Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI Question

I just installed an CnL CAI and flashed in a Bamma tune. 91 torque. The whole process took me 30 minutes MAX. Its fool proof. I cant tell you if only the CAI would have made a diff over stock but I can tell you that the intake/chip combo is awsome. We got 4 inches of snow the day I did it so the only thing I noticed was that no longer did I have that throttle lag. Today was cold but the roads have dried out so I got into it a few times. With the TC turned off I was at redline in a heartbeat, pulled hard I tell ya. The 91 torque is the tamest of the 3 customs I got and cant wait for spring.

Everything I have ever read says that you should get your car a custom tune if you spend the money on a CAI.
Worth every penny
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Favre4TD

I just installed an CnL CAI and flashed in a Bamma tune. 91 torque. The whole process took me 30 minutes MAX. Its fool proof. I cant tell you if only the CAI would have made a diff over stock but I can tell you that the intake/chip combo is awsome. We got 4 inches of snow the day I did it so the only thing I noticed was that no longer did I have that throttle lag. Today was cold but the roads have dried out so I got into it a few times. With the TC turned off I was at redline in a heartbeat, pulled hard I tell ya. The 91 torque is the tamest of the 3 customs I got and cant wait for spring.

Everything I have ever read says that you should get your car a custom tune if you spend the money on a CAI.
Worth every penny
Another one converted. Whether 4.0 or 4.6, the CAI/Tune combo just wakes up the car. It's incredible how de-tuned for low octane these cars are when leaving the factory. The 4.0s is even more ciminal with that restrictive muffler.

Favre- welcome to the land of the converted
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

stock tune with cai will help a bit but a custom tune with cai will take FULL advantage of the increased airflow.

think of it like this:
patriots were a solid team. tom brady steps in and its a very good team. add randy moss and now those bastards are 18-0 [:@]. maybe not the best analogy but maybe you get the picture.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Another one converted. Whether 4.0 or 4.6, the CAI/Tune combo just wakes up the car. It's incredible how de-tuned for low octane these cars are when leaving the factory. The 4.0s is even more ciminal with that restrictive muffler.

Favre- welcome to the land of the converted
thanks,, first thing I did was put on a FRPP muffler.
the only downside is that any MPG gains I get from the tuneare used up by me having my foot in it all the time cuz it sounds so damn good.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1.....theoretically, your car is more gas efficient.......realistically, you'll end up burning MORE gas. go figure[8D].
Old 01-25-2008, 01:21 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well I just the tune sounds great but I just want to know how. That one person on here gets that a intake makes you car run to lean. I am calling BS on that cause I makes no sense what so ever.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

Well I just the tune sounds great but I just want to know how. That one person on here gets that a intake makes you car run to lean. I am calling BS on that cause I makes no sense what so ever.
I'll tackle this-

Your MAF sensor can only measure one thing, air velocity. Based on the readouts from the MAF, your cars computer calculates thevolume of air that is comming into the engine. Based on that calculation, you computer can make the appropriate adjustments to make the correct air/fuel ratio.

Your cars computer makes these calculations based on two things:

1. The velocity of the incomming air(as read by the MAF)
2. The Size of the inlet tube

Most aftermarket intakes have a larger inner diameter at the location of the MAF housingthan your stock airbox.

think about it this way. Try and suck water through a coffee stirrer, then take a full size straw and do the same thing. Even though the water may be moving through each straw at the same speed, the full size straw will move more water.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

ORIGINAL: BWfVA

I'll tackle this-

Your MAF sensor can only measure one thing, air velocity. Based on the readouts from the MAF, your cars computer calculates thevolume of air that is comming into the engine. Based on that calculation, you computer can make the appropriate adjustments to make the correct air/fuel ratio.

Your cars computer makes these calculations based on two things:

1. The velocity of the incomming air(as read by the MAF)
2. The Size of the inlet tube

Most aftermarket intakes have a MAF housing that has a larger inner diameter than your stock airbox.

think about it this way. Try and suck water through a coffee stirrer, then take a full size straw and do the same thing. Even though the water may be moving through each straw at the same speed, the full size straw will move more water.
correction: most aftermarket intakes use stock/factory size MAF housing. easier to sell the product. everything else you said is dead on. also, good job on the analogy . i always try to think of analogies myself to make things easier to understand for others .
Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Whoops! I edited my post to what I meant to say []

Thanks for catching that.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

Isnt my CnL MAF housinglarger than stock? I cant remember and threw the stock crap out

Quick Reply: CAI Question