Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

I'm Planning to get the X during the next GB that doesn't stall out as the last two attempts have. Without a GB the cost plus shipping (add your first born) is just too much for me to justify.

I'd like to be the first XMan in the Hawaiian Islands.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

All right I've read all 391 posts in this thread, and I have a couple questions.
1. I have a tuner from Bama already, when I order the intercooled X (w/out tuner) can I get a tune with it (email). I would think it would be a no brainer, but just checking.
2. As mentioned above...any ideas on another group but?
3. Anybody in south-central WI already have one that would wanna get together for a ride and talk.
4. The only option with the Xtreme is the 2.6" pulley. Is there a reason it isn't sold with a 2.8" or 3"? Is the 2.6" just the better otion with the Xtreme?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:40 PM
JimC

If you already have the SCT Xcal tuner you can order a mail order tune for the Xcharger; I don't think you can get it from American Muscle though, but there are others (JDM, VMPTuning, etc).

There is a guy in Wisconsin, more SE as I recall. His screen name over at www.mustangcollective.com is Yelby, and Sniper over there is in Illinois.

The reason the Xtreme comes with the 2.6" pulley is because the intercooler will reduce your boost from what the 2.8" gives you because of the intercooler in the air flow. So the 2.6" is to bring you back up (mine runs 10 - 12 lbs still after upgrading to the Xtreme). You can run the bigger pulley, you just won't make as much power or boost. Since most people going to the Xtreme are looking for more power and performance, the 2.6" pulley is the logical upgrade.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Jim for the quick responce. Can you recomend any gauges that would be a good idea, just to keep an eye on things? Boost and AF?

Are adding these gauges a recomendation or just nice to have?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 PM
JimC

The wideband AFR is a must have in my opinion - you want to keep an eye on things to see if the car is going lean for any reason.

Boost is nice to have, but not essential since you can't change it like you can on a turbo. But it will give you an indication that you are getting some belt slip and if you get a vacuum/boost gauge you can use that as a check on the health of the engine or if you have a vacuum leak.

Those are the only two that I am running. Eventually I will add an Aeroforce Scan Gauge so I can keep an eye on things like head temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Jim, I was thinking I "should" go with the WB AF, fuel press, and boost. If I can get away with just 2 gauges then I could just use the vent pods instead of a dash or pillar pod. In your opinion is the fuel pressure gauge worth going a different direction with the placement than what I want?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
JimC

Fuel pressure is good to have available - that and the AFR give you quite a bit of information if you are watching for it.

I went with the Roush pods, using the center vents:

AFR and boost. I have thought about adding a third gauge for fuel pressure, or the Aeroforce scan gauge in the middle of the two and am probably going with the Aeroforce to pick up more things to watch. The area behind that panel is empty so cutting a hole and sliding the gauge in isn't difficult.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:38 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Fuel pressure is good to have available - that and the AFR give you quite a bit of information if you are watching for it.

AFR and boost. I have thought about adding a third gauge for fuel pressure, or the Aeroforce scan gauge in the middle of the two and am probably going with the Aeroforce to pick up more things to watch. The area behind that panel is empty so cutting a hole and sliding the gauge in isn't difficult.
I would just get a 3rd roush pod for the left most vent or one of the 3 gauge dash gauge holders, I only cut into my car when absolutlely neccesary.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC

I was thinking about it and think I'm going to go with the boost and fuel pres in the same center vents. Then put the AFR in the center between the two. I like the look of your gauges in the center vents.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

I am the proud parent of Xcharger Xtreme #201, I have officially joined the Xmen.
Finally got the Xtreme installed, its been a long time waiting and its in.
I LOVE THIS THING!!!

The instant suck-you-back in the seat power and the scream under the hood. It also looks badass sitting on top of the motor. I don't really know how to describe the fun of this sc, besides when I drive it I wanna just go 0-90 all day long. I just wish that I had a little more time before the weather goes to crap here and I have to store it.

Question: I have an automatic tranny and I've noticed that if I try to take off hard all I do is sit and spin and watch the tach bounce through the gears. I realize it takes some getting used to and I have only driven it 3 days now, but is there any advice on suspension mods that I should look into to help put the power on the ground. I am running Pirreli M+S stock size tires.

I looked through the handling section and wasn't able to find much, so I thought I would go right to my Xmen brethren.

Quick Reply: X-Charger Discussion Thread