Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Idle Speed/ehaust tone question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:56 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default Idle Speed/ehaust tone question.

Ok so you know how when you start your car, and before it warms up it idles fast, I think mine start out around 1100 RPMS (give ar take a couple) Then mine drops to about 850ish, the down to 725ish. Anyways I really like the sound of the exhaust when the car idles at the 850ish, more than when it drops all the way to the 725ish. I know that you can adjust your idle speed with the Xcal. So my question is...would it be dumb for me to turn my idle speed up to that? I would assume MPG's would go down a little since I'd be idling faster, but would this tear up my engine quicker, or cause any other problems? I just though of this while heading out to get some coffee, so I haven't really thought it through yet. I wouldn't think any of these would be a big issue as the car does not set idle most of the time it's started, but still...also any benefits to this?? What do you think??
Old 07-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Idle Speed/ehaust tone question.

So...I was to lazy to create a new topic for my question so I will just use blazen's topic and jack it to the max +1 +1....

Was wondering about my fuel pump When I start my car in the morning.....HAHAHA just kidding!!

What was the question again? o yah idle...I have no useful input except that it will be cool to set it at like 3000rpm and have it automatically rev to 5000 over and over really fast...Now thats warming up!!!

+1 +1 +1
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

did someone sprinkle crack on your cereal this morning?

ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

So...I was to lazy to create a new topic for my question so I will just use blazen's topic and jack it to the max +1 +1....

Was wondering about my fuel pump When I start my car in the morning.....HAHAHA just kidding!!

What was the question again? o yah idle...I have no useful input except that it will be cool to set it at like 3000rpm and have it automatically rev to 5000 over and over really fast...Now thats warming up!!!

+1 +1 +1
Old 07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazen351

Ok so you know how when you start your car, and before it warms up it idles fast, I think mine start out around 1100 RPMS (give ar take a couple) Then mine drops to about 850ish, the down to 725ish. Anyways I really like the sound of the exhaust when the car idles at the 850ish, more than when it drops all the way to the 725ish. I know that you can adjust your idle speed with the Xcal. So my question is...would it be dumb for me to turn my idle speed up to that? I would assume MPG's would go down a little since I'd be idling faster, but would this tear up my engine quicker, or cause any other problems? I just though of this while heading out to get some coffee, so I haven't really thought it through yet. I wouldn't think any of these would be a big issue as the car does not set idle most of the time it's started, but still...also any benefits to this?? What do you think??
You should be fine, we are only talking 100rpm here. A lot of us loose more than that switching to higher gear ratios, and that does not cause problems and our MPG is still pretty good after that one. Just think of it like this, our cars should have come with 3.55's IMO like the GT manuals did, so there is your few hundered RPM difference. Also, as for MPG, this is at idle, how often do you sit at idle? MPG is more when you are in motion at higher rpms.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Ok that's pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted some one to back that up a bit. Thanks Rygen!

Erdrikk...LMAO...And you KNOW I'm not that bad...When I "Borrow" a thread it's comical....or at least it's supposed to be, but I'm not very funny.

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke
You should be fine, we are only talking 100rpm here. A lot of us loose more than that switching to higher gear ratios, and that does not cause problems and our MPG is still pretty good after that one. Just think of it like this, our cars should have come with 3.55's IMO like the GT manuals did, so there is your few hundered RPM difference. Also, as for MPG, this is at idle, how often do you sit at idle? MPG is more when you are in motion at higher rpms.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

lolol sorry man just havin some fun with yah!

But I was serious with the idle lol idle it at 3000rpm and turn heads!! bwhahahaahah

Ok that's pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted some one to back that up a bit. Thanks Rygen!

Erdrikk...LMAO...And you KNOW I'm not that bad...When I "Borrow" a thread it's comical....or at least it's supposed to be, but I'm not very funny.

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke
Old 07-14-2006, 12:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

But I was serious with the idle lol idle it at 3000rpm and turn heads!! bwhahahaahah
I would advise against this.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:30 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

I know dude, I ain't pissy. But I'm still not going your route...allthough I wouldn't even need to hit the gas while letting off the clutch to do a burnout...I'd probably only have a total life span of 1000 more miles on my car though LOL

Old 07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

I know dude, I ain't pissy. But I'm still not going your route...allthough I wouldn't even need to hit the gas while letting off the clutch to do a burnout...I'd probably only have a total life span of 1000 more miles on my car though LOL

ROFL you imgaine that....You start the key and you go automatically in to a burnout WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 07-14-2006, 12:36 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Maybe I'll try that just once for you after I get my SC.

ROFL you imgaine that....You start the key and you go automatically in to a burnout WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quick Reply: Idle Speed/ehaust tone question.