Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

putting on GT parts and my insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default putting on GT parts and my insurance

Ok i am kinda concerned just for the fact that when i went and got my insurance they asked me if i had ever modded the car. i said no of course because i didnt have anything at the time. Then they also took pictures took of the car. So when i start putting on GT body kit parts should i inform my insurance company that i am doing this? Will my rates go up because of this? because the last thing i want them to do is for me to get hit by someone and then the cancel my insurance because i didnt inform them of my mods.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: putting on GT parts and my insurance

They took pictures of your car? Whose your insurance company? The only reason I would tell them is that if you wreck your car then you should get more money back for the upgraded parts.

When my GT was totalled the payoff was slightly higher because the previous owner had put a Flowmaster cat-back on there....I didn't have any cosmetic mods on there though, but I imagine it should be the same concept.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

well i went to freeway insurance and they handle a lot of mercury stuff. But it was freeway insurance that took the pictures. I know everytime i go and get insurance tho they ask me if i have any mods on my car.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:05 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

Ok i am kinda concerned just for the fact that when i went and got my insurance they asked me if i had ever modded the car. i said no of course because i didnt have anything at the time. Then they also took pictures took of the car. So when i start putting on GT body kit parts should i inform my insurance company that i am doing this? Will my rates go up because of this? because the last thing i want them to do is for me to get hit by someone and then the cancel my insurance because i didnt inform them of my mods.
Technically, any modification from stock should be reported to your insurance company if you want full value payment. But having said that, interchangeable body parts for appearance only should not be a problem. In the case of a necessary replacement, such as after a collision, you can usually deal with the body shop and pay the difference between the stock part and the GT replacement - grille and bumper combo for instance. Losses from theft, such as of an aftermarket stereo system, the insurance company will only pay for replacement of the stock system that came with the car. Wheels and tires are the same. The insurance agent asked if you modded the car so that he could list it on your policy and charge you for the additional costs (sometimes it's worth it - expecially if you've installed an expensive aftermarket part like a GPS/Video/FM satellite or sound system with all the bells and whistles.) In the case of loss or damage specifically resulting because of any modification you made (improperly installing brakes or weak suspension mods or mods which threatened the engine's integrity or deployment of the airbag) - usually the burden of proof is on the insurance company and its investigators if they want to avoid paying out. Bottom line, anything you do can be insured if you're willing to pay for it.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

What I would do is just call them and tell them you are "thinking" about putting on those take-off parts, and see what they say. If they are cool with it, then I would tell them. If not, you might have to just "forget" to tell them....
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

okay that is wierd, all they did is check the VIN number on my car to make sure its correct... and (NO) adding GT parts not increase your insurance... sry to say this but a GT front bumper wont give you 300HP... your car is still a sixer at heart.... State Farm doesnt care what you add, just as long as its the same engine... thats what ive been told...
Old 08-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

so just as long as i dont have something aftermarket like a supercharger that would cost a lot to replace i should be fine?
Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

yeah youll be fine, why should you have to tell them what your doing to your car? youve paid for your car... if they do raise your insurance, change insurance companies, because you dont need that bull.... LOL... Im doing the GT conversion myself, just ordered me a kit from THR... I cant wait... hehe
Old 08-27-2006, 03:22 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

so just as long as i dont have something aftermarket like a supercharger that would cost a lot to replace i should be fine?
Yep, it means that if your supercharger is damaged in an accident and you did not have it listed on your policy - you have to pay to replace it.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

dont tell them anything its not there bizness but do keep your recepts of the parts and anyother mods take pics and keep them in a file incase you do get in an accident you have proof of the extra work you had done and never tell them if you supercharge it

Quick Reply: putting on GT parts and my insurance