Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Battery Tender Plus gets 2 thumbs up for V6 Pony

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs up Battery Tender Plus gets 2 thumbs up for V6 Pony

What a pain to go in to the garage only to find that the Pony's battery is dead after a few weeks of non driving.

Well I broke down and ordered a Battery Tender Plus this weekend. It came in Wednesday. On a leap of faith I ordered it with the 25 ft. Extension Lead and Cigarette Lighter Adaptor. There were good reviews on this setup in the Ferrari forms, so I figured these guys should know something about vehicles that get a lot of garage time.

I cranked up the Pony and let her run for 30 minutes. It had been 12 days since she was driven last. The Battery Tender Plus only outputs 1.25 AMPS when charging so I was prepared for it to take a couple of days to fully charge the Pony.

Everything works great. The cable is thin enough to run through the gap in the driver's door. The door easily closes. The Mustang's lighter socket is always hot (I never thought this would be such a benefit until now).

The light was blinking green this morning after about 12 hours of use. This indicates the battery is at a 80%+ charged state. This afternoon it was solid green. Cranked her up and I can't remember the last time the starter whizzed in to action like this. Whoopee. Money well spent.

www.batterytender.com

Last edited by Buckshot Barry; 03-05-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
What a pain to go in to the garage only to find that the Pony's battery is dead after a few weeks of non driving.
Check out your electrical system then as you have either a bad battery, a problem charging...or a small draw someplace. Run it to Autozone or Advanced Auto and have them check for all three as they will do it for free.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

your battery should not have drained during that time. There is a TSB regarding the Shaker's amp.. you may have that problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

honestly i think you're better off buying a new batter like an optima red top... just my opinion
Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Check out your electrical system then as you have either a bad battery, a problem charging...or a small draw someplace. Run it to Autozone or Advanced Auto and have them check for all three as they will do it for free.
Well it's been about 5 months since I opened this can of worms, but what the heck, here I go again. :-)

My Pony is 2 years and 1 month old with 683 total miles. It gets driven very little and when it does, only for about 30 minutes at a time. The battery rarely gets the chance to fully charge. Battery Tender Plus to the rescue.

Let the flames begin
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Flaming? What flaming...I just got one of these today...to take care of my battery..

http://www.southernmustangparts.com/...300-p-361.html
Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

No flaming. Hey if it works out for you and makes your battery last, then good! just letting us know how it works for you is always helpful; that's what this forum is all about.

The rest of us just replace the battery or handle it as the battery dies.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

flame
the door weatherstrip is not liking you and will respond with a whistle at high speeds
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TPony
Flaming? What flaming...I just got one of these today...to take care of my battery..

http://www.southernmustangparts.com/...300-p-361.html
Thanks for the business!!!

We appreciate it.

The CTEK is a nice charger

www.southernmustangparts.com to check them out!

Ken
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

When I took my Mustang in this past Jan. to the dealer for state inspection as well as regular maintenance, I said something to the tech about the hard to start situation. He said to get a battery tender or trickler to put on it if it isn't driven enough. He said the car's PC memory is always on so it does draw some current which may cause your battery to go dead.
The Shaker system could be another factor but you would have to completely change your head unit with an after market brand to correct that problem.

Yesterday, I started my car up for the first time in 8 days. It didn't want to crank up at first so I just let it sit for 30 seconds and tried again and it started up. It is annoying that Ford put such a weak battery in our stangs.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Plus gets 2 thumbs up for V6 Pony