Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang envy

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Black Pony 4.0

Default Mustang envy

I keep reading about 'sixer hate' and although I've had to deal with it a couple of times already, it's nothing compared to the general Mustang envy I've experienced. I've had people tell me its a 'pretty good looking' car but no way could they deal with the limited rear seat space, trunk space, fit and finish, etc. One of my Honda driving co-workers goes out of his way to try to find anything at all wrong with MY car.
NowI drove Hondas for years and they are indeed fine machines but that's just the point....they're, for the most part, invisible. My Mustang may not be perfect but it has character, something many cars lack. Sure the panel gaps could be a little tighter and the carpet could fit just a bit better ( just two of the comments I've heard) but my Mustang has PERSONALITY. That's what kept me from going with a new Honda. I wanted something more than an appliance.

It's amazing how our cars can bring out jealousy in other drivers.....
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang envy

+1 Yep it is always the guy driving the minvan or civic or camry that have opinions on our cars....Its silly really. We have a car that costs less than most, is the fastest car under $20K nad get reasonable mileage. Not to shabby, in my mind at least. So I say when the civic driver gets his can opener out and jumps in his beige can of a car be happy that you are driving a car that is truley styled with elegance.
The V6 hate by other Mustangs get under the skin worse because we are suppsed to have a common bond, but do to the smaller cylinder count it a chance to beat the car down.....
Old 07-04-2007, 09:05 PM
deltarider99

I think most of it is envy, actually. I drive an '04 Mitsu Ralliart and I've been getting ready to trade it in for an '07 or '08 Stang. Doesn't matter who I talk to about it, most people will instantly dismiss the idea of getting one. I don't listen half the time...can't wait to get mine!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:01 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deltarider99

I think most of it is envy, actually. I drive an '04 Mitsu Ralliart and I've been getting ready to trade it in for an '07 or '08 Stang. Doesn't matter who I talk to about it, most people will instantly dismiss the idea of getting one. I don't listen half the time...can't wait to get mine!
Concidering I don't know what a '04 Mitsu Ralliart looks like, go with the Mustang!

Most cars are "invisible" as you say.

SOHC
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Black Pony 4.0

I keep reading about 'sixer hate' and although I've had to deal with it a couple of times already, it's nothing compared to the general Mustang envy I've experienced. I've had people tell me its a 'pretty good looking' car but no way could they deal with the limited rear seat space, trunk space, fit and finish, etc. One of my Honda driving co-workers goes out of his way to try to find anything at all wrong with MY car.
NowI drove Hondas for years and they are indeed fine machines but that's just the point....they're, for the most part, invisible. My Mustang may not be perfect but it has character, something many cars lack. Sure the panel gaps could be a little tighter and the carpet could fit just a bit better ( just two of the comments I've heard) but my Mustang has PERSONALITY. That's what kept me from going with a new Honda. I wanted something more than an appliance.

Hey Black! I ride a Harley as well as drive a Mustang. There is a saying in the Harley community that we use often. "IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND" Nuff said!!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Black Pony 4.0

Well said! I'll use that myself.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin

ORIGINAL: Black Pony 4.0

Hey Black! I ride a Harley as well as drive a Mustang. There is a saying in the Harley community that we use often. "IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND" Nuff said!!
Yup!

I used to get asked all the time when I had my 429, "Where are you going to use all that horsepower?"

"IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"

SOHC
Old 07-06-2007, 02:58 AM
pkeough
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06

+1 Yep it is always the guy driving the minvan or civic or camry that have opinions on our cars....Its silly really. We have a car that costs less than most, is the fastest car under $20K nad get reasonable mileage. Not to shabby, in my mind at least. So I say when the civic driver gets his can opener out and jumps in his beige can of a car be happy that you are driving a car that is truley styled with elegance.
I get the same thing you just said, only it was a guy that drives a geo metro that doesnt even have paint...
Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

hahah gettin ragged on by a 3 cylinder car. thats just funny. geo metros are about as fast as .......waite they arnt fast at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:18 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Clearly it's envy.
This lady at work gives me crap about the Stang. She says the new Camaro is so much prettier and she is going to get one. She's 24, unmarried, 4 kids and 2 ex-husbands. LoL, she will be driving a mini van for the next 20 years.

Quick Reply: Mustang envy