Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual Transmission Technique question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Transmission Technique question

Part of the fun of driving stick is down shifting , when braking , in corners or passing. Hell if you don't use you may as well drive an automatic !
Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tino

yes, It is all one motion... the RPM goes up of course, but I don't believe it does anything to the tranny...... I have been doing that for over 25 years and never had a tranny issue......

you just brake lightly shift the next lower gear....... let the RPM come down and shift down to the next lower gear ..assist with gentle brake action.....It is not a "NO BRAKE" action... it simply assists your slow down without heating up your brakes.....

i don't recommend using the tranny to slow down. brakes are easier to fix than a tranny.
We are not talking about "Not" using the brakes, just assisting in slowing down "not to a hard stop"
What do you think a O/D off switch does on auto cars? ..... It is intended to be used as a Engine brake in steep downhills......

As long as you don't try .......to go from 100Kmh in 5th to 3rd at a high rate of speed.... that would be suicidal!!!

huffhuff what reasoning do you have for your comment?
+1

Well said.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

If I know I am comming to a stopI will just apply the brakeswhile leaving the car in whatever gearI happen to be in until my rpm's match idle, thenI apply the clutch as I complete the stop. If I am slowing to make a turn or in any other situation where I am not going to stop, I apply the brakes until I get to the desired speed and then apply the clutch, shift to the appropriate gear (usually 2nd or 3rd), Tap the gas to match RPM and let the clutch out.

The goal is to put as little strain on he clutch and tranny as possible while allowing the brakes to perform their main function. Keeping the car in gear at all times allows the engine to assist in slowing the car.

IMO, an effective shift is one where you do not feel any change in momentum. Tap the gas to match RPM's in a downshift, you shouldnt feel any change when the clutch is brought down on the flywheel. It's not the job of the clutch to slowthe cardown.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Happy Birthday to this thread...over a year old and still alive!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
kuli
1st Gear Member

If I am coming to a red light I always put it in neutral and come to a stop with the brakes. It saves wear and tear on the engine and transmission, and it also saves gas (by not revving high when downshifting). I have been driving a manual cars now for over 10 years, and I have found this to be very successful at prolonging the life of transmissions and clutches.Nothing is really WRONG with downshifting, but I think it is a better habit to just put in neutral and anticipate when to shift into the appropriate gear instead of revving the crap out of the low gears.