Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

F/I recomendations.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default F/I recomendations.

I'm looking to get a S/C in the next 2 months after a few pre-mods like gears/T-loc, driveshaft replacement, a FRPP duals. My car is my daily driver, and I have no track aspirations. I want it to hit around 270-280 RWHP on 17" wheels. Money isn't an issue. What system is best for me? I want to know the differences between intercooled, non-intercooled, S/C, X/C systems.....

I'm leaning towards the Explorer Express S/C for the ease of install .....and I already have a tuner.

see sig for planned mods....
Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: F/I recomendations.

What is an X/C? If you mean X charger, it is not in a different class from superchargers, it is also a supercharger. If money is not an issue, the best thing for the car is to get a turbo and set it at 5 psi. Easiest on the car. The superchargers require the car to spin blower, which sucks power. In order to get more power, you gotta spin the blower harder. The turbo doesnt use the engine. At 10psi on the X you may see 270-280, at 6psi on the turbo you will easily see that number.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Full Throttle
2nd Gear Member

+ 1 on the X-Charger

From what I heard it will get you in the horse power range you want with no problems (especially w/ mods you'll get). Its perhaps the easiest to install and there is an intercooler coming for it as well. Can't go wrong with the X-Charger IMO.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Do you intend to go to the track and chase 1/10th's ?? If not, if you are looking for streetability, the XCHarger HiPo will get you to 260-270. But HP is really not the issue. Torque is what you feel, and the XCharger generates awesome torque down low.

Check out the torque shelf at the link below. 280+ lb-ft at the rear wheels at under 3000 RPM is what you will feel during street use.

Don't worry about the note above that talks about the engine having to spin the blower. When you are not under boost, the bypass valve opens and the power it takes to spin the blower is like 1 HP. Nothing. Turbos have a drag as well as they add backpressure, which eats some power. But in both cases, when under boost, both the turbo and supercharger make so much extra power that a few HP for compressing is nothing to think about.

Also noted above, it is incorrect that you will only get 270 HP at 10 psi. Many have gotten 270 at rear wheels with 7-8 PSI.

A turbo is also great, and if money is not object, consider a turbo. They give max power and good low end torque as well, and are a better choice if you are going to become a track junkie, constantly adding boost and N2O till you blow your engine.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/images/dynochart_HP+.pdf
Old 02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Don't worry about the note above that talks about the engine having to spin the blower. When you are not under boost, the bypass valve opens and the power it takes to spin the blower is like 1 HP.
Also noted above, it is incorrect that you will only get 270 HP at 10 psi. Many have gotten 270 at rear wheels with 7-8 PSI.
I thought it still spins off the engine, but boost goes through the bpv instead of into the engine? That's what the bpv is for right?

w/the 270rwhp, he won't hit it on the cali-spec x unless he's a manual and gets lucky dyno #'s/ If it's the hi-po kit, then he should hit 270rwhp w/the mods he's saying.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

It does, and eats about 1 HP to spin it with the bypass valve open... there is no compression with the valve open, so it takes virtually no power to spin the unloaded scrolls in the eaton.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

My FI reccomendation is to PM actual members with FI and ask their opinions individually. Too many many people who "think" they know what they're talking about.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:14 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

with your goals, you will be best off with a HiPo Xcharger. you can install it yourself, get the power you want, and have an OE fit and finish
Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I was kinda foggy on the whole S/C, X/C terminology.....I think I misunderstood that S/C and X/C were the same thing? I get the feeling the X/C is a specific brand of Supercharger? I'm currently leaning towars the S/C kit from Explore Express with tunes from Doug. I got my C/L CAI and tunes from him and couldn't be happier. I'm planning pre-mods before I get a this S/C kit. (see sig) I realize this post could easily turn into a flame war on how to hit 270 RWHP. I want 270 RWHP, (no turbo BLOW-OFF valve noise).... No track aspirations. I want a S/C-demon-howling-when-I-get-on-the throttle-whinning noise......daily driver. I want a sleeper........for as long as I can keep my foot out of it.......
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Yup, the X charger is one of the various kind of superchargers out there, made by Explorer Express.
With your goals, the X sounds good. Especially if you want to install it yourself. Without the attempt to start an argument, you may want to check out the standard Vortech system, also a very good system for the same horsepower goals. I had it for a few months and I was very very happy with it. If you are concerned with sound, the X will give a nice whine, and the Vortech will give more of a jet noise (hard to explain). Both sound good IMO, just depends on what you like better.

Gears:
If you go with the X, and have no track aspirations, you may want to stick to the stock gear ratio. The gears would be okay with the Vortech because it takes a few more RPMs to get into boost. However, I personally would leave the gears alone (as I did) with either of them.

T-lok:
Definitely you want this!

Driveshaft:
Not really necessary, but nice to have. It really only comes into large use at speeds excess of 120mph, which are only reached on the dyno. It is still great for every day driving and track racing, but not a "must have". The best DS for the car is the 3.5" one made by Shaftmasters.

FRPP duals:
Very good mod. They apparently sounds very good. Also, f/i + duals is a good thing, I felt a really big difference when I went from single to duals with my supercharger.

Shorties:
Not really necessary. They give a few ponies. IMO, they are not really worth it, but if you are willing to spend the cash then why not? I heard that BBK is coming out with shorties for our cars soon, which will be much better priced. I am hanging tight for those. Right now, the only ones worth buying are the JBAs and they aint cheap. If you want the shorties for the extra power, you are better off getting a TB instead.

Quick Reply: F/I recomendations.