Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang envy

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang envy

i was filling up my tank at costco and this guy starts asking me the usual questions (what's SDS, how much power, how fast, etc) so he goes on telling me how he's never really liked mustangs and how they're crap and blah blah blah, and i was just absorbing it because i was going to wait for him to finish. so after he was done talking, i looked over and said "let me guess, the new mustang came out and you begged your wife for one, but she told you that you guys can't afford it and it doesn't keep all the kneebiters and now you're just jealous that a 20 year old is driving a mustang while you're driving a minivan, sound about right?" he nods.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

i was filling up my tank at costco and this guy starts asking me the usual questions (what's SDS, how much power, how fast, etc) so he goes on telling me how he's never really liked mustangs and how they're crap and blah blah blah, and i was just absorbing it because i was going to wait for him to finish. so after he was done talking, i looked over and said "let me guess, the new mustang came out and you begged your wife for one, but she told you that you guys can't afford it and it doesn't keep all the kneebiters and now you're just jealous that a 20 year old is driving a mustang while you're driving a minivan, sound about right?" he nods.

Ahaha Classic! I really do hate people who say how bad Stangs are and how they hate them; they seem to believe that I, for some reason, care about their opinions. Seriously, it's my car, leave me to it. I bought it so I clearly like something about it. I don't walk up to civic owners/minivan owners/misc. other crappy sedan owners and just flaunt my opinions about them to their owners. Clearly the whole "Treat others as you would like to be treated" message was not recieved by the majority of human beings walking this planet. [sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: Alloyed

Ahaha Classic! I really do hate people who say how bad Stangs are and how they hate them; they seem to believe that I, for some reason, care about their opinions. Seriously, it's my car, leave me to it. I bought it so I clearly like something about it. I don't walk up to civic owners/minivan owners/misc. other crappy sedan owners and just flaunt my opinions about them to their owners. Clearly the whole "Treat others as you would like to be treated" message was not recieved by the majority of human beings walking this planet.
Let's include many people on this forum too! If people posted like that here, then this forum would be a much better place.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

it is envy +1 ....nothing like seeing some buy in beemer look at my ride and have the horrid realization that my stang looks cooler than his sauerkraut mobile and it 20,000 less.....in l.a. there is an attitude of beemer dirver that they are better than the rest....but i know a thing or two about people and non verbal communication...i even had one guy pullup in an m5 and comment ask how i liked it.....he followed with ...im think of trading this in for one....i told him he wouldnt regret it.....then he asked what kind of mustang i had i told him a six....he asked if he could buy my car they way i have it modded i told him no, but it would still be less than the car he is driving.....he gave thumbs up....hopefully a convert....i love beateing beemers and benzes.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

I usually stay away from comparing this to bmw because it'll make people think i wished i bought one of those, but realistically the body style on the mustang is better and also mustangs aren't really yuppie cars to begin with. I've seen bmw's at the auto show that aren't as fast and don't get as good of fuel economy as a v6 mustang but cost about $20k more. What a waste of money. Sure maybe the gaps are good and the carpet might be better, but I"m not sure. I just don't pay attention to them that much. I would've looked into buying one if Ford hadn't come out with this car.

As far as rear seat space and cargo room goes. Well.. it has plenty of cargo space and I don't see how someone could complain unless they absolutely must put stuff behind the seats I guess. I didn't buy a sports car to be chauffering people everywhere like a soccer mom nor did I buy it to haul a bunch of luggage and all that nonsense. It's good for single people. I'm not sure that it's much of a family car but I think it's fine for a weekend car for one who is raising kids.

I've had people with 4cyl hondas try to find flaws as well, but usually they had much harder lives than mine and those types of people can't get over their own situation so they need to find someone else to scoff. All I can really say is those people don't have much brains so that's why they're trying to scoff other people's cars.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I was gassing up about a year ago when a guy comes over and tells me “Nice Car! I haven’t seen one of those before. How much did it cost?†when I told him his jaw about dropped off. He says that is my new car and points at a brand new Kia 4 door and told me that he paid more then I paid for V6 Mustang. Here comes the good part…His wife walks up and says looking at my Mustang “That aint no family car. It aint got four doors!â€

Poor guy…about laughed my *** off as I drove away but not in front of him out of respect for his situation.

Here is a good one for V6s bashers. Personally I love to see the looks on people’s faces when they check out my car and ask if it is a GT or Shelby or Saleen and I tell them it is a V6. With all the mods including the X-Charger I am still under the price of a stock GT and can handily out perform them on every point. Sure the V8s can be modded to beat the pants off my V6 but most of the V8s you see driving around are rock stock and don’t stand a chance against my V6 having more power and being lighter. Being a motor head is part of the fun for me. I love the underdog and have always driven sleepers. It is just part of the additional fun.

The other day I was at a yacht club with one of my friends. She was telling this guy all about my Mustang and how cool it was. He asked a bunch of questions and one of the last ones was “Well is it a Cobra or Saleen?†Nope I said “It is a V6.†The look on this guys face was worth a million bucks! You would have thought someone had just told him he had a week to live!! I just love it when dopes like that don’t know a thing about cars other then the V6 is the economy model and the V8 is something to be had. What a crock! I love to see those reactions!! I just shows how dumb they are when it comes to fun and performance verses money and prestige. Just because someone spends a ton of money on a car doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a top performer and personally I could give a hoot about the prestige part. Having a fun inexpensive nice performing car is what my V6 is all about.

