Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sequential Tail Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM
CaSh69JuE
1st Gear Member

Default Sequential Tail Light Help

I just bought a set of sequential tail lights off ebay, and then noticed the auction said "will only work on mustangs built before 11/05" The guy said they changed the harness after that month so it requires a different kit. When lookin for sequential tail lights on mustang sites, i have never been asked when my car was built....Can anyone confirm or deny this report?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Sequential Tail Light Help

Yes, at some point during 05 production, Ford changed the connector on the harness. I bought mine from CDC (classic design concepts) and as I recall they mention that and sell 2 different sets.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

that is true. is the one that you got a plug and play( like the CDC/MRT) or is it the one with all the crazy wirring shiyat? if its the plug and play ones you might be able to go to the Ford dealer ship and have them put in the new harnesses for you other then that i dont know.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
CaSh69JuE
1st Gear Member

I bought the plug and play, the other one i just found out is 50 more then the one i bought....that is really annoying
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

if the change was made 11/05 then this should be in the middle of the '06 model run...

so all '05's and early '06's would use the theoriginal kit, later '06 and up models would use theupdated kit.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 PM
oldtimer stanger
1st Gear Member

not true on the 11/05 cut off date my pony was built 12/05 and had the old style harness
the way to tell is remove rear panel in trunk.if you have a taped together harness it is the early(2005) harness, if your wires are separate NOT taped together you have the later harness the
reason for higher price on later harmess, you have to replace a socket on the inboard light earlier 2005 style already has the socket in place. i also bought mine on e-bay from M&M Electronics, was the splice in kit, not a big deal at all, very simple, directions with the kit were so easily followed and m&m was so helpful, they work great, give them a shot they'll e mail you a pic of both harnesses
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 PM
modelairman

Hi,
I have installed a sequetial tail light kit on two stangs now, my 05, and my 06. The 05 had a tail light scocket that was common to all three bulbs and was easily re-wired for the light kit. When my 05 was replaced on a lemon law exchange I removed the kit for the 05 and went to put it on the new 06 and had a big disapointing suprise! The 06 light sockets were potted, (sealed in epoxy) and could not be modified for the light kit, also two of the sockets were for a dual filament bulb and inside socket was for a single filament bulb.
I figured out what to do and it involved getting ahold of a 05 wire harness, but at the time none seemed available from any salvage yard that I could find.
I went to my dealer and ordered one new tail-light wire harness, harvested the two double filament scockets and spliced them into the 06 harnes replacing the single filament scocket on each taillight.
I cant remember for sure how much the dealer nailed me for the harness, but I think it was about $80 maybe a little less.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

see picture of both harnesses at bottom of page

http://www.americanmuscle.com/dystseta2.html
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

once the sequential lights are installed, would they be like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FWiaFJ9lAj8
Old 06-13-2007, 11:12 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Did you get a good deal on them?

I ask because I think I have the early model wiring harness.

Which company made yours?

Some have an "adapter" harness to convert the old model to the new...

SOHC

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail Light Help