Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

throttle body + Spacer or Underdrive pulley kit + underdrive (Hermonic Balancer) pulley ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:41 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default throttle body + Spacer or Underdrive pulley kit + underdrive (Hermonic Balancer) pulley ?

wondering what I should do for my next performance mod , looking for what you guys think would be the better bet with gains in hp (4th) , torque (1st), and gas mileage (2nd) and bang for the buck (3rd)

1.BBK Throttle body 70mm + The Throttle body spacer = $342.28 after discount on americanmuscle.

2.MotoBlue underdrive harmonic balancer pulley ( this product but can get it cheaper http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6ta2.htm#98 ) (about $80ish) and Underdrive sets about $230 since American Muscle doesnt carry any S197 V6 Underdrive pulley kits - estimated = $310

which do you think is better IYO also difficulty of instal is relevant too .

Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: throttle body + Spacer or Underdrive pulley kit + underdrive (Hermonic Balancer) pulley ?

honestly havent heard anything about the TB and TB Spacer on a v6 but i know it is crap and worthless on the GT's...the underdrive pulleys are always a good bet though
Old 06-24-2008, 02:56 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: throttle body + Spacer or Underdrive pulley kit + underdrive (Hermonic Balancer) pulley ?

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

honestly havent heard anything about the TB and TB Spacer on a v6 but i know it is crap and worthless on the GT's...the underdrive pulleys are always a good bet though
Same here. I haven't heard whether or not a bigger TB works on the V6 but I know it doesn't do too much except cause problems on the GT. TB spacers are useless, don't waste your money.

Oh and I would highly recommend buying from some place other than RPMOutlet. There are many people here that have had problems with them in the past.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Same here. I haven't heard whether or not a bigger TB works on the V6 but I know it doesn't do too much except cause problems on the GT. TB spacers are useless, don't waste your money.

Oh and I would highly recommend buying from some place other than RPMOutlet. There are many people here that have had problems with them in the past.
+1 to everything he said!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

honestly i dont see what everybody has against RPMOutlet...i ordered some stuff from them a while back and it was at my door the next day, although their shop is located about 15 miles south of me...but atleast i got it
Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

seriously guys ? no on the throttle body ? cause like all the good performance v6 Mustang on youtube pushing over 250 hp at the wheels have the 70mm BBK one .

guess I'll get the harmonic balancer pulley then decide from there , I'm actually not getting it from that site but the person references it .

Anyone know if I'll get close to the 16 hp / 12 torque they claim ?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

no, we didnt say no to the throttle body...only no to the spacer. The TB may be really good on a 6er but it is crap on GT's unless you are pushing over 550whp and even then, people are usually only buying a GT500 TB. You may want to post this question in the 4.0 section and you may get a betterresponse
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 AM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

I am pretty sure I saw an underdrive pulley on Ebay today for like 90 bucks with a belt.

It wasn't the crank pulley, but the PHP alternator pulley. I think it is much easier to install too...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:45 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

seriously guys ? no on the throttle body ? cause like all the good performance v6 Mustang on youtube pushing over 250 hp at the wheels have the 70mm BBK one .
All these YouTube mustangs have dyno sheets posted? Or are you believing everything you read?
Many have dyno'd TBs with little to no gain on an NA car. They can also be problematic because you need to swap all the stock electronics. If you really want one check ot the Zabteck, it comes with electronics installed.
http://www.zabteck.com/07tb.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

dont most underdrive pulley kits come with like 4-5 pulleys though ?

Quick Reply: throttle body + Spacer or Underdrive pulley kit + underdrive (Hermonic Balancer) pulley ?