Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

drift setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM
sopenco1
1st Gear Member

Default drift setup

ok so after getting bashed for trying my drift on the street i did some research and discovered there is a group of guys that have weekly drift events on a closed circuit. they do this at an abandoned airport and its legal. after this said, i think im interested in getting my car sideways again on this meets but what would be the proper set up for our cars. im thinking of c&l, tuner, 3.73 gears, tlock, lowering the car and adding sway bars and getting the take off bullits. what other things should i worry about? i know this is new territory for some of you guys but its a new sport that its getting alot of recognition. and just to let you know im planning to keep everything on the track drifting is a bad thing to do on the streets, there are so many variables that may occur on the streets so dont worry guys i just want to have some weekend fun on the track.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

Default RE: drift setup

Get a second and 3rd job for tires
Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Dont get a tlock your gonna break it drifting. Go with an 8.8 rear Also not takeoff bullits. Id go on 18s with low profile tires. Also a crapload of suspension work. Start by lowering get shocks and struts and sways.Mustangs do get pro drifted but they need alot of work. All the help i can give you.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

i know of the same kinda situation around where i live here in SoCal and i'm looking into doing the same as you! first things first though, you have to get some connections! especially with tire shop guys
Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the tires
Old 11-19-2007, 12:56 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Glad to hear yourgonnadrifton aclosed course! It's pretty much what you said to do, except the tuner, gears, and cai are pretty much for acceleration only. Bigger sway bars are good, lowering it isa great idea, and look at my thread for some more information I have on making a really good handling 4.0.Just to let you know, this isn't going to be a cheap set-up, which I'm not sure you know(I see your wallet is empty). I'd say anice handling set-up for a 4.0 will runover $1.2k (sway bars, lsd, bullitts,and lowering springs and other lowering springs must coincidingmods) if you can do all the installs yourself.Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
kirax105strike
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: petepete

Dont get a tlock your gonna break it drifting. Go with an 8.8 rear Also not takeoff bullits. Id go on 18s with low profile tires. Also a crapload of suspension work. Start by lowering get shocks and struts and sways.Mustangs do get pro drifted but they need alot of work. All the help i can give you.
+1 no tlock
and yah other than that just have the $$ for the tires you'll be burning through
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

you'll most likely break half the parts on that car drifiting it how it is. But we live to learn right.

18's with 35 sidewalls, sportline springs, shocks/struts, 8.8 rear end first, swaybars, you should be wanting more power in no time.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

hmmm, get an 8.8 rear end, and put in the FRPP tlok and girdle. Then do low profile 18s or 19s, with some drift specific tires (and get a few sets). Then go for the Koni setup for our cars, and get all the FRPP suspention parts available. Then make sure you get a good helmet or something, because there is a large chance you are gunna hurt yourself....
Old 11-19-2007, 06:22 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

don't use an lsd, get a locker. Those clutch packs are gonna die fast drifting. tighten up the drivetrain and suspension A LOT.

get some adjustable coil-overs, some thick sway bars, strut tower brace, k-member brace, LCA's, UCA, panhard bar, etc. make sure your have money for extra tires cause those are gonna die quickly. work on the brakes too. drifting is probably the most expensive sport you can get involved in so be ready for the big bucks to be flowin outta your wallet.

Quick Reply: drift setup