Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Simple mods to increase mpg on v6

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Simple mods to increase mpg on v6

ORIGINAL: tdaddy

imo ide326 and jwilhelm are both trolls
ide326: who would make a sig like that with the words impregnater? not to metion posts like this
don't get me started on jwilhelm...1005hp my ***
Thanks for the link - that post is gone. As a n00b, ide326 is being watched as a possible troll. jwilhelm does not meet the definition of a troll. We are all of a diverse background, and take on our own persona when online. We are not all gonna get along with each other 100% of the time, but as long as the rules are obeyed, then things will be fine.

Can we bring this thread back to the original topic?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:06 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

awwww why do you gotta take all the funoutta here hopup?

as far as gas mileage goes...
stock i was getting around 17mpg in tampa city driving.. (kinda like DC)
highway was about 20ish

i put a CAI without a tune and put on dual exhaust -
now i'm getting 19-20 city and 25-26 highway

and that info about inflating ur tires is risky. you should inflate the tires to what the CAR recommends. not what the max PSI of the tire is. the info is on the drivers side door jam. if you inflate ur tires to say 60 psi your car will handle differently and your whole ride will change and wear abnormally.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
ide326

Wow kdrshocker, your ride is lookin nice... What percantage tint is that??
Old 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Pretend like there is a fresh egg under your gas pedal
and drive like you are trying not to break it.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker
and that info about inflating ur tires is risky. you should inflate the tires to what the CAR recommends. not what the max PSI of the tire is. the info is on the drivers side door jam. if you inflate ur tires to say 60 psi your car will handle differently and your whole ride will change and wear abnormally.
Well I've never been called dumber than a sticker before! So exactly how does that sticker know what tire is installed and what its specs are anyway?? The sticker is just based on the recomended stock spec tires, which in reality is going to be the same or close to what ever tire is installed (short of a race type tire, or the space saver). And you are correct the tire pressure will affect the feel & handeling of the car. higher pressure = harsher ride, lower pressure = more comfortable ride. 60 psi = a chinese pressure guage + no common sense
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: jimkaray

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

Well I've never been called dumber than a sticker before! So exactly how does that sticker know what tire is installed and what its specs are anyway?? The sticker is just based on the recomended stock spec tires, which in reality is going to be the same or close to what ever tire is installed (short of a race type tire, or the space saver). And you are correct the tire pressure will affect the feel & handeling of the car. higher pressure = harsher ride, lower pressure = more comfortable ride. 60 psi = a chinese pressure guage + no common sense
+1
sticker PSI is for OEM tires or similar
It depends on the vehicle weight,
load range and max PSIfor the tire
currently being used
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
ide326

feed that dog of yours a raw egg each morning and youll put years on its life. + more energy.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

I hope that's not your car in your sig... and if it is then you should think about taking the bus and not worrying about gas mileage...
Old 04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

ide326 - tint is 20% all the way around. and thanks for thecomment. - about the tire issue; i think the zeros that came stock on the car say max PSI of 55, i think... too lazy to go out to the car and check. the car says 35 or 32... yet again, lazy
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
ide326

The Bottom Line A few slight modifications can make a huge difference.

Have a vehicle that just doesn't have enough oomph or gets poor fuel economy, but you don't want to strap up a 100 shot of NOS to your Ford Taurus or trade in that gas hog for a Geo Metro? The following are some relatively cheap and simple modifications for the driver who wants a quicker vehicle, better fuel economy, and an automobile that will operate with less fuss.

Air Filters:

The simplest modification that usually will help with acceleration is ditching your stock air filter and going with a high flow air filter. Almost any car will benefit from this type of air filter, such as a filter from the K&N Company. This is also probably the cheapest modification you can do to your car. Many high flow air filters claim to add up to 20 more horses. I doubt most cars will see an increase of 20 horsepower when just adding a high flow air filter, though using a product such as K&N will most likely improve throttle response. Fuel economy and smoothness of your vehicle's engine should also be improved versus using your run of the mill paper or foam filter. Most high flow air filters should run between 30 and 60 dollars. One should note that using any high performance filter in your vehicle will not void your vehicle's warranty according to law.

