Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals on a V6 fusion and not on a V6 stang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Default Duals on a V6 fusion and not on a V6 stang?

I think I kind of figured on why fusion and edges get duals and mustangs V6 don't get duals. The reasons is that even if our dual v6 mustangs don't sound like V8's at low Rpms they do sound pretty aggresive. Now a ford sales person wants to sell a v8 and not a V6. So he tells customers that v8 have a more aggresive sound and it comes with duals. So customer would'nt think twice of it and go for and 8. Because if I was financially limited and ford made there mustangs V6's with duals they would sound great and I would go with the v6. So it all has to do with Sales. That what I think maybe I'm wrong who knows. What you guys think. Oh yeah one more thing does having a big V6 4.0L give it an more aggresive sound then other V6 which are less then 4.0.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
groved
1st Gear Member

I got into this discussion the other night at a BBQ with a gut driving a GT/CS. The more I thought about it the more I remember the sales people mentioning the sound of the GT when they were trying to sell me one. (which was only 2 weeks ago) So I'm on board with you on the whole sales pitch theory.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Talking

Wow So I'm not crazy lol
Old 02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Default Does loud sound good on a V6 ?

I think the dual exhaust sounds great on a V8 GT. I do have a GT takeoff on my V6 and at idle it sounds pretty good. But at higher RPM's it is actually embarrassing.

I think the stock muffler sounds better on the V6, especially at the higher RPM's. The only reason I am leaving the takeoff muffler on is that I think it did help a bit on performance and gas mileage. But I am not even sure of that.

I have read that most people believe the GT Takeoff exhaust or any aftermarket single or dual will give about 5 to 12 HP. If that is so then the tradeoff in sound is probably worth it.

I think that a lot of people would be turned off by the sound of the loud dual exhaust on a V6 Mustang. Marketing may have decided that those in the market for a V6 might not like the duals - especially loud ones.

I do think that maybe quiet duals on the V6 might sound good. But these V6's dont sound that good with loud mufflers.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt

I do think that maybe quiet duals on the V6 might sound good. But these V6's don't sound that good with loud mufflers.
Totally disagree. My car sounds fantastic with the FRPP setup. My family is loaded with car buffs and they all assumed it was a small block 8.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

+1 I have the FRPP Dual GTA's and they sound amazing people think I have a V8 at times. It does sound like small block V8.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

hm, that is definitely an interesting theory. I too have asked myself that question over and over....
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
venom800tt

I read somewhere that Ford says dual on V6 would make it more expensive so they came with single to reduce the msrp price.
Agree that they want GTs to sound better and marketing too.
I disagree with "Frank Bullitt" too, my Macs sound way better and louder than stock GTs, so loud muffler do sound awesome on 4.0L
Old 02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

My guess would be it's because the Fusion V6s are higher, more expensive models. the higher models usually get better standard equipment.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

I may be wrong, but save the Turbo 4cyl Fox Mustangs,
Ford has never marketed any performance Mustangs other
than V8's. I believe their strategy has been the 6ers go
to the rental fleets and the budget minded buyers. I guess
they figure the aftermarket will take care of the rest of us.
Hope to see the Ecoboost V6 in the new gen Mustangs, but
I wouldn't hold my breath. It's suppose to happen and GM
putting a 300HP V6 standard in the new Camaro may force
their hand. Then we will see duals on our 6ers.
We can only hope. V8's are a dying breed they say, but we've
all heard that many times before.
Bob

Quick Reply: Duals on a V6 fusion and not on a V6 stang?