has to be perfect, im currently calculating the physics to determine the appropriate size turbo.. ill be checking out the one powerhouse uses, and look for hte next best thing, for the sake of not "copying his design" i want my own, and patent it,so i can sell

man im happy how quickly i got the show on the road
Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I think that would be to trademark it, not patent it.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for all the compliments. I'm definitely glad I did it myself. I would say all-in-all, it took me about 10 hours to do. It could've gone quicker, but I had some problems fitting the final piece of tubing to the discharge of the blower. That was before I knew the spool could be loosened up and rotated.... :P

@ricklmesa

As far as cost goes, you'll get a different answer for everyone you talk to. I'm sure there are people here who make twice what I do, but will still put on it on a credit card. I used money in savings for it, but quickly replaced it 100% and then-some with the money I got back from my tax return.

I agree with your mentality on doing the S/C first. Looking back, the only thing I think should be done first is the exhaust. Now, I have a K&N intake system that cost me $200+ laying around. Hopefully, I can sell it on Ebay or something.

I see so many people dropping money here and there on a collection of parts that only add a few HP here and there. There are plenty of people I know that have already spent more than the S/C and have less to show for it. Sorry if that offends anyone.... it's just my opinion, so don't take it the wrong way.

Right now, I'm considering headers, LCAs, a 50-shot of nitrous for the track, and possibly the new throttle body (if it turns out to be a fruitful upgrade).

Long-term, I'll be looking at the 4.3 overbore sometime after the warranty is out. I would like to get this thing up to 500 RWHP.

@ALL

Now that I've had a chance to drive it a bit more, the grin has widened. I love the sound and the power, but also that I'm not always in the boost. It'll be hard, but I'm gonna try burning a whole tank of gas without going into the boost (much), just to see how much MPG I lost.

I did a roll-on from about 30 MPH in 2nd gear... damn. It was better than I thought it would be. I can't wait to get the 9 psi pulley in and fine-tune the program.

The way I am with doing stuff myself, I see myself learning the programming aspect really quick. It turns out there is only one dyno in the Colorado Springs area. I'm gonna have to see how much they'll charge.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Bravo Bravo, I applaud you doing the the install yourself. I agree with you in that it is more gratifing and money saving. I plan on doing the same thing. I can understand your opinionin that spending money here and their and only making little power. I applaud your patience in saving up the 4k+ without all those little moddidng temptations. Me however, i can resist most mods but saving up for a power adder will be my third mod.
1)MRT exhaust(only about $200)
2)18x8.5, 18x10 or 20x8.5 wheels most likely billet wheels.
3)Powerhouse turbo or X-charger twin screw

How does that sound?
Old 03-04-2006, 01:16 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Big thumbs up to you Flap nice work!!!

Old 03-04-2006, 01:26 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

Bravo Bravo, I applaud you doing the the install yourself. I agree with you in that it is more gratifing and money saving. I plan on doing the same thing. I can understand your opinionin that spending money here and their and only making little power. I applaud your patience in saving up the 4k+ without all those little moddidng temptations. Me however, i can resist most mods but saving up for a power adder will be my third mod.
1)MRT exhaust(only about $200)
2)18x8.5, 18x10 or 20x8.5 wheels most likely billet wheels.
3)Powerhouse turbo or X-charger twin screw

How does that sound?
I'm sure a few of you read a post I made regarding the X-Charger. Sure, it looks cool, and having boost come right on is nice, but let's face it. It's too hard on the engine. Even with an intercooler, I wouldn't run 9 psi with that setup because of the constant stress on the internals. Higher RPMs minimize stress, so more psi with a turbo or centrifugal S/C is more acceptable.

If money was not an issue with me, I would've hands down went with Mikes turbo. But since I got such a smoking deal on the ProCharger, I couldn't pass it up.

As far as exhaust goes, there are so many options. I paid Meineke to run true duals from the cats back, eliminating the Y-pipe, with FM40s and an H-pipe for $400. I couldn't be happier. I've done the bolt-on systems before and haven't been impressed.

Wheels... I'm not big on wheels, so I would ask the others what they think. I have aftermarket rims on my truck, but that was at my wife's request.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:33 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

any thoughts on where the numbers will be from the dyno results? have you done anything to the rear-end
Old 03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

bscottie:

No idea, really. It's hard to say without putting it on the dyno. I would guess right now, between 280 and 300 RWHP. I'm sure after I get the 9 psi pulley and the tune worked out, I'll be at 320-340.

I installed the Detroit TrueTrac last week. Check out my install guide with pictures here: http://american-speed.com/collective...hread.php?t=82
Old 03-04-2006, 01:51 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

anybody remember "wheelie bars" after readin the threads about screaming and rygens cars its hard to believe you can push these cars so far, I wonder if anybody has pulled the front wheels up yet? interested to see what numbers are if you hit the dyno, cudos man and thumbs up on the self install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!