Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

car acting like a POS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

Default car acting like a POS!!!!!

[:@]Ok guys. its been a LONG time since i've posted here. anyways, to refresh, ive got an 06 v6 manual.
MODS- c&l intake with xcalII 93 tune, flowmaster single

my problem: today makes the FOURTH time that i have had to jump that pos this winter. Granted, it is winter here in Michigan and it gets really cold at night, but that shouldnt kill my car should it? After the third time it died, I jumped it and took it to Ford because its still under warrenty. They did a quick check of the battery and the alternator and said all was well. I let them keep it for the night and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said it was completely fine and could not explain why it kept dying!!!! What do you guys make of this? Has anybody else had this problem in cold weather? I need help here!

Just an add on: I live in an apartment complex so the car is always parked outside. I drive it once every couple of days. I shouldn't have to drive the damn thing every single day, should I?!?! If that is the case, a Ford Mustang is not a good car for cold weather.... Help me out guys...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: car acting like a POS!!!!!

I am sorry to ask, but what is the problem? Was the battery dead, wouldn't turn over, run and die???? We need a little more info please???
Old 02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

[:@]sorry let me explain better... when i go to start the car, it just makes a clicking noise. nothing in the car works. it wont turn over. Ford said the battery was operating at full power. as was the alternator and the rest of the charging system. i have an after market alarm, but they said it wasnt drawing too much from the battery. so what gives? how can the car be fine if it keeps dying?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

I would check the battery cables at the battery to make sure they are tight and not corroded. Then check the other endsand make sure they are tight. The clicking sound could be the starter solenoid or a relay-typically when they click it is from low current or a bad connection.

How did the dealer test the battery? It should be fully charged before doing a load test on it to make sure there isn't an internal short or a bad cell. Maybe pull out the battery and have the local auto parts store test it-but make sure it us fully charged first.

Start with the simple stuff first. Good Luck!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:19 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Make sure you turn off your radio.. i've heard something about the amps staying powered after the car is turned off.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

[:@]Thanks for the replys... The thing is that Ford kept it over night and checked everything. At least they said they did! It doesnt make sense. If it is jumped, it runs perfect. And it can sit for a day or two and start up just fine. But if I let it sit for more than say, three days, it dies. Could it just be tempermental to the cold? this is the second winter I've had the car. Last winter was fine with the car. No problems. GRRRRR! its just frustrating. Is there something specific i can ask ford to check for? what are my options? because they said it was fine.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Must be michigan because i have an 06 auto and the other day after that week of 0 degree and below temp went out to start it up for a while to make sure the battery stays fresh and it was dead to the world. Not even and instrument light would come on. **** thin about that is who ever designed the dam windows that automatically roll up under the lip should be shot. When the battery is dead they dont roll down when you open the door. There for door does not come open that easy. Also does it when the windows are froze like everyday in the winter. Dumb design imo.

Anyway after i get it started decide I better drive it to work for the day. I notice the auto down on the drivers window works but the auto up wouldnt. After work it started working again. Not sure if the last time i drove it the window was froze down a little and the auto up was trying to but it up the rest of the way and thats what killed the battery or what. But it sucks.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i usedto docomedy in michigan it does get mighty cold up there.....i grew up in ohio and had to start my dads vette in a heated garage at least once a week or the battery died.....my suggestion would eb to start it every day.....i have travelled far and wide and when it gets cold and i mean michigan/chicago/north dakota/wisconsin cold/.....you need to start the car everyday.....
Old 02-15-2007, 03:52 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BHRS

I am sorry to ask, but what is the problem? Was the battery dead, wouldn't turn over, run and die???? We need a little more info please???
@BHRS....mine does it too. When its colder it get worse but if I run it on the freeway for a while and it seems to be fine. If I do city driving I get the long starts, or no starts. It don't make any sense. I talked to 2 dealers and the gave me the I don't know answer. I keep jumpers around.
One hint that seems to work for me...As soon as I put the key in I turn it over. If I let the gauges go up and the computer boot up thats when it won't start. Give it a shot!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

WOWW i have the same exact problem i bought a booster pack so when it dies i just give it a boost. i live in brookly ny, and as soon as the weather hit like 15 deg. thats when all this crap started everyday i go outside the cars dead brought it to the dealer after the 4th time same thing cant find anything wrong. today i juss went to start it again still dead so now im having it towed there,if they cant find a problem now then they should be shot.

Quick Reply: car acting like a POS!!!!!