Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cs6 hood or new hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
mach1na
2nd Gear Member

Default cs6 hood or new hood scoop?

sooooo i'm at a crossroads yet again with the next mod on my list. i'm over my hoodscoop and it grew old fast. i'm very interested in getting the CS6 hood but price is a concern so as an alternative i was thinking about just swapping hood scoops in the mean time. what do you guys feel is the best way to go? not just appearance wise but price should be a factor also. let me know, my old scoop will be up for grabs once it's off.

Last edited by mach1na; 09-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:08 PM
hmartine
1st Gear Member

Default hood scoop

appearance and cost is one thing functionality is another. I am not a fan of just appearance stuff. If I were in your position, I would look into buying one that offers some real ram air into the breather....
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

I thinl one that would look good on your car is eather the mach 1 or 2 hood heres a link

http://www.mrbodykit.com/bodykits/hoods05_06.htm

their the first two
Old 09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

The CS6 hood is badass and functional. Another one that I really like is the Steeda Cowl hood. It's really up to you man. Hood will have to be painted as well. The hood scope will be a lot cheaper yet doesnt look as good.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM
JimC

Actually the CS6 hood isn't functional, the heat vents are closed off on it. The grills are fake. It is possible though to open it up so you can get some cooling with it.

The Terlingua hood from Shelby, which is similar to the CS6 but deeper, is functional.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The Terlingua hood from Shelby, which is similar to the CS6 but deeper, is functional.

That's the one I was thinking of, my bad.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
princessturtle
1st Gear Member

love the cs6 one. =) looks clean and functional. also unique.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by JimC

Got a link where you can buy it?
Old 09-07-2008, 10:13 PM
mignella254
2nd Gear Member

go for something that looks good and is cheap, you get zero performance gain with ram air or shakers or anything.

It has been disproved over and over again. It isn't worth the money.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

okay, this is getting old. you'll never get results from ram air or a shaker hood on a dyno. surprise, surprise, a dyno doesn't exactly replicate driving conditions because the car isn't actually moving through the air. ram air was only intended to restore air flow that gets lost due to high speeds, say above 50 or 60 mph. will it improve your 1/4 mi et's? no. will it improve your lap times on a track or road course? possibly. will it improve your highway mpg? yes. will it increase your high speed hp and tq? yes. will it ever show on a dyno? no. because as i stated above, the car isn't actually moving through the air. the fact that everyone considers a dyno the holy word of the pope is troubling. how does a machine that measures a cars results without the car actually moving provide the most accurate estimation of that car's capability? it's the most accurate we have so far, but it's nowhere the complete answer everyone's looking for. even the original shaker wasn't worth much until WOT.

if you want ram air or a shaker, go for it. you'll be paying for extra cool air flow, which is basically what most cai's do. it won't be as awesome as a cai, but most ram air hoods cost a lot less than the CS6 hood does, even if they don't look as good.

Quick Reply: cs6 hood or new hood scoop?