Cold Air Intake:

Installing a cold air intake is also a very simple and cheap (in many cases) modification that is useful on most vehicles and can range anywhere from $50-$350. A cold air intake system helps cool the air to your combustion chamber, resulting in more power and in some cases better fuel economy. I use an Iceman cold air intake and it works wonderfully adding both power and increased fuel numbers.

Performance Exhaust :

Poor exhaust systems are a big problem many autos are plagued with. This can result in stalling, poor acceleration, poor fuel economy, etc. Many emission strict cars, especially cars from the late '70s and '80s have exhaust systems that substantially restrict air flow, therefore decreasing horsepower and in many cases causing unnecessary engine wear do to severe engine back pressure. Switching to a high performance exhaust, including a free flowing catalytic converter is not just a good idea if you have a sports car, but is also a good idea if you want a smoother ride, quicker throttle response, and better fuel economy; no matter what type of vehicle you drive. All exhaust systems are different (such as their sound effects), so make sure you have one installed that suits your needs. Replacing the catalytic converter and muffler should not cost over $400 in most cases (I paid a total of 230 dollars for both parts and installation for my DC Sports exhaust system.

Upgraded Fuel Injection

Many vehicles will also benefit in acceleration, fuel economy, and better derivability if the fuel injection system is upgraded. I have upgraded to a Bosch fuel injection system and have noticed a substantial increase in fuel economy (an increase in 2 mpg). I have also noticed a major increase in acceleration, probably the most effective aftermarket modification I have had performed on my engine. Adding an aftermarket fuel injection system may void your manufacturer's warranty, so make sure you check with your warranty regulations before you perform/have someone perform this procedure.

Timing

Advancing your ignition timing beyond the manufacturer's specs is a modification I do not recommend, however many people I have talked to claim that advancing their timing has increased performance dramatically. I add this engine modification to my write-up because of the rave reviews this simple procedure has received, especially among Ford Taurus owners. Make sure you check with a professional auto tech before doing this. This procedure usually takes about 5 minutes, depending of course on your engine. If you do this to your engine, there is a chance your engine will require a higher grade of gasoline.

Performance Cams:

Performance cams are a little bit harder to install than most of the items I have listed, however they can add a substantial amount of horsepower without sacrificing fuel economy. When I had my Dodge Neon, I had an after market cam put in and it gave me more power than all of the other mods combined. A good cam also allows your other modifications to work better. If you are not sure about what cam you can go with, talk to your dealer.

Performance Tires

Aside from engine modifications, the tires you use also effect the way your car behaves. Tall tires will most likely give you a smoother ride versus going with a low profile tire. However, if you want better grip, better composure on twisty roads, going with a relatively low profile wide performance tire will give you a more sporting driving experience (this of course is subject to the type of vehicle you own). I use P195/55R/15s on my Storm and have experienced a noticeable improvement in the handling department versus my stock tires (P185/65R/14s). When going with a very low profile tire, such as a 35-45 series tire, you are most likely going to feel much more of the pavement, so be prepared to sacrifice some comfort if you are going to go the very low profile route. Cost is also an issue here. A low profile performance tire is usually going to cost a good 40%-50% more than your standard tire.

Simple procedures you can do to make your can run better:

Switch to a high quality synthetic oil ,i.e. Mobil 1 and a high quality oil filter.

Use a high quality fuel injector cleaner every month.

Use high quality spark plugs.

Buy gas which contains anti carbon build-up agents.

Final Thoughts:

There are a million and one simple modifications and procedures you can do to your vehicle to improve its overall performance; whether it be increasing horsepower, increasing fuel economy, or simply giving your car an attitude adjustment. There are also a million and one major modifications you can do to your car to increase power dramatically, i.e. using a turbocharger, so check out some other reviews in this category. I recommend most of the modifications listed above for those looking for better fuel economy (I have increased my fuel economy by 30%), a modest increase in power, and an overall smoother ride.

Want some tips on how to get better fuel economy?
Read my review.

-Happy modifying

Quick Reply: Simple mods to increase mpg on v6