Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What exactly is "throttle lag"???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What exactly is "throttle lag"???

Throttle lag is the experience of punching the gas and you feel like it's taking a bit of time to respond to how fast you want/think it should go. This isn't as common from a stop but more from a roll. Say you're going 60mph on the freeway and you want to speed up FAST to change lanes. You punch it expecting to fly by...but you don't. It takes a bit to respond. This is why our V6 has a disadvantage of "racing" from a roll with some cars. Our advantage is at a stop. CAI / tune WILL fix this problem a great deal!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 AM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Throttle lag is the experience of punching the gas and you feel like it's taking a bit of time to respond to how fast you want/think it should go. This isn't as common from a stop but more from a roll. Say you're going 60mph on the freeway and you want to speed up FAST to change lanes. You punch it expecting to fly by...but you don't. It takes a bit to respond. This is why our V6 has a disadvantage of "racing" from a roll with some cars. Our advantage is at a stop. CAI / tune WILL fix this problem a great deal!
Agreed, even after a tune, there are times where it feels like you're in 5th, you floor it, and it takes up to 2 seconds for the car to decide that it wants to downshift to 4th then 3rd. During that time, the car does absolutely nothing whatsoever. once it finally does it though, it takes off. Disadvantage of an auto.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Imagine what happens when you finally adjust your driving habits to the lag,Then you get a tune that removes it and start laying rubber every time you take off.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frankmarino

Agreed, even after a tune, there are times where it feels like you're in 5th, you floor it, and it takes up to 2 seconds for the car to decide that it wants to downshift to 4th then 3rd. During that time, the car does absolutely nothing whatsoever. once it finally does it though, it takes off. Disadvantage of an auto.
Try pushing your O/D button, that takes away 5th gear so it's one less gear for the tranny to downshift through.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Advantage of an auto ---- consistant 1/4 mile and 0-60 times :P and no having the delay or sluggishness of a human driver that doesn't have experience withmanualmuch. lmao

I don't know if it screwsmuch of anything up, but when I am in the countryside andI need to pass a big 2 section semi w/ trailers, I pop the thing into 2nd gear from drive (it doesn't take but1/4 of a second for it to kick in).I'm gone, passed and aroundhim in no time. Not really anyhesitation.Just because it's an auto, doesn't mean it doesn't have gearsyou know... However,I was so used to the instant kick of a manual when you downshift that a changefrommanual to auto was a learning process. I sometimes even get on it and shift through 1-2-3-D. You have to time the shifting correctly because there is STILL a slight hesitation but it's not big compared to a manual shifting 1-2-3-4. Especially around 2-3 I think. I'm talking about an average driver shifting, not a god.

If you havethe automatic v6 mustang, itis going to be so damnsluggish when you try and get on it right away. I noticed aftermy intake/SCT/new exhaust were on the car all together, it made a huge performance jump in throttle response time and get up and go. Not much of anything to a delay. Get a tuner and intake...big grins will follow :P

Quick note about the tune also is that when you stepped on it to get around cars sometimes, even though it "COULD" switch to say... 2nd gear, it would switch to 3rd gear instead (more economical gear???). Or when you take off from a stop midway into the gas, it simply says "oh lets see how fast it can get going in 4th gear from a dead stop..." This would also be another reason i'd say to get a tune. It's like the computer isan oldgrandma that likes to drive in the left lane @ 45mph.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Is throttle lag specific to the automatics only, or is there a problem with the manuals as well ?

I don't think I notice throttle lag as described here, but on takeoff from deadstart the manual occassionally bucks or stalls. Doesnt feel right, my '99 Ranger with 3.0 and manual took off much easier and smootherfrom dead stop. It did have 3.73's which might of helped,but it was 4x4 with bigger/taller tires. Does seem like the manual mustang is much touchier on the clutch.

I am thinking of getting87 mileage, 87 performance and probably a 91 performance or mileage tunefrom VMP.

Will the VMP tunes help with takeoff on the manual ? I am not talking a hard takeoff, but gentle like in stop and go traffic.

How about gas mileage and performance ?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

My car is a manual. I experienced this before my CAI and tune. Now it's a thing of the past pretty much
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Slacker584

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

T
Pretty much. I first noticed it on my car when I was at a stop sign about to merge onto a highway. I had just gotten the car a few weeks prior and just completed my 1,000 mile "easy driving break-in period" and floored it from a dead stop to see what kind of giddy up the car had. Well, it took about 1.5 - 2 seconds for me to get any kind of reaction out of my Pony. So, in that situation, throttle lag is evident.

I can't say for sure that a CAI and tune fix it since I have not installed those yet, but every forum member has said so, and they're all a bunch of great guys so I have no reason to believe otherwise.
I read various sections of this site and this is the first time I've actually seen anyone enumerate the length of time of the lag. Are you guys exagerating or is it really that bad? If it is, I can't imagine driving an auto without getting it tuned. Wow, it is a safety issue
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 PM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

I need a cai and tune myself but welcome to domestics ex-importer
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 AM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slacker584

ORIGINAL: frankmarino

Try pushing your O/D button, that takes away 5th gear so it's one less gear for the tranny to downshift through.
Yeah, I do that sometimes and it does help a lot. I'd really like to get that new ratchet shifter if it didn't have a ridiculous pricetag. It would be a regular practice for me to throw it into 3rd from drive, except that its so easy to get caught between gears. theres no firm click or any kind of real feedback on each gear selection so i have to actually look at the shifter while I'm doing it