Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI/Tuner Issue/Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
jrsyedb
1st Gear Member

Exclamation CAI/Tuner Issue/Question?

Well, I purchased a C&N Intake and SCT XCAL Tuner from Brenspeed about a month ago and finally installed it on my 2008 V6 Mustang over the weekend, I got to tell you, I feel a significant differerence, I can feel the extra torque and horsepower, a definite must buy for anyone who wants to modify their mustang. Now here comes my questions/issues . . . . of course, me being impatient and excited to install the tuner (which the intake was a piece of cake, very easy installation) I didn't read the instructions for the tuner, because I heard it was very self explanatory. Well, I was able to upload brenspeed's custom tune with no problem, I accidentally scewed up my stock tune. I guess when installing a tuner, the tuner uploads the custom tune and the downloads your stock tune for future refrence if you want to put your mustang back to the stock tune. Well, when I first started the upload, I didnt pick the "custom" tune and instead uploaded SCT's pre-programmed tune, so now instead of having my stock tune on my tuner, I have SCT pre-programmed tune and when this is loaded, my mustang runs like **** (of course because the pre-programmed tune isn't configured for my mustang). Grant it, the custom tune from brenspeed works and my mustang is running great, I am concerned that I no longer have my stock tune stored.

Here are my questions:

1) Does having the intake void Ford's warranty?
2) What about the tuner, does this void the warranty?
3) If I wanted to get the stock tune back, what are my options? Can Ford do this for me without voiding my warranty? and if so, how much will it be?
4) Can Brenspeed send me a stock tune for my Mustang? ( I guess I can ask them this)
5) Has anyone ran into this issue or am I the only idiot who didn't follow directions, lol?

I would just hate to take my mustang to Ford for an oil change or any engine problems and find out my warranty is voided becuase I no longer can put my tune back to stock, any info would be greatly appreciated.

But besides all this, my mustang is running better than ever, I actually can feel the power when I push it, can't wait to finally install an exhaust system.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

I don't know much about this but check with Brenspeed, I think they can send you a stock tune.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

-Yes it does but you can just take it off and flash your car back to stock before you take it in.

-Same as above.

3) If I wanted to get the stock tune back, what are my options? Can Ford do this for me without voiding my warranty? and if so, how much will it be?

- Call brenspeed and explain to them what happened they should be able to send you a stock tune.

5) Has anyone ran into this issue or am I the only idiot who didn't follow directions, lol?

-I have never heard of this happening but you never know someone else may have done the same thing. You'll be fine once you get the stock tune from brenspeed.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:23 PM
jrsyedb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by viperrmk

-Yes it does but you can just take it off and flash your car back to stock before you take it in.

-Same as above.

- Call brenspeed and explain to them what happened they should be able to send you a stock tune.

-I have never heard of this happening but you never know someone else may have done the same thing. You'll be fine once you get the stock tune from brenspeed.

Thanks, i will definitely call Brenspeed and see what they say. Appreciate the responses.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Here we go again...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Peeps need to understand what is being asked and how to respond appropriately. Misinformation breeds myths which breeds more Misinformation.

To the OP: Does having the CAI void my warranty?
NO IT DOES NOT. Unless the CAI directly causes the failure of the OEM part, Ford CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. For example, if your Power steering goes out, that has nothing to do with your CAI therefore the warranty for the P/S is still in effect.

Your Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) sensor fails. The MAF IS connected directly to the CAI therefore Ford could say it voided your warranty and may not cover the defective MAF. In some cases the dealership works on Performance vehicles and may overlook the relationship.

Second Example. You're complaining about a misfire and you have the aftermarket tune. The dealership may refuse to work on the car until the OEM tune is put back in order to allow them to properly diagnose the problem. Again it does not void the warranty unless the misfire causes burnt valves from running too lean. If a coil is found to be bad or a bad plug is the culprit you are still covered under your warranty.

In a nutshell, just installing an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. It only voids the warranty on the part you replaced and can only affect the warranty on related parts if the replacement part is found to cause the problem.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
jrsyedb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Here we go again...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Peeps need to understand what is being asked and how to respond appropriately. Misinformation breeds myths which breeds more Misinformation.

To the OP: Does having the CAI void my warranty?
NO IT DOES NOT. Unless the CAI directly causes the failure of the OEM part, Ford CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. For example, if your Power steering goes out, that has nothing to do with your CAI therefore the warranty for the P/S is still in effect.

Your Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) sensor fails. The MAF IS connected directly to the CAI therefore Ford could say it voided your warranty and may not cover the defective MAF. In some cases the dealership works on Performance vehicles and may overlook the relationship.

Second Example. You're complaining about a misfire and you have the aftermarket tune. The dealership may refuse to work on the car until the OEM tune is put back in order to allow them to properly diagnose the problem. Again it does not void the warranty unless the misfire causes burnt valves from running too lean. If a coil is found to be bad or a bad plug is the culprit you are still covered under your warranty.

In a nutshell, just installing an aftermarket part does not void your warranty. It only voids the warranty on the part you replaced and can only affect the warranty on related parts if the replacement part is found to cause the problem.

Wow, this is great news, thank you so much. I kind of figured that, but wasn't sure. Its good to know that regardless of what, my warranty will not get voided. So if something happens to my car and it is misfiring, they will refuse to work on my car until it is flashed back to stock tune, which i am sure they can do that as well. Awesome, thanks again.