Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Electric Throttle Control Light On?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM
skylinezero

Default Electric Throttle Control Light On?

Hey guys, any responses to this will really help.

V6 Black Mustang, 61000 KMs, No mods (bone stock) (am a new member, so hi to all)

Okay, what happened recently, I commute to work about an hour, to and from everyday. Anyway, recently, my car would be going steadly be going about 120 KM/H then the car will kind of hiccup and just continue going. This happens at least twice during one of my trips. Also, sometimes, the ETC light will come on and the car will of course go to limp home mode and of course turning it off then back on, clears the light and am sure the code is stored in the ECM.

My question is, what could possibly cause this? i know its not a straight forward answer since its best to check the code (which i cant, i gotta get a stealership to check). I recently had my throttle body cleaned because i thought that was the problem, but the problem still exists. Could this possibly be a fuel issue? pump or perhaps filter?

Thanks alot!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Electric Throttle Control Light On?

ORIGINAL: skylinezero

V6 Black Mustang, 61000 KMs, No mods (bone stock) (am a new member, so hi to all)

Okay, what happened recently, I commute to work about an hour, to and from everyday. Anyway, recently, my car would be going steadly be going about 120 KM/H then the car will kind of hiccup and just continue going. This happens at least twice during one of my trips. Also, sometimes, the ETC light will come on and the car will of course go to limp home mode and of course turning it off then back on, clears the light and am sure the code is stored in the ECM.

My question is, what could possibly cause this? i know its not a straight forward answer since its best to check the code (which i cant, i gotta get a stealership to check). I recently had my throttle body cleaned because i thought that was the problem, but the problem still exists. Could this possibly be a fuel issue? pump or perhaps filter?

Thanks alot!
fuel pump, you need to get it to a dealer so they can warranty it. Air bubbles build up inside (basically) causing a hiccup. There's a TSB on this.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken04

Thanks alot!
fuel pump, you need to get it to a dealer so they can warranty it. Air bubbles build up inside (basically) causing a hiccup. There's a TSB on this.
The TSB you refers to would not address this... it hiccups and throws a wrench light while he is cruising... the air bubble problem cause hesitation when you try to take off after you stop, after a long cruise...

OP problem is probably the throttle position sensor. Double check the wiring harness... make sure everything is snug... might want to even unplug and plug back in.. The TP sensor is located on the drivers side of the Throttle Body... If you were getting codes the Check Engine Light would come on...

If it continues to get worse, best bet might be to look at replace the throttle body... a new stock TB comes with a new TP sensor already installed on it...

Any chance the car is still under warranty? Most likey they won't do anything until they can replicate it or it starts throwing codes...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
skylinezero

Unfortunetly the ford warranty is done (3 yrs/60K) BUT the dealership i bought it from, i got some extended warranty (only thing is i have to pay a $100 deductiable)

Other than that am pretty stumped, the hiccuping is annoying lol
Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
StickDriver
1st Gear Member

MY car had those symptoms at about 7K miles. It was the throttle body. The dealer replaced it no problems since.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:54 PM
skylinezero

ORIGINAL: StickDriver

MY car had those symptoms at about 7K miles. It was the throttle body. The dealer replaced it no problems since.
You think so? I took it to the dealership before regarding this and they said it wasn't the throttle body (they cleaned it up for me), they were certain cleaning it would fix it, apparently not. *sigh* what a pain in the ***! i miss my pony lol
Old 01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
dynestegold

If you have an advanced auto parts store near you, they will check the code for free. It's saved me tons of $85 dollar charges to pull the codes at the dealership...
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If you took it to the dealership for this problem while it was under warrantee and their "solution" did not fix the problem... they should fix it the right way this time.

ORIGINAL: StickDriver

You think so? I took it to the dealership before regarding this and they said it wasn't the throttle body (they cleaned it up for me), they were certain cleaning it would fix it, apparently not. *sigh* what a pain in the ***! i miss my pony lol
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
bhaz413
1st Gear Member

I my self have gotten this problem today. I own a 05 v6 w/ 55k miles on it. Recently my fuel gauage stoped worked. So they replaced the fuel sending unit in the tank. I take the car home today, let it sit for 4 hours, get back into the car and it died 4 times before I left the driveway. The check engine light came on and the wrench light came on, causing it to go into limp mode.

The wrench light went off but the cel is still on. From what I can tell, the throttle body needs to be replaced and or sensor (according to the number of post's with the same issue).

I refuse to drive the car right now, until the dealer can fix the problem. But my question is, how hard is it to replace a throttle body on the v6 or the sensor? If I do replace it, do I have to do anything with the computer? How much does it usually cost for parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 AM
besam
2nd Gear Member

i thought you couldnt clean a throttle body without damaging it?

Quick Reply: Electric Throttle Control Light On?