Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

"VW GTI In the House"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: "VW GTI In the House"

Exactly, because if RWD was cheaper to produce, then every manufacturer would be building more of them. Not just a few sporty cars and light 2WD trucks.

Honestly, a RWD SRT-4 would be pretty bitchin'.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

the reason manufacterers switched to FWD is because .. quoted from my tech teacher "they are built for economy.. the loss in power over the drivetrain is considerably less in a FWD compared to a RWD. therefore it takes more effort for a RWD car and thus burns more fuel"

also 30% of the worlds population know how to handle a RWD vehicle in an emergency situation
Old 04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
05kecarr

hey guys i just wanna say i work at the biggest auto dealer on oahu, hawaii and we have VW, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai cars..in any case let's just say that the DAY we get these newer cars in we're pretty much already out on the road once they get checked over by the mechanics and what not..well, we keep in close touch with our customers and a ton of employees by our own cars as well so we get tons of feedback..honestly, the concept SI is better than the actual production version but the cars are still kinda fast..mainly because they're so light..those SIs can run high 15s with good drivers..the GTIs are even better than that..it may be a heavier car than the GTI but even according to Car&Driver magazine, the ratings on the GTI are much better than the SI (the 2 were compared side by side on EVERYTHING)..and believe me, i work out of VW, and we CONSTANTLY hand people that little C&D excerpt in order to more GTIs than SIs lol..in any case, dont count either cars out on the road..on the track yeah, we'll take em most of the time (stock vs stock) but once we start doing our mods, they really can't keep up..i think its also due to the fact that performance parts are still in the making for those cars because they just came out several months ago..but give it a year or so, they'll be running some great times at the tracks..then again, our ONLY track here on oahu just got closed because the lease ran out and there's only like ONE guy in the governmental system that wants to keep it open (he drives an 02 GT hahahaha) so yeah..no track for me for awhileanyways, that's my .02
Old 04-25-2006, 01:31 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

mph mag got a 14.8 with the new si first of all....and second of all, you know i meant same basic engine...what did they add to the new si, harmonic balancers or something and thats the only difference from the rsx-s's engine? something like that...
Old 04-25-2006, 01:43 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

i strongly disagree with saying a bov is not a good mod. First of all it protects your turbo from reverse surging that can ruin your turbo. This comes from letting off the throttle. When you let off the throttle, the compressed air from the turbo has nowhere to go so it goes back into the turbo. This can either just slow down the compresser making you have to wait again to build to maximum boost, or it can jam the turbine blades and offset them ruining your turbo. Can you say costly replacement? although it does not increase hp, it will increase performance. Straightline performance will not change, but auto crossing and just track racing in general will increase because you will not have to build up the boost after every turn. That boost will still be built up a fair amount more than it would be without the bov. Although you wont feel a huge difference from a bov in a turbo car, it will be there and it will make your car at least a little more reliable.
Thanks for that piece of info. Is the powerhouse turbo gunna need a bov. I think imma want one, that offseting the turbine blades does not sound to good.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

mph mag got a 14.8 with the new si first of all....and second of all, you know i meant same basic engine...what did they add to the new si, harmonic balancers or something and thats the only difference from the rsx-s's engine? something like that...
The Si has a crank shaft balancer which the RSX-S, that actually robs a few hp, and an lsd. And mag racing sucks, because one mags times don't equal anothers usually. For example, you quoted a 14.8, Car and Driver got a 7.3 0-60 and a 15.5 quarter.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i cant take the fact that our stock 0-60 is 6.9

i does not feel like that at all for me...even before i got the intake and tune
Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

im not "magazine racing" im proving the point that the si is capable of much more than high 15's like somebody said earlier.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:13 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

im not "magazine racing" im proving the point that the si is capable of much more than high 15's like somebody said earlier.
I agree with you it is, but posting a mag time is hardly proving a point, no more then me posting C&D's 15.5 proves its slower then a V6. Truth is somewhere in the middle, and the Si and V6 have such close times any race between them could go either way.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:16 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i agree with you