Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:39 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!

Very impressive that you got it all done in about 10 hours!! That's pretty quick!

ORIGINAL: flapjack

I'm sure a few of you read a post I made regarding the X-Charger. Sure, it looks cool, and having boost come right on is nice, but let's face it. It's too hard on the engine. Even with an intercooler, I wouldn't run 9 psi with that setup because of the constant stress on the internals.
The X-charger is only running 6 pounds of boost. They keep the boost low specifically to lower the stress on the internals and to allow the use of the stock injectors. It's also been used for years on Explorers and Rangers and I have not found any complaints about it anywhere (I did a lot of searching on the 'net because I'm interested in it for my car). I'm looking for power in the low-to-mid range in street driving, so either the X-Charger or Mike's turbo seems to be the way to go for me. Unfortunately neither is available yet [&:]
Old 03-05-2006, 01:53 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Well, if it doesn't have an intercooler, doesn't come with new injectors, and only runs at 6 psi, why the hell buy it for that price?

Am I the only one thinking they're out of their crazy tree??
Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Because it's the only roots type blower for the V6. At least for now. Even in your own descriptions you state the Procharger doesn't make solid power until 4k, the roots type starts making boost just off idle and makes peak boost at just over 2k. That's good, solid low to mid range power. The Procharger and Vortech don't need intercoolers at 6 psi either, so it's not a question of why it doesn't have an intercooler, it doesn't need one at those boost levels. For drag strip performance the centrifugal blowers are a better option because you don't want max power off idle, it makes the launch more difficult. So the "late" power curve is actually an advantage. But for street driving, I doubt the centrifugals can compete with a roots type for "fun factor", and that's what I'm after.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:15 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Well, fun until you fill up.

I like that the boost is there when I need it, but it's not always there.

Everyone has your opinion, and I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't curious to see what it'll do! I just kinda balked a bit when I saw the price....
Old 03-09-2006, 12:37 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Ok, I have a few updates. One, RPM Outlet should be drop-shipping the 9 psi pulley tomorrow from ProCharger. I'm not sure what took so long... only that the problem escalated all the way to the sales manager.

Now me, being the impatient one, got on the phone with ProCharger. After picking the tech's brain for about 30 minutes, I finally decided to order the 11 psi pulley! It was only $10 more to next-day air it, so I said what the hell.

Now, keep in mind... this is a true 11 psi pulley, w/o any magical aftercooler psi gain (sorry MSP.... I had to!). So the results should be outstanding.

Before I just slap it on, I have to do a few things. First, I need to figure out EXACTLY how to use this damn software. I'll actually be reading the manual this time... something I haven't done in a while. Second, I need to have my boost gauge installed. I won't be messing with the rev limiter at all, so I just won't be running at WOT until I'm sure it's safe. It may turn out that I can only run the 11 psi pulley at this altitude on pump gas, and I'll have to run the 9 at sea level. We'll see....

After talking with the guys at ProCharger a bit... I found out it is tough on ANY centrifugal S/C when the rev limiter kicks in. He advised against lowering the rev limiter, and just taking it easy on the engine until I can get some data logging done.

As far as the dyno place in the Springs goes... they never called me back. It looks like I'll have to take it to Denver to get some numbers. You guys will have to be easy on me. I can't remember the exact percentage... but you lose a lot of power at this altitude. I think most dynos correct for it by measuring air and such, but my ET on the 1/4 mile will definitely suffer. To compensate for that, I'll have to wait for my first TDY (temporary duty, for you non-military folks) back at sea level to get a good run down. I'll have to use the track here to work on my 60ft and response times.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

i heard procharger is amazing and very durable.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:19 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I can testify to the amazing part!

I've heard good things about reliability, too. There was a year or so where they had some leakage problems. From what I've heard, they even fixed the blowers affected by that problem whether they were in warranty or not.

Just to be sure, I'm gonna get the 3-year warranty.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

11 psi, dang man you're already turning into a boost junkie That should be a hot setup!!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:24 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

my 86 mustang svo had a stock boost of 15 psi w/ the premium switch on and 9 psi w/ the switch set to unleaded... i LOOOOVE BOOST!!! LOL

http://www.svoca.com/mainframe.html
Old 03-09-2006, 02:27 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

11 psi, dang man you're already turning into a boost junkie That should be a hot setup!!
Hahah! That about sums it up! The boost is amazing... I can't believe I'm only at 7 psi right now, not to mention, I'm hardly ever really at 7.

I have the feeling even with all my tweaking and such, that the 11 psi pulley will be more of a toy than a daily application. Probably something I use at the track only.

Either way, it'll hold me off until the 9 psi one comes in.

Quick Reply: Finished Installing my Stage II ProCharger!