Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

20's on a V6

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
davidrc517

Default 20's on a V6

Has anyone tried putting 20's on their V6? I'm curious why Ford made the wheel wells so damn big that, in my opinion, you need 20's in there to really make it look like a tight fit. I think there's still too much wheel gap with 18's. And I currently have 16's, so you can imagine how happy I am with mine.

But back to the 20's, is there not enough power in a V6 to make the 20's worth it?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:15 AM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

the diameter wont change a whole lot, it needs to be lowered but the weight of the rim will obviously increase. I have driven a stock V6 with 20s and I notice the difference. You could counter the loss with a CAI and tuner later. IMO V6 doesnt look good with 20s unless you have a body kit or something.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

sure... there's enough "power" to have 20s on a sixxer will there be a noticeable difference in drivability... undoubtedly yes. if you think 20s will look best then i say go for it. cuz personally i think they look good and you DONT need a body kit 2 have 20s on ur car.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Here's the thing and natural kind of hit on it but putting 20s on will not shorten up the wheel gap. In order to do that you need to put lowering spring on but I also agree that 20s on a stock v6 mustang don't look too hot jmo though.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

There's hardly a noticeable power difference at all. I'm on stock suspension and I don't think the gap is bad at all either, lowering isn't a necessity.

I have the GT front bumper and rockers though which make the rims look a lot better than the stock v6 body parts IMO
Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

whenever 20's are mentioned on our cars everyone brings up performance. is there any evidence on how much power is loss? other then the fact that someone saying "you can feel can the difference".

Last edited by o7 tungsten; 02-08-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:37 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Wheel selection has allot to do with it. I was JUST about to say that 20's generally look ghetto-fabulous...but Amort's car looks quite good.

18's are the best of both worlds WRT a balance of looks and performance...but you will still to drop an inch to lose the gap. I personally dont mind it...has a muscle car look. Afterall, this isnt a Civic.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by o7 tungsten
whenever 20's are mentioned on our cars everyone brings up performance. is there any statistical evidence on how much power is loss? other then the fact that someone saying "you can feel can the difference".
theres no statistical evidence i know of regarding the loss of power. however power was a question of concern posed by the OP. and as u stated theres no evidence so in order to answer the OP the only thing i could say is yes you CAN feel a difference of some sort...
Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolfpup
theres no statistical evidence i know of regarding the loss of power. however power was a question of concern posed by the OP. and as u stated theres no evidence so in order to answer the OP the only thing i could say is yes you CAN feel a difference of some sort...
there was a member in the 3.8 section who picked up 27 rwhp on a dyno going from 20s back to stock 15s (i think his name was SAI or something?) they weigh alot more, and they usually are slightly taller but that depends on tire sizes, notice i said usually.

only things id recomemnd are a drop, cause it will look like an explorer, and upgrading the crappy *** stock 7.5 with either detroit/eaton or upgrading to an 8.8
Old 02-08-2009, 01:29 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by o7 tungsten
whenever 20's are mentioned on our cars everyone brings up performance. is there any statistical evidence on how much power is loss? other then the fact that someone saying "you can feel can the difference".
Yes there is. Get exact wheels and I can calculate the difference...it is not too hard to reproduce.

Here is an easy task if you have a set of golf clubs at home. Pick up a wedge and a driver (a modern driver, not something from the 80's).

Grab them at the grip and begin a full cycle in 360 degrees.

Now repeat with the wedge.

Lets pretend they are the same weight (they will be close FWIW). Feel the difference? That is wasted torque as the overall wheel diameter is the same between 20's with 35's and 16's with 65's. Add in an extra 7-12 pounds per wheel and the problem gets even worse.