Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual Transmission Technique question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default Manual Transmission Technique question

was just wondering something....

1) Say you are in 4th gear slowing down for a light. Do you put it in 3rd at 4th gear speed with Slight Braking (So that your RPM's Go Up) and let the Transmission slow you down and do that for every gear....Letting the clutch go slowly ofcourse, I am not talking about dropping it.

Or

2) If you are in 4th are you supposed to break (Down to about 3rd Gear speed) and then down shift? so that when you hit 3rd gear your Engine RPM's are matched and they dont shoot up 500 rpms or so?

--- I know that option #1 will save your break pads but is the trade off not worth it because of the transmission wear, if any?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:11 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Manual Transmission Technique question

Since I started driving (longer than I am willing to admit LOL) I go from 4 and simultaneously break and down to 3..... It is almost a single motion.....

I have never had a problem with wear in the tranny by doing so.... But I guess PM Blackfoot he is the definite guide to trannys....

Also I got the habbit of quickly tapping the gas as I upshift.... very briefly and not hard....but it help mantain rotation synch while shifting....
Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

i don't recommend using the tranny to slow down. brakes are easier to fix than a tranny.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

So your saying when you Down shift from 4th to 3rd you break first and at the time you shift there are no RPM increases?

I dont see how its hard on the transmission, basically its just using the resistance to assist you in slowing down rather then using all Brakes
Old 07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

yes, It is all one motion... the RPM goes up of course, but I don't believe it does anything to the tranny...... I have been doing that for over 25 years and never had a tranny issue......

you just brake lightly shift the next lower gear....... let the RPM come down and shift down to the next lower gear ..assist with gentle brake action.....It is not a "NO BRAKE" action... it simply assists your slow down without heating up your brakes.....

i don't recommend using the tranny to slow down. brakes are easier to fix than a tranny.
We are not talking about "Not" using the brakes, just assisting in slowing down "not to a hard stop"
What do you think a O/D off switch does on auto cars? ..... It is intended to be used as a Engine brake in steep downhills......

As long as you don't try .......to go from 100Kmh in 5th to 3rd at a high rate of speed.... that would be suicidal!!!

huffhuff what reasoning do you have for your comment?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

it is called downshifing, and i recommend you learn it....comes in handy in rain and snow.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

I know how to down shift just fine I have been doing it a long time but I was wondering how much Brake you use vs. using Transmission resistance to slow you down.

Here is what I do

1>2>3>4>5 *approaching a red light* Clutch in, Shift to 4th lightly press the brakes as I let the clutch out slowly and the RPM's may Raise 500 or so and continue to do that till second gear at which I go right in to neutral.

I was wondering if I should use MORE Brake so that when I do downshift the RPM's may only Raise 200-300 type of thing
Old 07-06-2006, 02:26 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

You are doing just fine for a Canadian!!!! LOL
Old 07-06-2006, 02:43 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

I am sorry, but I just realized this thread is pointless....

everybody drives different, and trying to explain how you drive just doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Its not pointless at all...I am not asking how other people Drive...There are Do's and Dont's with Shifting and certain techniques will give you a long transmission life vs. other techniques....I was asking if anyone had knowledge in this area.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Technique question