Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X Pipe vs. H Pipe (my review)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:01 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default X Pipe vs. H Pipe (my review)

I've had the (expensive) pleasure of having both an X pipe and an H pipe on my 2006 V6 within the last week and a half, so I thought I'd write a short review and clear up any uncertainly for those of you trying to decide on a dual exhaust.

Car is a completely (performance-wise) stock 2006 4.0
X pipe made by FRPP
H pipe made by JBA
Borla Stinger (straight-through) mufflers

When I mention the Y pipe, I'm comparing this to my pre-dual setup, which was a single Flowmaster AT axleback. I don't really remember what the car felt/sounded like with the stock muffler on it, so my comparisons to "stock" are assuming you have some kind of single aftermarket muffler.

I had the H pipe and Stingers on for about a week, and due to some fitment issues decided to change over to the X pipe with Stingers.

So:

Sound: H pipe is definitely nicer sounding. It's got somewhat of a deep growl to it, very aggressive muscular sound, and quite loud. The X pipe, in my opinion, sounds very similar to the stock Y, but louder. The tone doesn't change very much, just the volume. The H pipe, on the other hand, changes the tone of the sound quite a bit. However, I did notice that with the H pipe, there was a bit of popping (backfiring, I suppose) when I let off the throttle during slow shifts. The X pipe does not do this as much.

Performance: Despite what many on here have said, there is a difference in performance. With the H pipe, my car seemed to be a bit slower off the line, which I assume is due to a slight drop in torque. It's nothing major, but it is noticable. This might have been magnified by the fact that my mufflers are straight-through rather than chambered style, but it was certainly present. With the X pipe, there is no similar feeling of lag when you're launching with your car. It doesn't feel any faster to launch or drive than with the stock Y pipe (and aftermarket muffler), but I don't feel a loss at the low end like I did with the H. So, if you're considering going with a supercharger or turbo in the future, the X will probably be the most beneficial from a performance point of view.

So there you have it, H pipe sounds better, but performs worse at the low end (with straight-through mufflers, at least.)
Old 04-20-2008, 12:24 AM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X Pipe vs. H Pipe (my review)

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 AM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Very nice info.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

That pretty much confirms what others have said before. Thanks for the info! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-23-2008, 01:47 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Nice info, I was looking into buying the X pipe already but this helps a lot.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Ya ditto. X pipe is the way to go on V6s!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

That pretty much confirms what others have said before. Thanks for the info! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Yep it's been like that...

X - Little more power, exotic sounding
H - Less power than X, muscle car sounding
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
trpcthndr
1st Gear Member

So my question is does anyone have what most people call "true duals" or straight pipes from cats to mufflers without any crossover? Unfortunately this is what I have. I'd bought some GT takeoffs and was so excited to get them installed but a) the drivers side cut was sloppy (I'll have to clean up with a dremel...at least it's in the right place which was my biggest fear) and b) they didn't put in any crossover like I thought they were gonna do. I thought I'd paid for an H-pipe. I admit I feel no lag or loss of low end power but it sounds R-I-C-E-Y!!!

Wonder if an H-pipe off a GT will work?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trpcthndr

So my question is does anyone have what most people call "true duals" or straight pipes from cats to mufflers without any crossover? Unfortunately this is what I have. I'd bought some GT takeoffs and was so excited to get them installed but a) the drivers side cut was sloppy (I'll have to clean up with a dremel...at least it's in the right place which was my biggest fear) and b) they didn't put in any crossover like I thought they were gonna do. I thought I'd paid for an H-pipe. I admit I feel no lag or loss of low end power but it sounds R-I-C-E-Y!!!

Wonder if an H-pipe off a GT will work?
Yes it will.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM
ToanTo

So quick question about the H's loss in power
how will it compare to the stock set up?
currently i've got a single gt takeoff and i definitely notice a gain, will putting the H with two gt takeoffs be less power than a single gt takeoff?

Quick Reply: X Pipe vs. H Pipe (my review)