Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5 speed hard to shift to reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 01:23 AM
p51jwd

Default 5 speed hard to shift to reverse?

First, thanks for all the imformation on this site. Moving forward, I find it extemely hard to shift to reverseat times. This doesnt happen consistently but happens enough to annoy the heck out of me. My car can be parked on a level surface and when I start the car and then move from 1st to reverse I find it damn near impossible. I have tried to shift from all the forward gears and sometimes still nothing. I have even had to shift into another gear and feather the throttle a bit before I can get the car to fall into reverse. My dad works as a porter at a Ford dealership and I had him try it today and he said WTF? He told me to take it in on Monday. Simply put, is this normal on the 2006 5 speed. Any help would be great.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 AM
FearMyMatrix
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 5 speed hard to shift to reverse?

i've had a few issues with going into reverse but cycling throught the gears always solves it. i figured it was because everything was new, now that i have almost 1,000 miles on it i havent had any issues with it. if shifting through the gears doesnt help then something may be wrong but i honestly dont know, im just a shade tree mechanic
Old 05-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Mine is kinda tough, it's gotten more tough since the hurst went in, but it's nothing that isn't manageable.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:30 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

pretty common, i noticed it does it more with the ebrake on, then with it off.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

I had a lot of problems with that the first couple of days that I had mine, but i've had it for a little over three weeks now and haven't had any problems since then.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 AM
p51jwd

Well it happened alot when my baby was new but it happened again today and I have 2000 miles on her. Just aggrevating. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

It never happens with my 5 speed, I just push the button in and move the shifter down to "R" and away I go Seriously, I'm not familiar with the Mustang manual tranny but a lot of cars have synchros that require you put it in a forward gear with the engine running before shifting it into reverse. It sounds like you are trying that and it's still giving you trouble, so it might be worth a trip to the dealer. Is your car brand new?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:59 AM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

mine did the same thing for a while, until i broke in the tranny. the clutch was the same way. but now that i have almost 14k miles on her, she shifts just fine. just give it time.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to the local Ford mechanic about this and he states that its a common thing on our Mustangs since we have a T5 trany. To get around it we have to shift to 3rd and right away shift to reverse. Something about synchronizing, I am not too clear on the internal :-)
I have same issue in the morning when backing out of my drivay but it seems to be getting easier at 1500miles.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:55 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

My Stang has 22000 miles on it and I still have a hard time getting into reverse at times. It's a little easier than when I first got it but I don't think it's a problem that'll every really go away completely. As stated by others shifting other gears before trying reverse does work.

Quick Reply: 5 speed hard to shift to reverse?