Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Picking a Stall Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
JohnCL9999

Default Picking a Stall Converter

Sorry for the double post. I posted this as part of another thread but deleted it.

I plan to get a stall converter for my 05 V6 auto tranny. How do I figure out the stall speed I need? A buddy of mine said to press hard on the brakes and at the same time go to full throttle and whatever RPM the car reads when the tires begin to spin is the stall speed. Is he right? And what does the camshaft have to do with getting the right converter? Thanks for any info you might have.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Picking a Stall Converter

I know nothing about the tranny in our cars, am old school with stall converters going back to my old 79 TRANS AM (sorry).

Is there a way to modify this electronically with a computer tuner??? Does anyone even make a stall converter for the 05 and beyond MUSTANG automatic. If so, I will be no help to you in this area. I just assumed that many of these types of mods were handled with a laptop or a tuner. I'm probably wrong on this, but once again I go back a way with this type of stuff.[sm=helpout.gif]
Old 07-08-2006, 10:19 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

pm rygen after the weekend. he's done some researcg in the area and he's got an auto
Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JohnCL9999

Sorry for the double post. I posted this as part of another thread but deleted it.

I plan to get a stall converter for my 05 V6 auto tranny. How do I figure out the stall speed I need? A buddy of mine said to press hard on the brakes and at the same time go to full throttle and whatever RPM the car reads when the tires begin to spin is the stall speed. Is he right? And what does the camshaft have to do with getting the right converter? Thanks for any info you might have.

Let me take a stab at this. I'm by no means really knowledgeable on stall converters so a lot of this is in my opinion. I may be wrong so any of you can correct me and I'll be happy for the extra knowledge. Again this is IMO.

First, all automatic transmission cars have a stall speed converter - its the number that makes the difference - like 3500 Stall Speed Converter, or 2000 or 2500. Your friend is right but that is kind of old school way of figuring it out because of differences in brake holding power from car to car. That is, if two cars were exactly alike in weight, horsepower, etc., the one with the weaker brakes would display a lower stall speed because the brakes will lose their grip at a lower RPM. The most accurate way to measure stall speed is to launch the car at full throttle, and note the rpm at which the car actually takes off. This might be quite low on stock vehicles - probably under 2000 unless the engine has been modified.

As for your camshaft question; probably the most important factor in selecting a torque converter is the camshaft. Remember the ideal stall speed RPM is at or just below the point where the ENGINE makes the most torque. That way you can throttle up to peak torque before the stall converter "locks" and your wheels can no longer stay still. The camshaft basically dictates the RPM level at which the ENGINE will produce it's peak torque, which will in turn dictate the optimum stall speed you must have. Too high a stall speed results in a car that is not only slower than it used to be, but also gets horrendous fuel economy and eats transmissions because the transmission is slipping all the time, absorbing power and passing it along as heat to the rest of the trannie. So by knowing the camshafts duration and lift you can easily calculate the peak torque RPM.

I know this is a long read and I apolgize.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I have seen stall converters on ebay for our cars I believe.