Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Let's talk dual exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:03 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Probably so, but that goes down to H vs X pipe. X's have shown to prevent bp loss over H pipes. But needless to say, it is all so minimal that it isn't even worth discussing.

GO for the sound and looks.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

a better flowing exhaust is going to support engine modifications later down the road, like cai and tune...and it really is a "must" for the v6 (imo)
Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

FRPP is definitely most recommended, but also more pricey than others. Some people have got setups for around $200-$225 with installation included on here.
Is it really true that you loose hp off the line???
Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 PM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
FRPP is definitely most recommended, but also more pricey than others. Some people have got setups for around $200-$225 with installation included on here.
Is it really true that you loose hp off the line???
Where'd they get those set ups?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by txaggie582
Where'd they get those set ups?
Local shops, custom piping and H pipe. Check around the pricing in shops around your area.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I'm running the FRPP with the GTA mufflers that are used on the Shelby GT's. The new FRPP exhaust runs the GTB mufflers that are used on the Bullitts. The GTB's are a little quieter than the GTA's.

I did the install myself in my driveway. Not to hard to do. I recommend a Sawzall for cutting the stock Y-pipe when you put in the FRPP X.

Before I ran the full FRPP, I ran just the single GTA muffler on the stock piping. I picked up 2mpg and the car pulled better in the midrange and top end. Good for passing on the highway.

Pretty much the same after I put in the full setup.

Sounds good. Sometimes I think it's a little on the quiet side. I'm tempted to try a set of Stingers, but they're known for droning.

The FRPP is a little pricey, but the quality is top notch. If I were to do it over, I'd probably just have a shop put together a custom dual with H-pipe, and I'd throw on a couple of those new KR/FR500S mufflers or whatever those are.

I don't think the X pipe is such a big benefit over an H for our even fire V6. On a V8, the X is a little less restrictive because of odd firing.

My friend and I put on a single GT muffler on his V6. His car showed the same benefits as mine when I had the single GTA on it.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I'm planning on going to a local shop and having them fabricate something and hoping to pickup some GT mufflers for around $50...

Is this true you loose acceleration off the line???
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

So would it be cheaper just to buy mufflers and have a shop put on a pipe?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Probably your cheapest route.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I'm planning on going to a local shop and having them fabricate something and hoping to pickup some GT mufflers for around $50...

Is this true you loose acceleration off the line???
I didn't have that problem, and neither did my friend on his V6.

Exhaust backpressure can help increase cylinder pressure at low rpm at the expense of flow at the top end. So you can have a little more torque off the line compared to having too little back pressure.

Might have a problem if you have multiple mods that increase engine breathing beyond capacity of the MAF to meter accurately for keeping a/f in range.

Decent tune should make everything ok.

Exhaust, CAI, Bama race tune.

Quick Reply: Let's talk dual exhaust...