Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)

BUMP
Old 08-28-2006, 03:47 PM
McChicken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stratjakt

LOL

60mph to reverse.. I did that by accident once in my uncle's Bronco II on a gravel road. Well, 60 km/h to reverse.

Was driving a little silly, and started to slide, so I went to "slap" the shifter to knock it into neutral to steer out of my fishtailing, and damned if that POS didnt slap right into reverse. Shouldn't have been able to happen, but it did. I stopped and expected to see the tranny in chunks all over the road, but surprisingly it still drove.

He ended up replacing the tranny (#4 at that point, iirc) in that thing a few months later, I never told him what happened.

Crappiest. Truck. Ever.
LOL! I did the same thing in my parents' minivan back when I was young and stupid (except park, not reverse [][][]). It made a nasty sound, like when you pull one of those wind up cars too far back. I was like "oh shhhhhhhhhh**********t" but it still ran fine so I never said anything.

Later, the transmission went out very suspiciously early. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I'm not gonna comment on burnouts in an auto. Without a manual clutch, it's less a matter of ability than it is a matter of destruction. In order to keep the auto from doing what it's supposed to do (ie - move the car), you have to do something you shouldn't, like keeping the breaks hammered down. There's no good way of looking at it.

What I will say, though, is that there is a vast amount of misunderstanding and inexperience going around. First off, between the two trans (manual vs auto) more manual drivers are more experienced with their transmissions because they have to be. You're forced to deal with the response of the engine. Most auto users just pop it into D and go (and this includes all car drivers, not just 'Stangers). Trouble is, there are a LOT of drivers who just don't know how to drive an auto, other than that "D means go," and just as many manual drivers who think the same. It is very possible, as some of you know, to control the transmission of an auto and learn how it responds. Once you know how the car's auto transmission responds and what you have to do to make it tear off, you're only limited by the capabilities of the rest of the car.

Could the car perform better with a stick instead? Sure. If not, professional racers would use autos instead.

If it has an auto does it mean it's worthless? Heck no. That's just crap thinking.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:31 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Well powerbraking dont even work really. You could sit there for 10mns with the brake down and the gas on and it just doesnt turn because of which i believe someone said the rev limiter.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

Burnouts are easy, don't listen to these haters. And cool too, especially peg-leg burnouts! All you need is some gasoline, a match and total like of common sense. Then get into the car...quickly, before the engine and tires burn...rev it up in Neutral, drop it into D and powerbrake. I call this a sooopa-burnout. Only for the uber-1337!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

D dropping is bad 1st of all...and 2nd its not that we hating just alot of us actually cant do a burnout but i do like the gas n matches part lol
Old 08-29-2006, 01:19 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

No kidding it's bad, but as long as the car's being set on fire, may as well go all out!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Well powerbraking dont even work really. You could sit there for 10mns with the brake down and the gas on and it just doesnt turn because of which i believe someone said the rev limiter.
Torque limiter.... the Spanish Oak (the cars computer) has a Torque management system that prevents the car from making too much torque.. this is what is preventing you from doing a burnout... (this is not to be confused with the traction control system)
Old 09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Some cars must be differnet then because i can power brake 1 tire of course all day long in my 06 completly stock. Hell I have left a 40 foot long black mark in front of my parents house, just a couple weeks ago at the family reunion. Wierd i thought everbody could do that.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chadlet

Some cars must be differnet then because i can power brake 1 tire of course all day long in my 06 completly stock. Hell I have left a 40 foot long black mark in front of my parents house, just a couple weeks ago at the family reunion. Wierd i thought everbody could do that.

Nope... not everyone can... Based on my observations it appears that the 2006's are allow to develop more torque then the 2005's were... The guys that appear to be able to do big burnouts with automatics are 06's... so perhaps there was a change... Also the type of surface will play a big part in it...

BTW... I believe you are over in the Thumb...???? You should think about heading out to Ubly on October 14th!!! LOL!

Quick Reply: BURNOUT IN AUTOMATIC (how does everyone do it?)