Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hi, Near Future Mustang Owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Default Hi, Near Future Mustang Owner with questions

Hi, I am looking at getting a V6 mustang due to their styling and heritage. I picked the V6 model b/c it is cheaper, has some go (210HP/240TQ stock isn't bad at all with a 3300lb curb weight), and doesn't get bad mpg 19/27 I think for the automatic(I know how to drive stick, but I will not drive it in 1/2 hr of rush hr or more a day).

On to the questions:
-Is $14k a good price for an 07 V6 Dark Red mustang w/24k miles, leather, traction control, abs, A/T, Shaker 500, and some other option I forgot I think(not pony package)?
-I know they are rated at 19/27mpg, but there must be a way to make them get better mpg other than driving habits. Tell me what you know on this. I had another car where I took the spare/jack out and gained .5mpg while carrying my AAA card. I also hear there is possibilities of increasing with an economy tune and maybe straight through muffler? The back seat looks useless too so if there is a rear seat removal kit I'd do that for looks and mpg too.

I'll do some searching on my questions while I get input from you guys too.

PS-I plan on keeping the car for at least 4-5yrs so I don't mind making it my own with taking out the rear seat and other stuff like that.

Thanks and I love these forums already from what I've seen.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
kn0x`
2nd Gear Member

1) I payed $17,250 for 05 Vista Blue mustang with 15000 miles, leather, manual, and shaker 500 with no pony package. $14k is a really good deal for what your getting. I just looked on Autotrader.com(where i bought my car) and the lowest price near me is 15k and theres only like 4 like that. The rest are in the 17's.
2) I barely get 18mpg so if your just looking for a car that is good with gas, the mustang isnt your best choice, but the performance makes up for it for the price . I heard if you get an intake and tune, you will get a good change in mpg. The back seats aren't that bad...the passenger side back seat isnt bad because you can move the seat up to get more leg room... as for the drivers side, if you have a clutch, im not moving my seat an inch. I dont know if there is a back seat removable kit...but I dont know because I never thought of it.

It seems like you want a car that has good mpg. If that is true, get another car. I chose the mustang because it had a decent amount of power for a v6 and I can do numerous mods to my baby. and my dad wont let me get a v8 until out of college .

Last edited by kn0x`; 09-14-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Price seems about right. You can get an economy tune people say it helps.... Back seat is good for kids!

Hope this helps
Old 09-14-2008, 05:07 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

thats a good price

+1 on the tune for getting you better mpg

you can get a rear seat removal at americanmuscle.com for about $150
Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/seat-delete-kit-05.html

rear seat delete
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Not looking for an amazing mpg car, just want something that's decent on gas, looks nice, and isn't slow. lol. The V6 mustang fits that perfect. My parents finally allowed me to get a newer car, so I chose the mustang which they will cosign a loan with me on and I will pay it off monthly and get a low interest rate on it. Good deal. I thought about the mpg increasing stuff since gas is going up and I don't want to pay out the *** for gas while enjoying a nice ride. Most stuff will pay for themselves down the road it looks.

From what I have researched on this site, these mods should help mpg a little themselves and a good amount all together:
-SCT Tuner (economy tune) $350
-Hi flow magnaflow muffler/axelback $300
-Shaftmasters Aluminum Driveshaft $500
-K&N air filter (washable) $45
-Front swaybar/radiator support delete $170
-Rear Seat Delete kit-$160
-some minor weight reduction like spare/jack, rear floor mats, and that's it so far.

I'll be ordering those things as soon as I get my car.

My goal is to get to 24mpg in the city and 30 on the highway. I'd be really happy with that. I hope those mods will do that, we shall see.

Nice, I am definitely getting that rear seat delete kit. I won't have use for the rear seats since I already examined how small they are and none of my friends would be able to fit into them.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Hey man first off congrats on finding this forum, then congrats are in order for wanting a mustang.
In regards to your above list, the tuner if you shop around a little&you can score a used one for under $200 easy I got mine for $105, the exhaust I would go duals like a pypes or someone's stock gt takeoffs can be had easily for around the same price as you mentioned above just better overall look, imo dual tips under the bumper? thats how stangs are supposed to look The driveshaft is good but I would get a used full intake instead will work better with your tuning&be cheaper reap more MPG benefits, the front swaybar/radiator support delete will weaken the handling of your stang&imo not be worth it for a daily driver but your choice. Not to mention you get in a wreck&the insurance company sees the delete that could cost you. The rear seat delete kit can't argue on that as I want one myself just reluctant to pay that much money for what I understand amounts to a fancy piece of cardboard with some carpet over it.
Whatever you do good luck and if you have any questions the search feature here is very comprehensive&helpfull. Oh yah don't forget to post pics when available we live on pics around here
Also my car is a 06 4.0 full exhaust intake,zabtek ported tb, suspension etc etc&with a VMP 87 perf tune I average almost 25MPG mixed city/traffic/highway driving 27+mpg on a recent trip with the A/C blasting 2 people luggage&75 on cruise. These cars can get good gas mileage compared to say an SUV but honda's they are not lol trust me I've had quite a few&wouldn't trade the sound/driving experience of my stang for anything like a Honda again!
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

that rear seat delete looks like ***
Old 09-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
that rear seat delete looks like ***
So in your opinion, is the rear seat delete kit supposed to be flashy? I agree it is overpriced but what do you expect from a rear seat delete kit? Flashy design or something... I'm curious.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4literv6
Hey man first off congrats on finding this forum, then congrats are in order for wanting a mustang.

Also my car is a 06 4.0 full exhaust intake,zabtek ported tb, suspension etc
etc&with a VMP 87 perf tune I average almost 25MPG mixed city/traffic/highway driving 27+mpg on a recent trip with the A/C blasting 2 people luggage&75 on cruise. These cars can get good gas mileage compared to say an SUV but honda's they are not lol trust me I've had quite a few&wouldn't trade the sound/driving experience of my stang for anything like a Honda again!
Nice car!

Thanks for all the info, especially the mpg stuff. I would like to look around for a tuner, but I would rather just by one I can find now instead of waiting/looking for a while.

I could live with the front sway thing because I probably won't be taking many turns that fast and in an accident I doubt that the insurance company could prove it had anything to do with an accident.

And I agree the rear seat delete kit is overpriced, but I wouldn't be able to make one myself and I hear that with the rear seats out it's just metal which would look pretty bad and stick out without something over it.

Quick Reply: Hi, Near Future Mustang Owner with questions