Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:09 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?

ORIGINAL: cmschlatt

+1 on this. i would REALLY like to have a direct input into my shaker500. my current fm transmitter is horrible.
What is the problem with an FM transmitter? I was thinking of getting an FM transmitter for my Ipod. I have an XM radio the connects to my car stereo via FM signal and it seems to work fine. I don't even have an external antenna for the XM radio. I just lay the XM antenna on the dash and it picks up fine.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DylanFan

What is the problem with an FM transmitter? I was thinking of getting an FM transmitter for my Ipod. I have an XM radio the connects to my car stereo via FM signal and it seems to work fine. I don't even have an external antenna for the XM radio. I just lay the XM antenna on the dash and it picks up fine.
the problem is they transmit a really weak signal, unlike your satelite unit, and you get mostly static interference from other stations. i've tried two: belkin FM transmitter and the iTrip unit. they are frustating as hell but the ones you plug into the cigarette lighter seem to have a little stronger signal but still suck. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. i began using my iTrip for my portable boombox and it works pretty well with it. So if you want wireless connectivity to your boombox, iTrip will work fine. If you want one for your stang, be patient for a hardwire unit that doesnt screw with your computer.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Mountain Mustang
1st Gear Member

I bought the PIE AUX unit from discountcarstereo.com a few months ago. Installed it and the Shaker 500 wouldn't recognise it. Returned it for another, installed it- same thing. Returned it for a refund. They refunded the price of the PIE but not the shipping cost. They claim this is an industry standard. Shady buisness practice. I will not deal with them again.

MM
Old 08-18-2007, 12:35 AM
82wife
1st Gear Member

I have the Periphrial adapter and it worked perfectly for two months than a couple weeks ago my dash went crazy and my A/C stopped working so i took it to the dealership and they said that the problem was the adapter so the disconnected it and sent me on my way BUT my dash was still messed up so i looked around on here and someone said to try reflashing the car. so i disconnected the battery and after that it worked like a charm and after i rehooked the adapter it worked to. So i would say try reflashing it might just be as simple as that!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:33 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 82wife

I have the Periphrial adapter and it worked perfectly for two months than a couple weeks ago my dash went crazy and my A/C stopped working so i took it to the dealership and they said that the problem was the adapter so the disconnected it and sent me on my way BUT my dash was still messed up so i looked around on here and someone said to try reflashing the car. so i disconnected the battery and after that it worked like a charm and after i rehooked the adapter it worked to. So i would say try reflashing it might just be as simple as that!
your right about "reflashing" or disconnecting/reconnecting your battery but believe me, the problem will keep coming back. it was a regular occurance with me. i wasn't convinced that the Peripheral unit was causing it but when I was informed by Peripheral themselves that they no longer support the unit for late mustangs and to return for a full refund, i was finally convinced that it was. so what about this AXXESS unit? is this the one that may finally work?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 AM
jerimiahy16
2nd Gear Member

+1 on this. i would REALLY like to have a direct input into my shaker500. my current fm transmitter is horrible.
Hmm. If only I remembered what FM transmitter I bought a few years back at Best Buy...

Mine is crystal clear even on the commercial truck I drive for work with a broken antenna. And the transmitter only cost me 10 bucks.

Edit: Ah I found it! It's the Tune Cast II by Belkin (older model) http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166893

I got it on clearance at best buy at the time. Looks like MSRP is 39.99

Edit again: Also note I have it on 88.7FM 99.9 percent of the time it's nothing but static until the FM transmitter kicks in. Find a station such as that and your FM transmitter should kick in and be crystal clear like mine.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 AM
7SiNz
1st Gear Member

The only way to really have an Ipod work properly, in my opinion, is to get a new stereo. I got one installed for about 350.00 and now my Ipod works perfectly and I can store it below the new stereo...
Old 08-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7SiNz

The only way to really have an Ipod work properly, in my opinion, is to get a new stereo. I got one installed for about 350.00 and now my Ipod works perfectly and I can store it below the new stereo...
true, but the whole point is to leave the original stereo installed. i wouldn't swap it out unless it was giving me mechanical problems.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:48 AM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerimiahy16

Hmm. If only I remembered what FM transmitter I bought a few years back at Best Buy...

Mine is crystal clear even on the commercial truck I drive for work with a broken antenna. And the transmitter only cost me 10 bucks.

Edit: Ah I found it! It's the Tune Cast II by Belkin (older model) http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166893

I got it on clearance at best buy at the time. Looks like MSRP is 39.99

Edit again: Also note I have it on 88.7FM 99.9 percent of the time it's nothing but static until the FM transmitter kicks in. Find a station such as that and your FM transmitter should kick in and be crystal clear like mine.

the fm transmitter i have has a very strong signal, its just more "staticy" than i would like it to be.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
jerimiahy16
2nd Gear Member

the fm transmitter i have has a very strong signal, its just more "staticy" than i would like it to be.
May want to talk with the manufactuer or switch it out for a better one. I'm not sure why that would happen as I am no expert.

I only know that I found 88.7FM is consistently absent through my region (including surrounding states) and thus my transmitter has not only perfect signal but also crystal clear.

Quick Reply: iPod/Digital Music player adapter for Shaker500?