Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got my duals installed! (GT muff. custom H)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Default Got my duals installed! (GT muff. custom H)

haha i'm just excited about it and thought I'd share some pics. I bought these mufflers six months ago and only installed the passenger side as i saved up for the full install. I got distracted with other upgrades but finally finished up my first mod i bought for the car. Install was really easy and inexpensive (pipe fabrication and install: $175) and i'm extremely satisfied. Unfortunately the freeway was pretty backed up and i didn't do much street driving but i can say for sure the car sounds REALLY deep and i can feel a good rumble even at idle. I just took my friend out for a spin and we can definitely feel an increase of low end power, not a loss as some have said. Here's the pics, if there is any interest I'll make an in depth video:

Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
dbirdrm
1st Gear Member

very nice looks great! Im looking to do the same set up i can get gt mufflers for like 60 bucks and then should i just bring the mifflers to an auto body place and tell them to make a custom pipe or should i buy a pipe from somewhere?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment You want to call around to muffler shops and ask them how much it would be fabricate and install an H-pipe and midpipe for a dual exhaust conversion for a v6 mustang. I got quotes ranging from the $175 i went with to just over $300. Although that high quote was from someone who sounded less educated. The average quote was about $230. You could order an x/h pipe online, but i went custom because i knew i wanted an H over an X and i knew the H pipe they make wouldn't be much better (if at all) than one I buy. I don't regret it at all
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

very nice man! what influenced your choice of H over X?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

The deeper sound was honestly more of a priority than the slight performance gain. I wanted to get as close to a deep rumble as I could right now and I know if I got an X i'd always think about how much more i'd like the sound if I got an H while trying to qualify my choice by trying to notice a performance gain. I've driven on the set up for about 70 miles now and I can say i'm getting pushed back into my seat much more than expected (since I expected no real power gain) so i feel like i got the best of both, or at least pretty close.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Looks great! That's exactly what I'm doing except different axle backs and your post is getting me so excited!! So did you provide only the axle backs and they fab'd the H and mid pipes? Did you go 2.5"?

The quote I just got was 275 for complete installation and fab of the H and mid pipes. The only thing I'm providing is the axle backs and the driver-side hangers. Maybe that's not such a good deal?!?!?!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:40 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I'm sure the quotes vary by area, it wouldn't hurt to look around for more prices, obviously, but maybe that's a normal price for where you live. As far as the size of the pipes, i meant to ask to make sure that they are 2" but i'm not sure if I did. But looking under the car, the piping looks totally symmetrical. I might take a measuring tape to it but the shop had done the conversion many times before so I trust them. You'll love the results, especially with the Borlas, i hope to get some eventually. Its funny though, one of the guys that runs the shop says he likes the sound of the GT take-offs for the 6 much better than the magnaflows or flowmasters, which he sells.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 AM
WHATmynamechanged
Banned

nice, any pics of the custom H?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Don't have any right now, but I'll snap some tomorrow for you
Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Looks nice! I like the rolled tips too

Quick Reply: Got my duals installed! (GT muff. custom H)