Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What exactly is "throttle lag"???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default What exactly is "throttle lag"???

I've read a lot on this forum about the infamous "throttle lag." Mostly it's been about tunes and how they get rid of it, or some other trick to stopit. I just want some clarification on what exactly that is, and how people define it. I have yet to find a definition somewhere here, so I'm just looking for someone to explain it to me.

Here's my background: I've had my '07 V6 for about two months now, and before that I drove a '99 Honda Civic LX. Anyway, as you can tell, theSixer is a tremendous upgrade for me, and one I'm thankful for making everyday. Anything I get from her, in terms of horsepower, speed, and acceleration, is better than anything I got from the Civic. So, all I know is that I go a lotfaster now than I used to. In my honestopinion, the throttle response from my stock V6 is more than adequate, and I can't really feel any "lag." Which is why I'm asking the question.

I guess if it's something I don't really notice, I'm not going to worry about it too much. But since I've seen so many talk about it, I just want someclarification. Thanks...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What exactly is "throttle lag"???

Throttle lag? The amount of time you'll be beat by your competition. Believe it or not, the factory boys build this into your stock computer program. Who the hell knows why. Solution - a CAI system and after market tune. What a difference.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

Throttle lag? The amount of time you'll be beat by your competition. Believe it or not, the factory boys build this into your stock computer program. Who the hell knows why. Solution - a CAI system and after market tune. What a difference.
Is it just the response time from when you step on the gas and the throttle responds to it?...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

ORIGINAL: jwilhelm

Is it just the response time from when you step on the gas and the throttle responds to it?...
Pretty much. I first noticed it on my car when I was at a stop sign about to merge onto a highway. I had just gotten the car a few weeks prior and just completed my 1,000 mile "easy driving break-in period" and floored it from a dead stop to see what kind of giddy up the car had. Well, it took about 1.5 - 2 seconds for me to get any kind of reaction out of my Pony. So, in that situation, throttle lag is evident.

I can't say for sure that a CAI and tune fix it since I have not installed those yet, but every forum member has said so, and they're all a bunch of great guys so I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

yes
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM
JimC

I noticed it on the expressway trying to change lanes quickly. I was stopped in the far left lane, and wanted to get over quickly into an opening in the middle lane. Hit the gas .................................................. .................................................. .................
.................................................. .................................................. ..................
and then the car took off finally. I thought I was going to be rear ended.

My wife took the Mustang out once and when she came back she said "can you do anything about that hesitation". Took it to the tuner (Lidio at Alternative Auto), put the C&L CAI on and his tune for 89 octane. No hesitation. Hit the gas and the car goes right away.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

On the highway, throttle lag is EXTREMELY dangerous. Get a CAI/tune asap as you get a Mustang.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Throttle lag can only truly be understood when you drive a V6 that no longer has it.... one with a tune. Then you'll go, "Oh, I understand now....".
Old 03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Throttle lag can only truly be understood when you drive a V6 that no longer has it.... one with a tune. Then you'll go, "Oh, I understand now....".
Good point... I think it's hard for me to understand what everyone is talking about because I don't have any point of comparison. Like I said, my stock V6 seems fine, and I'm certainly not complaining, especially afters years of driving my Civic. But I guess because I've never driven a Mustang with a tune and less throttle lag, I don't really feel any noticable lag. So, does that mean I can borrow your car for a test drive, LX200?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 PM
AmeNameSo

I almost got rear ended myself because of this lag/hesitation. Ever since I converted to dual exhaust, the lag is almost completely gone. I am still considering a tuner.

Quick Reply: What exactly is "throttle lag"???