Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

manual trans question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default manual trans question

I have the manual trans and am wondering if there is an additive that would make the shifting smoother. I just installed the Hurst and it's great but it doesn't do anything about how hard our trannys go into gears. Is there something like Slick 50 for a trans (that reference shows how old I am!).
Old 06-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Pony Tail

Default RE: manual trans question

Bear in mind that the T5 Tremec tranny is acutually designed primarily for small to middlin' SUVs. Our 4.0 is actually a truck motor. I was on the Tremec site and the max listed torque for the T5 is 300 ftlbs. So, I'm guessin' that they used that spec. T5 in the Mustang. These trannys were never really designed to have a relatively short throw shifter on them, thus the high effort shifting. Switching to synthetic transmission oil, as opposed to just an additive, usually helps a bunch with sticky or higher effort shifting, especially so in cooler temps. Synth. also protects better at higher shear loads and higher temps.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:09 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Although it isn't any harder to get into gear with the short throw than the standard I'm just looking for some way it make it mesh smoother. The short throw is absolutly an improvement; I'm just greedy and more.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:30 AM
knucklehead11
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony Tail

Bear in mind that the T5 Tremec tranny is acutually designed primarily for small to middlin' SUVs. Our 4.0 is actually a truck motor. I was on the Tremec site and the max listed torque for the T5 is 300 ftlbs. So, I'm guessin' that they used that spec. T5 in the Mustang. These trannys were never really designed to have a relatively short throw shifter on them, thus the high effort shifting. Switching to synthetic transmission oil, as opposed to just an additive, usually helps a bunch with sticky or higher effort shifting, especially so in cooler temps. Synth. also protects better at higher shear loads and higher temps.
A friend of mine's parents used to have a Ford Explorer Sport with the very 4.0 we have.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:02 PM
cathane

Hey there,

Well I don't know about additives for the transmission for shifting, but I'll let you know about problems I've had with mine... I have an 05 manual trans v6, and in the fall when it started to get colder, around say 18-20k on my car, I started to get a whine/squeel when I was starting off in 1st... I left it assuming it was something to do with the weather turning colder, and it was only when in the spring when it started to get warmer, and the problem seem to be getting worse that I asked the dealer to look at the noise. At this point I had less than 25k on the car. What they found out was that the trans fluid was burnt, and that this caused the bearings in the trans to burn (or vice versa, they weren't sure which caused which). Needless to say, two weeks with my trans in parts on their shop floor later, they got the bearings in and replaced them. I don't know if it was a fluke case, faulty bearings or fluid, or just plain old bad luck, but the next time you have the car in for service, get the dealership to check the condition of your transmission fluid, NOT just the level, otherwise you could be end up like I did. Later

Cathane
Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Can anyone add to this topic, there has got to be some way to make the shifting smoother.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

300 lb/ft huh...... ive got to be about 150 over that at the flywheel and its still in 1 piece
Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Other then rubbin some KY on the shifter...I doubt it...
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

I have been reading some of the older posts and there were a good amount of people complaining about shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Has anyone been able to fix this or get your dealer to fix it?

When I first got my car (used with 18k miles) I went to the dealer and had them drive it. I said the problem was noticable under hard acceleration and I had touble shifting into 2 and 3. After driving it they said it was normal and that the car is not made for hard acceleration. I thought it was complete BS, but let it go for that day, I have a year of warranty left and will be back.

Anyone have solutions or similar experiences?
Old 02-24-2007, 09:34 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

mine still sticks a bit, but i found tht at or around 4k the shift is smooth. i usually shift at about 3k in the city and between 4 and 4.5k on the highway. i did break the shift fork about a month ago... but tht was cuz i was double clutching and missed the damn gear, and it got stuck in fourth when that happend. and needless to say it burned up my whole clutch assembly. u can always replace the tranny with a stronger built T-5, just swap out the bellhousing. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: manual trans question