Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 V6 pony,2005 GT
Default interesting trivia on the 4.0 Cologne V6;

The 1.7 V4 which was in the Ford Taunus (and some Saabs)in the 60'swas enlarged, two extra cylinders addedto make the 2.8L V6, which became 2.9, then 3.0 before being "punched out" to 4.0L. The OHV engine was adapted to OHC with a balance shaft in place of the cam which runs the OHC's.

Interesting trivia for those who didn't know, the 1.7L V4 was the engine for the original Mustang concept, the mid engine two seater from the early 60's.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
hers; SMR #0951 06 V6 Pony, manual, IUP, BMR springs, adj track bar, center fog grill, louvers, GT wheels, leather int, brakes. True duals. Tri-bar grill emblem. GT500 splitter, FIA/Shelby stripes, smoked signals. FMC hood scoop.

mine; BMC #12073 black on black leather 05 GT. Manual, old school GT badge, tri bar fender emblems, Shaker 1000, Shelby FIA stripes, Steeda stingers, Pro 5.0 shifter, Stangsuspension, J&M lcas, adj uca and track bar. JLT cai and Predator tune.
Ken04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang
Default RE: interesting trivia on the 4.0 Cologne V6;

yeah, i read something of this sort regarding the cologne engine in an article online somewhere before i bought my stang.

06 4.0 S197 :: Auto :: 3.73/T-Lok :: Aluminum D/S :: C&L Intake :: Bama Tuned
JBA H-Pipe Dual Exhaust :: JBA Shorty Headers :: GT Anti-Sway Bars w/ Poly Bushings
Sancho805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang GT
acascianelli

I always thought the fact that the 4.0 is a truck engine was funny.
Steeda Billet CMDP
Hurst Short Throw
C&L Racer Intake
Switchblade Key
5 Speed Manual
UMI Rear LCA's
3.55 Rear Axle
SCT Livewire
Steeda UDP
acascianelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang GT
acascianelli

and...the 4.0 Cologne motor used in the Land Rover LR3 has 216hp and 269lbft.
Steeda Billet CMDP
Hurst Short Throw
C&L Racer Intake
Switchblade Key
5 Speed Manual
UMI Rear LCA's
3.55 Rear Axle
SCT Livewire
Steeda UDP
acascianelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 V6 Pony Package
Send a message via AIM to VictoriaRR

It's cool that the Mustang has a truck motor. But hey, it's a Mustang and we can't be running around with a Focus engine, now can we?

I think I read the GT shares its engine with some F-series trucks.

2006 Mustang V6 Pony Package
GT Hood Scoop
Roush Quarter Window Louvers
SHR Honeycomb Panel
Moss Muscle Black Tail Light Bezels
WebElectric Sequential Tail Lights
MRT AeroTurbine Exhaust
K&N Filter
VictoriaRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
optras
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to optras

Quote:
ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

It's cool that the Mustang has a truck motor. But hey, it's a Mustang and we can't be running around with a Focus engine, now can we?

Thought it was the Explorers. I had a '99 F-150 with a 4.2L V6. Still not as much power as these, I know it has more weight on it, but it feels SOOO much more laggy. It doesn't feel like it can handle the stress that these can either, at WOT the engine shakes violently in the truck like it's going to rip itself apart. These are great engines-I've even had Chevy guys say they thought they were a hell of an engine for their size and that's saying something in the heart of Pennsyltucky.

True duals with H-Pipe and GT mufflers, C&L Intake, Bama 93 Race, 25% Tint
optras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 V6 pony,2005 GT

Quote:

the 4.6 liter V8 was in some earlier F and E series Ford trucks including the Expedition. It was always a 2V with a cast iron block.

The 4.0 V6 was originally a car engine in it's early forms, adapted to some Ford trucks later. It would be tough to see the family resemblance now, 40+ years later from it's original V4 form. But I do remember seeing the concept Mustang in the early 60's. It was a mid engined V4. Nothing like the front engined, rear drive model that debuted in 64 1/2. Ford took the Falcon, gussied it up, made it sexy and dropped the Falcon's 260 V8 and straight 6into the earliest models. But the Cologne/Essexengine didn't re-appear in a Mustang til 2005 40-some years later.
hers; SMR #0951 06 V6 Pony, manual, IUP, BMR springs, adj track bar, center fog grill, louvers, GT wheels, leather int, brakes. True duals. Tri-bar grill emblem. GT500 splitter, FIA/Shelby stripes, smoked signals. FMC hood scoop.

mine; BMC #12073 black on black leather 05 GT. Manual, old school GT badge, tri bar fender emblems, Shaker 1000, Shelby FIA stripes, Steeda stingers, Pro 5.0 shifter, Stangsuspension, J&M lcas, adj uca and track bar. JLT cai and Predator tune.
Ken04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ken04

Quote:

the 4.6 liter V8 was in some earlier F and E series Ford trucks including the Expedition. It was always a 2V with a cast iron block.

The 4.0 V6 was originally a car engine in it's early forms, adapted to some Ford trucks later. It would be tough to see the family resemblance now, 40+ years later from it's original V4 form. But I do remember seeing the concept Mustang in the early 60's. It was a mid engined V4. Nothing like the front engined, rear drive model that debuted in 64 1/2. Ford took the Falcon, gussied it up, made it sexy and dropped the Falcon's 260 V8 and straight 6into the earliest models. But the Cologne/Essexengine didn't re-appear in a Mustang til 2005 40-some years later.
didnt it get used in truck/suv's because of its strong torq output?

06 4.0 S197 :: Auto :: 3.73/T-Lok :: Aluminum D/S :: C&L Intake :: Bama Tuned
JBA H-Pipe Dual Exhaust :: JBA Shorty Headers :: GT Anti-Sway Bars w/ Poly Bushings
Sancho805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

yes. A slightly different version of the 4.0L was used in the Ranger and in the Explorer not sure if they still use it though

Kentucky Racing !!!!!!
elroyjetson_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 PM   #10
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

There is a very interesing article on the Cologne V6 at wikipedia.com. I don' believe the Cologne was ever offered in a 3.0, that would be the Vulcan or Duratec. I think the 4.0 SOHC 'truck engine'is actually a good mate for the Mustang as it makes decent low end torque. It will be interesting to seehow the 3.5 DOHC performs in future Stangs. I think the 4.6 V6 got its start in the '91 Town Car and '92 Crown Vic.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
40, cologne, dimensions, engine, ford, liter, louvers, lr3, mit, mustang, parts, performance, rebuilding, taunus, truck, v6