Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:08 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Default BBK CAI

Ok, so I searched for this, but the search engine has trouble searching for BBK since it's 3 letters long haha. I found a BBK intake locally here in atlanta for less than 100 bucks and I'm thinking of picking it up, I just have a few questions beforehand. First, I'd like thoughts from people who actually have this intake, just how do you like it, what kind of gains you saw/felt, how is it holding up, etc. Second, can bama write a tune for this intake? I know that this one claims that it doesn't require a tune, but to realize the greatest gains you really need a tune. I'm going with bama, since his headquarters is just a little over 2 hours from me and I'd like to stay as locally as I can for something like this. The third question is where are some places to look for used programmers? I'd rather not drop 400 dollars on one. I found a diablosport for 200 dollars, but I'd rather go with an SCT if I can, just because there's a lot more support for it out there.

Thanks as always guys
Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

wolfpup has the bbk. he runs it without a tune but he told me that he uses higher than 87 octane and hasn't gotten any codes. it realy looks like a very smooth flowing pipe so with a tune, it should perform pretty well. i'm sure bama has tunes for this intake. he's got tunes for just about all aftermarket intakes as far as i know. good luck and good deal.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for that info, I plan on getting a tune this summer, just not right now for monetary reasons. I see that you use a diablosport tuner, I'm assuming it works well for you? Also, I found an SCT xcal2 for sale locally, what are the differences between the xcal2 & 3? Sorry, I'm ignorant about programmers.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

not sure on the specifics of the x2 vs x3 but if you purchase through a custome tune shop, the programmer you choose won't be too relevent since the tunes will be custom written (not from diablo or sct) so choose whichever is the best deal and/or whichever you feel most comfortable with in terms of "extra" features. good luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:42 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by Sancho805
wolfpup has the bbk. he runs it without a tune but he told me that he uses higher than 87 octane and hasn't gotten any codes. it realy looks like a very smooth flowing pipe so with a tune, it should perform pretty well. i'm sure bama has tunes for this intake. he's got tunes for just about all aftermarket intakes as far as i know. good luck and good deal.
pretty much took the words right outta my mouth lol
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
not sure on the specifics of the x2 vs x3 but if you purchase through a custome tune shop, the programmer you choose won't be too relevent since the tunes will be custom written (not from diablo or sct) so choose whichever is the best deal and/or whichever you feel most comfortable with in terms of "extra" features. good luck.
I think I'm going to check into that xcal2. I don't really car about any extra features, I just want to be able to put tunes on it, flash them onto my car, turn off the programmer, and throw it into the glove box. I'm gonna call bama tomorrow if I get a chance and run all this down with them, I think they can help me with all my questions best because I'm buying tunes from him.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and thanks for the help guys, I'm glad sites like these are available to guys like me.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

The most important thing is the tune. A proper CAI with a good tune makes the whole car unleash into a new beast.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
The most important thing is the tune. A proper CAI with a good tune makes the whole car unleash into a new beast.
Spot on!

A good tune with ANY tuner will yield dramatic results (especially on an automatic). They can write you a tune NOW with no CAI that will make you think someone swapped motors on you.

A CAI without a custom tune is a total waste of money. Getting the tune now, and then modding the tune later (Bama will do it for free) is a great plan.

BTW, grab that Predator for $200. That is a smokin deal. Per Doug at Bama...there just isnt any difference in regards to us loading custom tunes. A tuner is a pilsner glass or beer mug to get the beer to your belly...how it gets there is not real important...the beer itslef is what matters...that beer is the custom tune.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I'm running the 93 octane race tune from BAMA with the BBK cai. I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH TO MAKE SURE IT HAS THE SLIGHT REDUCTION AT THE MAF SENSOR or even with a tune it will throw a code. The tube and cone filter both still look good and I've had mine for about 15000 miles. I've not had any other cai so I can't really compare the gains but it did pick up I think a tenth or 2 in the 1/8th.
I would try a different cai but my plan is to be s/c'ed in 2010

Quick Reply: BBK CAI