Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust setup: Headers, Cats, X/H pipe, Mid pipe, Mufflers..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust setup: Headers, Cats, X/H pipe, Mid pipe, Mufflers..

thats the same car i heard that made me want them, and as you can see by my sig, im going that exact set up you just mentioned, i already have the headers, pipes should be here late next week, but i still have to order the stingers
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

IMO go with the entire Stainless Works exhaust setup. They replace everything from the heads to the mufflers. You really dont want to mess with different parts in the exhaust, it is just a pain in the ***
Old 12-15-2007, 02:42 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

IMO go with the entire Stainless Works exhaust setup. They replace everything from the heads to the mufflers. You really dont want to mess with different parts in the exhaust, it is just a pain in the ***
The only thing that's different is the mufflers and that will be just fine. I've done exhaust where everything was from a different company and I've never had any problems.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:40 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

you can do whatever you please, it is your car, but I have played the exhaust game with my car, and it isnt a fun/cheap one. I had a lot of issues with the JBA H pipes.

if it werent for me being buddies with the guys at the shop I go to, I would have had to pay at least 800 in labor just to make the exhaust fit with perfection (not for the initial install or parts). if you dont care about rattles and little offsets on the tips, you will be fine, but if you are like me, it is best to just go with one system from the beginning. dont expect just any old GT mufflers to just fit right onto the JBA pipes, trust me, it is a pain in the ***
Old 12-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

thats the absolute first bad thing i've ever heard about the JBA system pipes..its possible you just had bad luck
Old 12-15-2007, 05:13 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallout

thats the absolute first bad thing i've ever heard about the JBA system pipes..its possible you just had bad luck
you for sure have not asked around about the H pipes. quite a lot of people have had issues with them. it is either one of the two things:

1) the pipes will come too close to the spare wheel well and will knock against them when you make hard turns
2) the pipes are too long and will make the tips stick out too much

there are also a lot of smaller issues, especially with the exhaust hangers.

also, it seems that their system works pretty flawlessly with their mufflers, but as soon as you add other brand mufflers you will have a bad time. for me, I had a small vibration issue with the system when I first got it. I went back and they bent the pipes and fixed it. Then I decided to add Corsas (top quality for sure) and it turned out that the pipes were crooked, but the mufflers fit. In order to make the Corsas fit, we had to bend the pipes again, and bend the hangers a bit. Then one of the hangers broke so I had to go get some from ford ($100) to replace them. Finally, they are fitting well...

Apparently it is only a problem with the H pipe kits, not the Y pipe kits. I would image the more "hardcore" guys are getting the H kit, and we tend to complain less, so you dont hear about it much. For anybody getting duals, I would only recommend the Stainless Works or FRPP system. The others are just too much of a hassle.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:42 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

Not a big fan of flowmasters. They fall apart pretty fast in my experience. +1 for the stingers.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

95cobby...I need to ask you a question man. In your sig it says gt-sold, cobra-sold and lightning-sold. Why would you go from 3 real nice v8s to a v6 mustang?? It doesnt make any sense.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:10 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07

95cobby...I need to ask you a question man. In your sig it says gt-sold, cobra-sold and lightning-sold. Why would you go from 3 real nice v8s to a v6 mustang?? It doesnt make any sense.
Yes I know.. Well long story short over a period of years.. Sold the 97 GT to get the 95 Cobra, sold the 95 Cobra to get an 03 Cobra but that fell through and I got the 99 Lightning. The L was a 400 horse gas hog so I sold that and got my v6 Mustang. I'm saving for a Shelby Cobra so don't worry my intensions are good.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95cobby

ORIGINAL: Mustang3GT07

Yes I know.. Well long story short over a period of years.. Sold the 97 GT to get the 95 Cobra, sold the 95 Cobra to get an 03 Cobra but that fell through and I got the 99 Lightning. The L was a 400 horse gas hog so I sold that and got my v6 Mustang. I'm saving for a Shelby Cobra so don't worry my intensions are good.
Alright! I just had to ask lol....Well i hope you get that shelby sooner then later. My friend just got a shelby gt and he loves it and my uncle just bought a shelby gt500 and that thing is a beast. So whatever shelby you get you cant go wrong.