I would be willing to bet there are a lot of V8 guys out there that have such high car payments that they couldn’t afford to mod there Mustang even if they wanted to. Hell one of my co-workers is in that boat. I bought my V6 Pony Package without mentioning it to anyone and drove it to work. Within a month he bought a GT. The only thing he could say as to why he bought a GT is “Listen to this†as he started the engine “That is what I’m talking about, nothing sounds like a V8.†He told me. My 72 Nova with a ZZ4 350 and Flowmasters makes a stock GT Mustang sound silly! Paying almost 10,000 more just to have the V8 sounds. Not for this Pony! He sees all the mods I have done and really likes them but has yet to do anything at all to personalize or pep up his GT. He complains about what crappy throttle response his GT has. My V6 will practical snap you head off just getting on the throttle a little bit! Opps….a tune to take care of this cost money…damm car payment!...LOL GO V6, GO V6, GO V6, Gooooooooo.

I bet the V8 guys don’t get slammed by us V6 guys very often but here ya go!!!

All in fun though. I Mustang is a Mustang and we all love them even the V8s!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nice Pony

I was gassing up about a year ago when a guy comes over and tells me “Nice Car! I haven’t seen one of those before. How much did it cost?†when I told him his jaw about dropped off. He says that is my new car and points at a brand new Kia 4 door and told me that he paid more then I paid for V6 Mustang. Here comes the good part…His wife walks up and says looking at my Mustang “That aint no family car. It aint got four doors!â€

Poor guy…about laughed my *** off as I drove away but not in front of him out of respect for his situation.

Here is a good one for V6s bashers. Personally I love to see the looks on people’s faces when they check out my car and ask if it is a GT or Shelby or Saleen and I tell them it is a V6. With all the mods including the X-Charger I am still under the price of a stock GT and can handily out perform them on every point. Sure the V8s can be modded to beat the pants off my V6 but most of the V8s you see driving around are rock stock and don’t stand a chance against my V6 having more power and being lighter. Being a motor head is part of the fun for me. I love the underdog and have always driven sleepers. It is just part of the additional fun.

The other day I was at a yacht club with one of my friends. She was telling this guy all about my Mustang and how cool it was. He asked a bunch of questions and one of the last ones was “Well is it a Cobra or Saleen?†Nope I said “It is a V6.†The look on this guys face was worth a million bucks! You would have thought someone had just told him he had a week to live!! I just love it when dopes like that don’t know a thing about cars other then the V6 is the economy model and the V8 is something to be had. What a crock! I love to see those reactions!! I just shows how dumb they are when it comes to fun and performance verses money and prestige. Just because someone spends a ton of money on a car doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a top performer and personally I could give a hoot about the prestige part. Having a fun inexpensive nice performing car is what my V6 is all about.

I would be willing to bet there are a lot of V8 guys out there that have such high car payments that they couldn’t afford to mod there Mustang even if they wanted to. Hell one of my co-workers is in that boat. I bought my V6 Pony Package without mentioning it to anyone and drove it to work. Within a month he bought a GT. The only thing he could say as to why he bought a GT is “Listen to this†as he started the engine “That is what I’m talking about, nothing sounds like a V8.†He told me. My 72 Nova with a ZZ4 350 and Flowmasters makes a stock GT Mustang sound silly! Paying almost 10,000 more just to have the V8 sounds. Not for this Pony! He sees all the mods I have done and really likes them but has yet to do anything at all to personalize or pep up his GT. He complains about what crappy throttle response his GT has. My V6 will practical snap you head off just getting on the throttle a little bit! Opps….a tune to take care of this cost money…damm car payment!...LOL GO V6, GO V6, GO V6, Gooooooooo.

I bet the V8 guys don’t get slammed by us V6 guys very often but here ya go!!!

All in fun though. I Mustang is a Mustang and we all love them even the V8s!!!
Well put, Sir.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

Seconded.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

I haven't experienced the hate yet, most people tell me i have a BEAUTIFUL CAR! I thank them and say yea your right! Many people that i know use to drive mustangs and still love them, they just needed more "FAMILY" cars. But among teenagers to 30 year olds........MUSTANGS RUN THE STREETS! There is at least 1 mustang on every block..................no shabby *** camaros or that heavy *** firebird. I mean, how can you expect to fly/race driving the titantic!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
mightymax

Hi Folks,
I have not experienced much "hate" but one of the wifes co-workers asked her if I got the "crappy six".

Anyway as the argument for the limited back seat and cargo space. There is no argument! The Mustang is a ponycar and from the get go it was really designed for two but two could occasionally ride along in the rear seat. Every Ponycar has the same makeup. My Camaro or 69 Stanghad no backseat space to offer a comfortable cruise for part time occupants. Neither did the Cuda my friend once had.
The trunk is big enough for a couple of suitcases or bags from the store. Ponycars are not and never have been meant to be the family "grocery getter". Theywere designed for the "youth market" and that translates into they are meant to be fun cars and not econobox family haulers. I have a convertible so I am sure my trunk space is even less than a coupe. Also do coupes have fold down rear seats? I digress...

I traded off my Camaro and 69 Mustang when the kids came along. I drove junk for 12 plus years until I got my 06. When I come around a corner or turn from a stoplight I sometimes catch the looks of those guys driving the kids in the Minivan. Those looks speak to me and they say loud and clear....
"you lucky Bastage!" Believe me I know cause I did my time in family car purgatory.

Also I originally wanted a GT and never test drove a 6. They would not deal. Then when 0 percent came along and they had a 6er with my name on it. My price went from 34K (GT)to 27K (loaded 6 pony)and my payment which would have been 460.00 went to less than 300.00. I did not need those 90 hp for 7 grand and besides I still have those kids to feed! No sir those 6 haters can bite me if they can catch me! If they catch me I will wave to them with the top down and my favorite cd in the player!

Cheers,
Max Bryant

Quick Reply: Mustang envy