Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

drop in air filter..worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: drop in air filter..worth it?

ORIGINAL: hataap
that would be great, thanks ken. and thanks to everyone else for their opinions and help--i really appreciate it. I'm off to pick up my ford racing exhaust right now though. bye
I have the K&N drop-in with a Ford Racing single exhaust, and I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: solo500

I have the perfect thing for you.

http://jdsperformance.com/index.asp?...tem&inmake=651

Go peddle you **** somewhere else
Old 07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

With the K&N drop in I saw a slight mileage increase in daily driving. Before i had to squeeze about 280 miles out of a tank. Now i can get 300 no problem, and 400 on the interstate. Performance wise, i really cant tell much difference. But in my opinion, it pays for its self in the long run.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I am pretty sure that I am gonna get the K&N drop-in now. I think im gonna wait till my dad gets home though because I need to know which Napa Auto parts store we have our account at..haha. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: orion6g

You'll notice the difference right after you drop it in. Performance-wise my car is stock except for the K&N and I found it was a great bang for your buck mod (if you can really call it a mod...) Pulls a little harder and increases gas mileage a fair bit. If you drive your car hard like me you'll make your money back in gas in no time .
Pulls harder?! It's worth like .5 HP, how can you feel that!

I bought the K&N drop-in so that I don't have to replace the paper one every oil change. Sure you get better air flow, and maybe better mileage.. but I can't believe there's enough in that filter to boost your performance to the point where you can feel it.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

After getting a K+N drop in for my new F-150 2 years ago I would recommend it for sure!!
I noticed a difference in power and mileage right away.
As soon as I got my Stang this February thats the first mod I did. Forty bucks. Worth every cent!
Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

I bought the K&N drop-in so that I don't have to replace the paper one every oil change. Sure you get better air flow, and maybe better mileage.. but I can't believe there's enough in that filter to boost your performance to the point where you can feel it.
If that's the case, then why wouldn't you just go full CAI? Don't they give you more HP in comparison to just the K&N? Or is that only the ones that require the tune that give you that much more? With that setup, I'd think it would be hard to tell if the tune or the CAI was making the improvement.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Explaced

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

If that's the case, then why wouldn't you just go full CAI? Don't they give you more HP in comparison to just the K&N? Or is that only the ones that require the tune that give you that much more? With that setup, I'd think it would be hard to tell if the tune or the CAI was making the improvement.
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting what. The K&N drop-in costs like $50, eliminates the paper filters forever saving you maybe $5 every other oil change. Increased airflow is probably good for a 1 or 2 HP, completely speculating as no one is crazy enough to dyno it.

It wouldn't be difficult to isolate how the car reacts to the tune alone vs. the intake and tune. I remember when I first joined this site, members were tuning their stangs without intakes and got a kick out of it. People that have gone from tune only to intake + tune would be able to measure the difference by neck snaps.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Action_Jackson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Moonbaby1973

With the K&N drop in I saw a slight mileage increase in daily driving. Before i had to squeeze about 280 miles out of a tank. Now i can get 300 no problem, and 400 on the interstate. Performance wise, i really cant tell much difference. But in my opinion, it pays for its self in the long run.
How the heck are you getting 400 miles to a tank? That would be over 30 mpg. I have the K&N drop in filter and a flowmaster exhaust and am only getting 24 mpg highway and 22 mpg city. Of course I cruise at around 80 mph on the highway, are you driving like 55mph?

I have not noticed any dramatic increase in power, and a slight increase in economy, maybe 1 mpg. I would save my money and get the tune/cai combo if you plan to do this anyway.

I didn't because I bought the extended warranty and am worried about voiding my warranty, but I guess there is ways around that. I just don't know for sure, I heard the computers log information such as highest speed achieved, high acceleration and deceleration caused by accidents, but like I said I am not an expert, I just read or heard this somewhere.