Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

10% ethonal ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Default 10% ethonal ?

...or however you spell it..

I have noticed that all of the gas stations in my small town now have stickers on the pump that say "contains up to 10% ethonal"

I have read that it evaporates in your tank... anyone use this gas and is it recommended in our cars?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Spaunen
Banned

Default RE: 10% ethonal ?

Not made for mustangs I believe.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

That's ALL there is around here(New York, entire northeast)and has been that way for at least 10 years or more. Use to be only in the winter but it now seems to be sold year round. Suppose to help with the emissions and It will not hurt your Mustang! Only its gas mileage.Plus its the only gas available! I wouldn'tbe surprised if itgoes country wide.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:00 AM
vb101
1st Gear Member

It's ridiculous that ethanol is put into gas for emission reasons because it emits more harmful chemical byproducts than straight gasoline and it lowers your mileage to boot. Unfortunately it probably will be nationwide eventually despite the fact that the 10% ethanol blended gas is more expensive than straight gas, it's being heavily subsidized so you don't notice that particular aspect of bending gas and ethanol. Blending ethanol with gas was a bad idea and should never have been forced down our throats. If you can't tell I have a real problem ethanol in general and with the government forcing things down our throats whether we want it or not and whether it actually works as advertised or not, ethanol blended gas most definitely does NOT work as advertised.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Here in VIRGINIA, we don't have a choice, it's all 10% blended ethanol. I understand that it takes more energy to produce it then it saves when blended with gasoline. I haven't noticed any performance differences with the cars or the motorcycle. Just to be safe, I run some fuel injection cleaner through all the vehicles on occasion to keep the injectors clean. If you don't have blended fuel in your area now, you will someday. There was a rumor in the motorcycling community that they might up it to 20% ethanol in the future, that would NOT be a good thing.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vb101

It's ridiculous that ethanol is put into gas for emission reasons because it emits more harmful chemical byproducts than straight gasoline and it lowers your mileage to boot. Unfortunately it probably will be nationwide eventually despite the fact that the 10% ethanol blended gas is more expensive than straight gas, it's being heavily subsidized so you don't notice that particular aspect of bending gas and ethanol. Blending ethanol with gas was a bad idea and should never have been forced down our throats. If you can't tell I have a real problem ethanol in general and with the government forcing things down our throats whether we want it or not and whether it actually works as advertised or not, ethanol blended gas most definitely does NOT work as advertised.
ethanol was added to gas in place of MTBE. below is the main reason it was added to gas. Your statment about ethanol being heavily subsidized is correct but so is gas.

"The two oxygenates that were used were Methyl tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) and Ethanol. Both of these also act as an octane enhancer which has become important as engine technology has evolved and required higher octane fuels. Typically refiners preferred using MTBE as it was less expensive although Ethanol was used in some parts of the Midwest. In 2004 the state of California banned the use of MTBE after it was found to be entering the water supply and studies showed that it was a probable carcinogen. This provoked a further 17 states to move towards MTBE-free gasoline. As a result of the need for an alternate oxygenate, demand for ethanol doubled between 2000 and 2004 as can be seen from Figure 1."
Old 06-14-2008, 04:17 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Every type of fuel available around here is blended with 10% ethanol
Old 06-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

I live in the corn belt here in Ohio and we have a New Ethanol plant being built just out side of our town and one of the reasons corn and corn feed will be in short demand as most of the corn will be sent to be turned into Ethanol. Get use to it
Old 06-15-2008, 07:16 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

I had heard at one point that the Ethanol blend fuel can cause the seals in your engine to dry up and possibly cause premature engine failure if your engine wasn't designed to use ethanol blends (obviously the "flex-fuel" cars are ok) but I have no citation to back this up.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM
conor1148
2nd Gear Member

why cant the goverment just be happy with eating corn? why do they have to go and stick in in all our cars too?

Quick Reply: 10% ethonal ?